How long do Beardies live?

Ellie2015

All three of my Beardies are over 10 years old. I always thought they lived longer than this but the other day I read they live to around 10 years. And then today I read it is 5 to 10 years. So, which is it? I guess I kind of want a heads up. And how many superworms do you guys think they need in a single week. They act like they are wanting to be fed more. I only feed them once a week protein maybe twice at times. And then vegetables every day. The problem I have with vegetables though it's either all or nothing with them. They dont eat them at all or they eat too much. I guess it's too much because they end up with diarrhea from them. But Iam only filling their lizard size bowls. But it's always been this way. What vegetables you ask? They love sweet peppers and spring lettuce mixes from the store. Kale, sometimes carrots. As far as superworms I feed them until they dobt want anymore. It's less these days but usually around 15 for my bigger Beardies and around 8 for my stunted growth beardie I found.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
There are folks that see 13 or 14 years, I've seen stories of longer but can't prove or disprove it. I think it largely depends on how well they are cared for and probably gentics as well. To have 3 thats 10 plus you must be taking good care of them, i hope you see 100 years outta em 🙂

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Back in the early 2000's, 10-12 years was about the agreed upon expectation. It's quite telling IMO that now many sources are telling people to expect 5-10 years, that's a huge drop off in life expectancy. Largely contributed to by poor breeding practices, and a fairly recent trend in over feeding dragons to get them near adult size in 6-8 months.

If you pay attention to the owners on this site who have dragons past the 10 year mark, you will find a lot of them are actually quite similar in their husbandry and feeding practices.

-Brandon

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AcidicReality
Top Bottom