How long can a bearded dragon go without a UVB tube? Has anyone else dealt with Zoo Med’s return policy?

sunnystunna

Beardie name(s)
Oslo/Ozzie
Hi! So I woke up this morning and my three month old reptisun uvb fixture was not working. I went and bought a new bulb, and it still doesn’t work. It’s the fixture itself that is broken.

I have contacted zoo med since it is still under warranty, but with it being a holiday weekend, and it saying they reply within three days, it could be Friday before I hear from them. On top of that, the warranty says expect it to take 4-6 weeks to get a replacement. My pet store doesn’t sell the actual fixture that I use, just the bulb, so I’ll have to order it online which will also take a few days, even if I don’t wait to hear from zoo med. I also thought about just buying a cheap uvb coil or something for the time being, just as a temporary fix. I really don’t know what to do in this situation.

I’m quite upset with this being the policy of a pet care brand that sells something so vital to a loved pet’s life, and I also really don’t want to have to chip into my savings to buy a new fixture when I have the right to a replacement.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hi! So I woke up this morning and my three month old reptisun uvb fixture was not working. I went and bought a new bulb, and it still doesn’t work. It’s the fixture itself that is broken.

I have contacted zoo med since it is still under warranty, but with it being a holiday weekend, and it saying they reply within three days, it could be Friday before I hear from them. On top of that, the warranty says expect it to take 4-6 weeks to get a replacement. My pet store doesn’t sell the actual fixture that I use, just the bulb, so I’ll have to order it online which will also take a few days, even if I don’t wait to hear from zoo med. I also thought about just buying a cheap uvb coil or something for the time being, just as a temporary fix. I really don’t know what to do in this situation.

I’m quite upset with this being the policy of a pet care brand that sells something so vital to a loved pet’s life, and I also really don’t want to have to chip into my savings to buy a new fixture when I have the right to a replacement.
I would replace it and contact them tell them you have replaced it and to refund the money- keep your receipt and shipping info etc so they refund the money - in the meantime you can take him outside for good uvb till you get the new one- 30 min or so sitting on you - watch the heat tho I don't know what the weather is like where you are --

sunnystunna

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Oslo/Ozzie
I would replace it and contact them tell them you have replaced it and to refund the money- keep your receipt and shipping info etc so they refund the money - in the meantime you can take him outside for good uvb till you get the new one- 30 min or so sitting on you - watch the heat tho I don't know what the weather is like where you are --
Would they be willing to refund me the money? I’ve never dealt with them so I don’t know what to expect their customer service to be like.

It’s pretty warm here, just extremely humid. I’ll try to take him out when I can, it’s just hard because I’m usually at school or work from 9:30 until dark.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Would they be willing to refund me the money? I’ve never dealt with them so I don’t know what to expect their customer service to be like.

It’s pretty warm here, just extremely humid. I’ll try to take him out when I can, it’s just hard because I’m usually at school or work from 9:30 until dark.
I would call them -- they should be able to refund the money if you have the new receipt for the one your getting now- how high is the humidity?

sunnystunna

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Oslo/Ozzie
I would call them -- they should be able to refund the money if you have the new receipt for the one your getting now- how high is the humidity?
It’s like 85% outside. I have two dehumidifiers in his enclosure, my fan on, and an air conditioner constantly running and I still can only keep his humidity in his enclosure at 45-50. But I wiggled my uvb tube a little yesterday and it suddenly turned on. Seems like it just has a short in it, so hopefully I’ll get my replacement in before it decides to go dead.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
It’s like 85% outside. I have two dehumidifiers in his enclosure, my fan on, and an air conditioner constantly running and I still can only keep his humidity in his enclosure at 45-50. But I wiggled my uvb tube a little yesterday and it suddenly turned on. Seems like it just has a short in it, so hopefully I’ll get my replacement in before it decides to go dead.
Yes that is pretty high humidity -- 40-50% humidity is optimal so your good there -- are you using a digital probe hygrometer?

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
I have other threads about the zoomeds, i bought the 1st one at Christmas. It was dead straight out of the box. The pet store exchanged it. Bought 3rd and 4th in April they failed within a couple months. The 2nd (the one that was already a replacement) failed a few weeks later. Now I'm Using the Arcadia's in all 3 habitats, so far so good.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
That is the link to my thread with a video of what the 3rd and 4th fixtures did. I could only see it with the camera, not at all with the eye. My two beardies in those 2 habitats were acting really weird and i didn't know why till i accidentally caught that on video trying to video the dragon acting funny. They can see a spectrum of light we can't, it was literally driving them crazy. As soon as i threw the zoomeds out they went back to normal.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jelynnm
Top Bottom