How long before hatchlings feed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

scotty747

Hi

I have managed to successfully hatch two beardies from a small clutch of 7 eggs. As this is my first time, I need a bit of info from people on how long it will take before they begin to eat? One Hatched Saturday morning and the other Sunday. I have transferred them both to a small viv now. They have got livlier as the days have passed but I have yet to see them eating anything. They have access to a small dish of greens/salad, and I have been putting them amonst half dozen crickets a couple of times a day but they are not showing any interest. It has now been roughly 80 hours since the first one hatched. Is it just a question of waiting and they will eventually start or should I be trying something else?
Thanks
Scott

midnight_962002

Sub-Adult Member
They should start eating a couple of days after being out of the egg.

Remember even if they aren't eating to keep them hydrated!!! Hatchlings easily get dehydrated. Check to see if there egg saks are still on there belly's or not. That would be the only reason I would assume they weren't eating.

Ernie

scotty747

Original Poster
Brief update. After dangling a crippled crick in front of one of them for an hour or so, I have managed to get one dragon to eat 2 crickets. Hopefully that will mean I have turned a corner with one dragon and I will spend time with the other tommorow!
Can't see any yolk sack.....but hopefully things will improve more in the morning. Any more tips are welcome.
Thanks Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chad03109
Top Bottom