How do you get cats to like a baby beardie?

Fish&BeardedDragonLover

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Bartholomew
I've had my beardie for a month now and my 2-year-old cat shelly keeps on STALKING him. Like jumping on top of the tank and stalking him. And I've been closing my room door but she keeps on breaking in. Any tips to stop this?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I've had my beardie for a month now and my 2-year-old cat shelly keeps on STALKING him. Like jumping on top of the tank and stalking him. And I've been closing my room door but she keeps on breaking in. Any tips to stop this?
Put the dragon in a different room -- your stressing the dragon out- cats are predators and will kill the baby- get a spray bottle and spray the cat every time it approaches the tank - but I would get the dragon in a safer room - the cat will eventually get to the dragon if it has access and kill it -- or get rid of the cat--

Selkie1993

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Drogon <3 RIP 2019- March 11, 2024 Lily: new girl in the house/ 5 months old
Hi there! I agree with Karrie! You may have to keep your dragon in a separate room that's off access to the cat. My cat is occasionally curious, but nothing like this. But I don't advise in getting rid of the cat. It's kinda mean. It's just their natural behavior.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
It doesn't matter if the beardie is a baby or full grown, a cat will severely injure or kill it. Thats what cats do. Please find a way to make your beardie inaccessible to the cat. Even supervised, it only take a few seconds for a cat to do irreparable damage.

Mollie the dragon

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Mollie
My cat does the samee thing but i have no other rooms to put Molly in, a spray bottle works, but I take her out and let the cat sniff Molly and usually just a couple meeting at least for my cat and beardie cant promise about yours, but my beardie and cat will get along but NEVER unsupervised and i dont just set her on the ground with the cat in, shes pretty much just chilling on me when the cats around, otherwise ill let her roam.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
There's always a room with a door in at least one part of the house that can be kept shut, isn't there ? Just keep the cat out of that one room. A dragon can't have the run of the house with a cat around, and your cat was there first. You don't want to experiment and have your little dragon killed. And no, don't get rid of your cat. They are born with an instinct to hunt and some never, ever lose it by no fault of their own.

SkittlesK

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Kamo
I am in the same situation..
I'm getting a beardie here within a few days if all goes well.

Make sure you have a screen top.
Also, a separate room if it's a huge problem..

Me & my cat have a strong bong & I think these animals have some sort of extrasensory perception sometimes.
I think they get a little jealous or maybe curious..
I'm not 100% sure.

I've heard other stories where the bearded dragon was free roam and they had a cat or something. He said they got along.

Of course, I would never do something to this extent.
I wouldn't judge the guy though..
I dunno if all is well with him, if he's still on the forums.

Fish&BeardedDragonLover

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Bartholomew

Me & my cat have a strong bong & I think these animals have some sort of extrasensory perception sometimes.
I'm not 100% sure.

I've heard other stories where the bearded dragon was free roam and they had a cat or something. He said they got along.

all is going well they are now leaving him alone.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko

I'm not 100% sure.

Even with a screen top, a cat can lay on it + bust through, it happened to me so be careful.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
My girlfriend left the ferret cage open 2 days ago, one of my habitats has the screen cut out for the uvb, it also has curtains that are semi attached. The ferret lives next to the front door, when i came home and saw the cage open, it scared the bejebbers outta me. Luckily she didn't climb in, but she easily could have.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Everyone is correct. While we would all love for our animals to live in harmony, sometimes that
just isn't possible especially when you have a predator prey type of situation going on such as a
cat & a lizard. It will cause undue stress on the little one so it is best for now, to train your cat to
stay out of the room so that disaster doesn't strike.

Tracie

Xjrosie

Hatchling Member
Actually, I have three cats and they and Thor get along pretty well. At worst, they leave them alone. But they love basking in the sunlight on my nightstands when the sun is shining in, right next to one another.

Right now, you're making your beardie off limits to your cat, which is making your cat even more curious. And spraying your cat with a water bottle is mean. You can train a cat without aerating them with water. Just an FYI.

What I would do is introduce your two pets to each other in closely supervised conditions. Hold your beardie in your lap and let your cat get close. Let him sniff your beardie and whatnot. Of course don't let him hurt the little guy, but sit there for as long as your cat is interested. Eventually, your cat will get bored and leave. Do this for a while and eventually you should be able to let your beardie run without concern for his safety.

Also, get a cat tree and set it up right next to the habitat, or get some cat shelves that you can mount on the wall above the habitat. Your cat can then watch the beardie without laying on the top of the habitat. And if you have a table or something that you can set up next to the habitat for your cat to sit on, he can watch you handle your beardie and clean the habitat without being bossy or disruptive.

The point is to make the beardie completely uninteresting to your cat. Calm his curiosity and he won't care what you do with your dragon.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Actually, I have three cats and they and Thor get along pretty well. At worst, they leave them alone. But they love basking in the sunlight on my nightstands when the sun is shining in, right next to one another.

Right now, you're making your beardie off limits to your cat, which is making your cat even more curious. And spraying your cat with a water bottle is mean. You can train a cat without aerating them with water. Just an FYI.

What I would do is introduce your two pets to each other in closely supervised conditions. Hold your beardie in your lap and let your cat get close. Let him sniff your beardie and whatnot. Of course don't let him hurt the little guy, but sit there for as long as your cat is interested. Eventually, your cat will get bored and leave. Do this for a while and eventually you should be able to let your beardie run without concern for his safety.

Also, get a cat tree and set it up right next to the habitat, or get some cat shelves that you can mount on the wall above the habitat. Your cat can then watch the beardie without laying on the top of the habitat. And if you have a table or something that you can set up next to the habitat for your cat to sit on, he can watch you handle your beardie and clean the habitat without being bossy or disruptive.

The point is to make the beardie completely uninteresting to your cat. Calm his curiosity and he won't care what you do with your dragon.
That could be true, or any minute the cat could remeber it's a killing machine and the only thing around is a DEFENSELESS bearded dragon. WHY ON THIS GODS GREEN PLANET WOULD YOU CHANCE IT? It don't matter one lick how tame and good and understanding you think your cat(s) are they will AWAYS be predators. Cats are one of the few animals that kill for fun.

Mollie the dragon

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Mollie
That could be true, or any minute the cat could remeber it's a killing machine and the only thing around is a DEFENSELESS bearded dragon. WHY ON THIS GODS GREEN PLANET WOULD YOU CHANCE IT? It don't matter one lick how tame and good and understanding you think your cat(s) are they will AWAYS be predators. Cats are one of the few animals that kill for fun.
I literally just saw a forum the other day of someones cat and how they bit off there baby beardies hand, i was a person who tried to get them to know each other but no, ive completely stopped that because youre 100% right, cats dont know, theyll kill birds, geckos, rats, roaches, anything they see moving and they dont know that our lizard is any different. My cat will bring me stuff that hes killed (hes and inside and outside cat) because hes accomplished of it lol, but he will not be around my lizard.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lizziefan
Top Bottom