How do all you breeders handle all the babies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sddragons

Juvie Member
What is your program for the first month or two? I realize you are supposed leave them in the incubator for a day or 2, but then what? When moving the hatchlings, where do they go? How many to a container/tank? What to do for lighting and heat when that young? Feeding schedule? Just pinhead crix to start?
Just want to be prepared when mine start breeding

Akeath

Gray-bearded Member
When you move the hatchlings, they go into 20 gallon enclosures. You just carefully pick them up and move them, one at a time, grouping them by size. You can use either aquariums/terrariums or rubbermaids of a similar size. 3-5 per enclosure, I wouldn't go with more than five. They get a heat lamp and UVB bulb just like adults do. Temps around 105-110, they like it a bit warmer than adults do, 80 or so on the cool side, and you can get a fluorescent UVB bulb and have it over more than one enclosure. They need to be fed 3-6 times a day, however you can most conveniently fit in the feeding times, and have a dish of finely chopped Collard Greens available at all times, if they are available from the start they should start sampling them by two weeks or so, if they aren't available from the start it will take a good deal longer. True pinhead crickets are too small for hatchlings, what you want is 1/4 inch crickets. These will be labeled truly at online places, but at pet stores may sometimes erroneously be labeled pin head.

citrusdragon

Sub-Adult Member
I keep them in several Sterilite containers in groups of 10 in my 4x2 melamine cages. Greens are always provided, they're misted 3 or 4 times a day, and they get 1/4 inch crickets as 3 times a day. I move them from container to container based on size. As they grow I reduce the numbers in the bins, then I tell my wife we need to spend %#@&* dollars on more cages and she flips out, the we decide not to feed the kids the next month and I get more cages :twisted: I am considering building a rack/cabinet but its not in the budget until next year.

It is better to plan for more than to panic once they come.

Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AcidicReality
Top Bottom