How concerned should I be?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
No problem. 🙂 I swear we did tons of research but what would be a more serious problem? MBD? Or another virus I can't remember the name of? 🤔
They are both not good ----- looking at the placement of the UVB please get a piece of decor directly under it 12-15 inches then watch the behavior

OztheDragon

Original Poster
They are both not good ----- looking at the placement of the UVB please get a piece of decor directly under it 12-15 inches then watch the behavior
We are so sad. I walked in to check on Oz earlier this evening and he was dead. 😭 He had fallen off his basking spot. It was heartbreaking to see. I guess he was much sicker than I knew. I sincerely hope that I didn't do something wrong. My mind is racing.

We are so sad. I walked in to check on Oz earlier this evening and he was dead. 😭 He had fallen off his basking spot. It was heartbreaking to see. I guess he was much sicker than I knew. I sincerely hope that I didn't do something wrong. My mind is racing.
Wow sorry to hear that, I was just reading through the thread and was not expecting your last post. I was hoping moving the lights would perk him right up, sorry for your loss.

OztheDragon

Original Poster
I am so confused. Oz's fecal sample came back negative for parasites. Could he have been sick with ADV and had no parasite issues? I thought the two sort of went hand in hand? What would have made him stop eating? I was thinking he must have had ADV last night to have just stopped eating and died suddenly. Any thoughts would be appreciated because now I'm scared I did something wrong? Could lack of UVB over the last two weeks killed him? It was on top of the enclosure until just a few days ago. Because it is a T5 I thought that would be ok. I'm sorry for going on and on I'm just sad and trying to figure out what happened. If we try again I don't want to have the same experience again.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
That is terrible -- I am so sorry for you and Oz --- it is heartbreaking to find them when you were trying so hard to figure out the cause and correcting it ---- I am thinking something else was going on here something that maybe it was genetic - you wouldnt know and to find out you would need to have a necropsy done- he was so little and thats what makes it worse I think --- :cry: again I dont think it was you I think there were other things going on here -- since we are not exactly sure of what happened I would recommend disinfecting your tank w/ some F10 or Rescue or some Zoo Meds WipeOut-- disinfect everything in the tank --- in time you may want to try again and w/ all the help you were given you know how to get your basking temps and your UVB correct --- that is the lifeline of the dragon -- so even w/ you getting this corrected little Oz had other issues at hand normally a healthy dragon would of been fine and bounced back as quickly as you sought help -- its when people let them go to long w/ out getting help that is a issue and sometimes they cant bounce back --- again I am sorry to hear about him

OztheDragon

Original Poster
That is terrible -- I am so sorry for you and Oz --- it is heartbreaking to find them when you were trying so hard to figure out the cause and correcting it ---- I am thinking something else was going on here something that maybe it was genetic - you wouldnt know and to find out you would need to have a necropsy done- he was so little and thats what makes it worse I think --- :cry: again I dont think it was you I think there were other things going on here -- since we are not exactly sure of what happened I would recommend disinfecting your tank w/ some F10 or Rescue or some Zoo Meds WipeOut-- disinfect everything in the tank --- in time you may want to try again and w/ all the help you were given you know how to get your basking temps and your UVB correct --- that is the lifeline of the dragon -- so even w/ you getting this corrected little Oz had other issues at hand normally a healthy dragon would of been fine and bounced back as quickly as you sought help -- its when people let them go to long w/ out getting help that is a issue and sometimes they cant bounce back --- again I am sorry to hear about him
Thank you for the kind words. I almost cried again reading them. I'm sure we will try again I'm just super hesitant now to buy from a pet store.

I do have a question about all the feeder insects I have. I know the crickets won't live super long but I got a bunch of dubia roaches right before he stopped eating. A couple times I put some in with Oz and then put them back with the rest of the colony when he didn't eat them. That makes them all contaminated, right? How do I dispose of them? I have no reason to keep them now? Even if we did get another dragon quick enough I shouldn't use them, right?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Thank you for the kind words. I almost cried again reading them. I'm sure we will try again I'm just super hesitant now to buy from a pet store.

I do have a question about all the feeder insects I have. I know the crickets won't live super long but I got a bunch of dubia roaches right before he stopped eating. A couple times I put some in with Oz and then put them back with the rest of the colony when he didn't eat them. That makes them all contaminated, right? How do I dispose of them? I have no reason to keep them now? Even if we did get another dragon quick enough I shouldn't use them, right?
Your dubias are fine ---- you can sell them in your area -- advertise on FB or Craigslist - some one will buy them - or keep them it is up to you-- where were you getting them from? On line? You can order a dragon from a reputable breeder -- others on here can point you in the right direction -- you can post asking that question -- or you can try and adopt a dragon from your local humane society they sometimes get them in there -- people want healthy dragons but the ones that are healthy end up sick because of improper care (husbandry) so it is a gamble w/ that as well -- pet stores just get them in bulk and the breeding or breeders are out for the money not for the health of the dragon - to them they are a dime a dozen so to speak - it is sad --

OztheDragon

Original Poster
Your dubias are fine ---- you can sell them in your area -- advertise on FB or Craigslist - some one will buy them - or keep them it is up to you-- where were you getting them from? On line? You can order a dragon from a reputable breeder -- others on here can point you in the right direction -- you can post asking that question -- or you can try and adopt a dragon from your local humane society they sometimes get them in there -- people want healthy dragons but the ones that are healthy end up sick because of improper care (husbandry) so it is a gamble w/ that as well -- pet stores just get them in bulk and the breeding or breeders are out for the money not for the health of the dragon - to them they are a dime a dozen so to speak - it is sad --
I did order them online through chewy. But they are for sure safe to feed to a new dragon if we got one or to sell to someone else? Even if he had ADV? I obviously can't be sure of that but its what I was thinking.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I did order them online through chewy. But they are for sure safe to feed to a new dragon if we got one or to sell to someone else? Even if he had ADV? I obviously can't be sure of that but its what I was thinking.
Yes they should be fine- I think other signs would of been there for adv

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom