How common is it for bearded dragons to have eggs in the winter?

blue11

Sub-Adult Member
Lexi didn’t lay eggs in the couple of years I had her - so that’s extra stress y’all are going thru! Im going to message you now with the link to that Lexi thread - I just went back through it and started crying - happy tears! It’s a journey we take that cannot he describes in words When you see the first photos of her you’ll maybe see why / how - I don’t know if Lexi even had the capacity to lay? … but yeah - we can totally chat about this! You’ll see her very simple tank/set up … all that stuff … this was back in the summer of 2012. Maybe it can help you with Liz - or at least maybe things you can relate to 🙂

Btrfly1179

I think with most dragons it's not so bad, but because Liz has MBD she struggles a lot when she has eggs. Nope, she has never been housed with a dragon apart from when she was a baby in a pet store. I'm not sure why she lays so much. Just to torture me I guess. :rolleyes:

Thank you! Though I hope you never have to deal with eggs!
You are not alone! My beardie does not have MBD and every time she lays it is a major ordeal!! She is VERY particular on where and how she will lay her eggs. If I don't get it just right she will hold on to them ... Probably forever!! Idk for sure, I usually figure out what she wants before it gets too late. Took me a few times to realize she wants ONLY sand. No dirt allowed!!! She HAS TO have something to crawl/dig under. She won't lay in same sand more than twice. It's ridiculous. My husband has seriously tried talking me into giving her away because of the hoops I have to jump through! She's my girl tho and I would not give her up for anything!! 😍
I originally came on here to see if anyone knew about them laying eggs in winter. This is first year she ever laid a clutch this early. So glad to see she was not the only one! Thank you! Must be something with the weather!

lizdragon

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
You are not alone! My beardie does not have MBD and every time she lays it is a major ordeal!! She is VERY particular on where and how she will lay her eggs. If I don't get it just right she will hold on to them ... Probably forever!! Idk for sure, I usually figure out what she wants before it gets too late. Took me a few times to realize she wants ONLY sand. No dirt allowed!!! She HAS TO have something to crawl/dig under. She won't lay in same sand more than twice. It's ridiculous. My husband has seriously tried talking me into giving her away because of the hoops I have to jump through! She's my girl tho and I would not give her up for anything!! 😍
I originally came on here to see if anyone knew about them laying eggs in winter. This is first year she ever laid a clutch this early. So glad to see she was not the only one! Thank you! Must be something with the weather!
So sorry for the late response, but I'm so glad someone else understands how hard this is! It's so interesting that your girl is also laying for the first time in the winter. Like your situation, it's always a huge ordeal for us as well. She'll flip herself sometimes, get sand in her eye, take forever to lay, the list of problems just goes on and on.. Luckily she laid the clutch I was talking about when I started this discussion, but now she is starting to attempt to lay another. Fingers crossed they're done for the winter after this!

Btrfly1179

So sorry for the late response, but I'm so glad someone else understands how hard this is! It's so interesting that your girl is also laying for the first time in the winter. Like your situation, it's always a huge ordeal for us as well. She'll flip herself sometimes, get sand in her eye, take forever to lay, the list of problems just goes on and on.. Luckily she laid the clutch I was talking about when I started this discussion, but now she is starting to attempt to lay another. Fingers crossed they're done for the winter after this!
Roxy is laying another clutch right now as I type! At least I hope! She has been driving me CRAZY for past week and a half! She would NOT stay in her lay box or terrarium. Only wanted to walk in circles around the living room digging at the carpet. Then find a dark spot and go to sleep at 4pm! She is so weird! After 2 times it seems she wants fresh sand and I was not able to get new sand this week. No Home Depot or Lowe's near me! Even tho I always clean it and get the eggs out right after she is done! Does Liz brumate? I was wondering if Roxy laid early this year because she came out of brumation a little early. She has never laid a clutch so early. Knowing other beardies did as well is somewhat comforting! I just hope she is done after this clutch. She gets so hard to handle when it's time to lay.

lizdragon

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Roxy is laying another clutch right now as I type! At least I hope! She has been driving me CRAZY for past week and a half! She would NOT stay in her lay box or terrarium. Only wanted to walk in circles around the living room digging at the carpet. Then find a dark spot and go to sleep at 4pm! She is so weird! After 2 times it seems she wants fresh sand and I was not able to get new sand this week. No Home Depot or Lowe's near me! Even tho I always clean it and get the eggs out right after she is done! Does Liz brumate? I was wondering if Roxy laid early this year because she came out of brumation a little early. She has never laid a clutch so early. Knowing other beardies did as well is somewhat comforting! I just hope she is done after this clutch. She gets so hard to handle when it's time to lay.
Oh yay!! Just curious, where do you dispose of your old sand? We live in NYC and I have no idea where to put her old sand and I really need to clean it out lately lol. I used to dump it on the beach but since it's not summer I'm not going to the beach house anytime soon..

No, she does not really brumate to my knowledge. I've given her spots to hide in but she doesn't really do it and her appetite doesn't change. That's interesting they're both laying during the off season. I hope Roxy is done now that she's laid this clutch! Liz is in her lay box right now. She's been extra active the past few days so I'm hoping it's time.

Btrfly1179

Oh yay!! Just curious, where do you dispose of your old sand? We live in NYC and I have no idea where to put her old sand and I really need to clean it out lately lol. I used to dump it on the beach but since it's not summer I'm not going to the beach house anytime soon..

No, she does not really brumate to my knowledge. I've given her spots to hide in but she doesn't really do it and her appetite doesn't change. That's interesting they're both laying during the off season. I hope Roxy is done now that she's laid this clutch! Liz is in her lay box right now. She's been extra active the past few days so I'm hoping it's time.
I'm in Ohio and not near a beach, but that would be convenient! One time I gave it to my cousin because apparently there is some way to incorporate it in gardens that helps with moisture or something, I am not sure! I don't have a green thumb lol! Other times I usually just put it outside near the woods. Figure if it helps in gardens it might help the forest! We used it to soak up oil from working on the cars too.
Roxy brumates every year. Usually in August which I find strange but her internal clock must be set to Australia seasons! She usually goes through the 1st week of December but this year she was up before Thanksgiving. I thought maybe that is why she laid a clutch early. I was afraid I woke her up too soon, on accident. Seeing as how other dragons laid early too, I'm guessing it was just nature taking it's natural course! She just laid 26 eggs last night! Poor girl, idk where she holds these things! She is calm today now. I wish she would be done, but she probably will do another clutch or 2. I swear she would be a breeders dream come true!

lizdragon

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Hi! I live in California! I have bearded dragons and experience with MBD, if you need any help still I'm available!

Hi Emmie,

Thank you for offering to help. My beardie Liz has still been laying eggs since I made this post (last Christmas). She'll take a break for a few weeks, then start another clutch. It's so hard because she often flips when she's trying to lay and we have to flip her back. We're stressing out because we have our wedding next weekend and are going away for a week after. My family is pet sitting her and normally she's no trouble, but I am praying she's able to lay before then.

How did you help your beardies with MBD when they were gravid? Thanks again.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom