How can i tell if my beardie is impacted?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Battery

Well ive been giving him a bath for 15 mins everynight, Hes still eating like a pig, seems like he has a bottomless pit for a belly lol, hes up and running around, going to bed at the right times very active all day loves to come out, and he LOVES to bask, But he won't poop..yet he doesn't look stuffed or anything.. Tonight i am going to try feeding him some apples and then giving him a half hour bath, if that doesn't work ill try the pumpkins in a can, if that doesn't work i think we may have to take a visit to the vet, because i find it strange that he eats soooooooooooooooooo much and doesn't poop nor look bloated. Do you think he could be impacted? he was in sand when i inherited him from my friend, he was pooping up until the day i got him which was about 2 weeks ago and hasn't pooped since. i switched the sand out for newspaper now. and am in the process of building him a 4x2x2 enclosure.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi, first of all, how old is your beardie? How much and what is he eating in a day? As you know, it's not good that he hasn't had a poo in about 2 wks, it's important that he get cleaned out. That's good that you're bathing him daily, you could even do it 2 times a day. Make sure the water is deep enough to cover his vent area. After the 15 to 20 min bath, hold him in the palm of your hand and massage his right side from armpit to vent area very gently. If you feel any hardened areas, massage gently in a circular motion trying to move it closer to his vent so he can expel it. It's very possible that he has an impaction from the sand and it's a good thing that he is no longer on that.
You could feed him pieces of apple or very warm babyfood applesauce, putting it on his nose for him to lick off and he should really like the taste of it. You can also use the pumpkin as you mentioned, make sure it is 100% with no other added ingredients. Since the consistency is very thick, would be a good idea to add some water so that you can draw it up into a large medicine dropper and put it on his nose for him to lick off. You should also warm up the pumpkin mixture.
Then, after feeding the applesauce or pumpkin, use a rice sock by putting rice in a sock, tying it in a knot, heat it in microwave for about 15 to 20 seconds, test the temp by the inside of your wrist. It should feel quite warm but not hot. Wrap the rice sock inside of a washcloth or dish towel and then wrap the sock and your beardie up together in a big fluffy towel. The sock can be reheated as often as necessary. You should have results by tomorrow if not sooner. Let us know how it goes.
Another thing that affects the pooping schedule is tank temps. What are the cool & warm side temps and what type of thermometer are you using to check them?

Battery

Original Poster
im not sure how old he is actually. hes about 18 inches long fully spiked im guessing over a year, i got him from a friend who rescued him from a pet store who was not taking care of him properly but then my friend had to move away and could not take him so i stepped up and now i love the little guy. He burned down his old owners house by knocking something over so they did not want him anymore, he eats about 5-10 superworms a day and 5-10 crickets dusted twice a week and a big thing of carrots, lettuce, celery leaf and some apple every so often. And thank you for the advice, i will give him a bath here and then massage him if he doesn't go, and the basking spot is 100 degrees and that side of the tank is around 90-95 ish and the cool side is about 82 degrees but the cool side varies during the day from 80-85. The baths i give him are warm to the touch should they be warmer? and thats about it, i just find it weird as my friend had him for 2 months no problem with pooping and i have the exact set up he had him in except i took away the sand. Thanks for the help ill let you know how hes doing tomorrow.

It sounds like your dragon could very well be impacted, just follow everything that was already siad and I would also raise your basking surface up 5 or 10 degrees and you shouldn't be using superworms as a staple feeder, sometimes there hard exoskeleton can be hard for a dragon to digest and should be used as more of a once in a while treat. Also as an adult your dragon should be eating roughly 80% greens and 20% live prey and your staple feeders should consist of one ore more of the following and only fed every other day, crickets, roaches, phoinex worms, horn worms or silk worms and also I noticed that your veggies aren't great either so heres a link of what and how often you can feed your dragon along with there nutritional values.http://www.beautifuldragons.503xtreme.com/Nutrition.html

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It's possible that the other owner wasn't feeding supers and that he wasn't getting the diet that he needed. It does take their bodies a little time to get used to the supers and for them to digest them properly. Feeding those and crickets are both good staple feeders for an adult but you might want to consider cutting back on the amt of supers you feed daily though. Feeding 5 a day is fine, but 10 a day is really a little too much, especially since he is getting crickets too. The rule of thumb for an adults is roughly 35 large feeders like supers or 50 small feeders like crickets a wk otherwise liver problems could develop from so much protein.
Using other greens/veggies would also be a good idea. The link to the beautiful dragons site that was posted will be very helpful for you. They should be given a large dish of fresh greens daily misted with water to help with hydration.
Regarding the bath temps, the water should actually be warmer than "warm to the touch." You can test the water temp by the inside of your wrist, should feel warm but not cool or hot. Make sure you put a washcloth or small towel down in the bottom of sink or container to keep him from sliding around & to help him feel more secure.
What type of thermometer are you using to check the temps, a stick on like a round gauge or strip, a digital thermometer with a probe end or a temperature gun? Also are you using a bright white basking bulb? What brand & type of UVB is in his tank, a coil, compact, strip fluorescent or mercury vapor bulb?
Any luck in the poop department yet?

diamc do you really feed your dragons supers as a staple. I have had a few problems with my dragons becoming addicted to them and even shunning off any greens, from my experience I have had better results from the prey that I listed earlier as far as digestion and staying on the proper diet. I know that every will show different results, but for the most part what I stated eariler was more commen than using supers as a staple.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
SocalBeardedDragons, I certainly didn't mean to discredit what you wrote at all, just sharing my experience. All 4 of my adults enjoy their supers as well as crickets, roaches once in a while (trying to establish my colony) and occasionally horns & silkies as those get expensive when feeding so many. They all eat their greens very well too which I change around very often. Supers are very reasonably priced, filling and very easy to take care of and I have even had some breed. I have heard of quite a few other members here using supers as one of their staple feeders but is a good idea to offer more than one feeder to keep them interested. I did want to mention though, that anyone feeding supers should make sure their beardie is at least 15 to 16 inches long to help with proper digestion and to make sure the beardie is kept well hydrated. The hardest part of the super to digest is the head. It's also a good idea to start offering just a few supers the first day to make sure your beardie is able to digest them so observing the poop is helpful and if you see some undigested worm, double check your temps to make sure everything is optimal.

I wanted to mention that I'm ecstatic that none of my beardies are brumating which I think is unusual when having 4 adults, one of the males goes to sleep a little earlier but is very active & eating very well the early part of the day. Last yr, 3 of them semi-brumated but so far I'm not seeing that this yr. :p If they all fully brumated, I would be heartbroken.

Well diamc as you said it can be hard to establish or affrord other feeders but if that is not possible I would still recomend crickets as they are cheap and easy to maintain and no one that I know or myself has had any digestion problems with , as long as all other husbandry is right. So any way I didnt mean to come off as being defensive but I have had problems with using supers as a staple and have heard from quite a few other people having the same problem as I have and wouldn't recomend it but as I said earlier every dragon is different and some people might not run into the same problem as others so I was just trying to be helpful with the original posters impaction problems and address every issue that I seen fit but anyway I am glad to hear that all of your dragons are awake to play with you LOL.

Battery

Original Poster
Thanks for all the feedback guys, HE POOPED TODAY WOO haha i upped the heat in his basking spot, gave him a 40 minute bath, fed him apples yesterday, and totally cleaned his tank today, and i came home later for a nice little suprise sittin in his tank :lol: Thanks again guys, I started on my viv today too 4x2x2. Glad to have found this board on google.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

My 2 year old male dragon has been shedding for 2-3 weeks. I’m worried about it being a stuck shed. I’ve seen on other websites they should not soak and then I’ve seen that they should be soaked. So my question is when should I soak him?
Hello , im still figureing out this platform,
So violet laid eggs, weeks ago, she was doing very well , in the last 3 to 4 days her poop was more than runny . Haven't changed much in her diet , an appetite is very good. Should I be considering a parasites remedy as she does get bloated as soon as she starts to eat.
My baby beardie likes to sit in their water bowl. I'm curious on whether it would hurt them or not.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wickedkurse84$
Top Bottom