Hornworms

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a few hornworms and they are running low on chow. I have silkworm chow. Can they survive or live on that? Or do I feed them dandelion greens?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I'm not sure what else they can eat. You can cool them down a bit and they will go into stasis of sorts. I do one day in the wine fridge then one day out of it which seems to work. I just got a new order in yesterday and ordered a spare cup of chow so I can transfer the last of them to the new cup once the chow cups run dry. You can probably have some spare chow shipped in from Great Lakes Hornworm within a couple of days if need be. If they are full size though, you can try cooling them as I mentioned.

reptilemaster

Sub-Adult Member
Hi, I had a similar problem once, and I just put a big leaf of collard green in their container.
Of course I only had a few of them and they ate the leaf in one night!
But it seemed to do good with them.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
reptilemaster":vhgs73tv said:
Hi, I had a similar problem once, and I just put a big leaf of collard green in their container.
Of course I only had a few of them and they ate the leaf in one night!
But it seemed to do good with them.

Interesting. I haven't tried that yet. Good to know!

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The sellers usually recommend giving them some shredded carrot if you run out of chow. But this is on a temporary basis. They won't be able to live off it. I've tried collards too and it worked, but plan to feed them off in a day or two.

-Brandon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mangobango4
Top Bottom