Hinde legs drag (please read description)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys. I noticed my beardies back legs will kinda give out when she's walking. She will be running and then all of a sudden her back legs will just drag and she will immediately stop. Thinking back I believe it is mainly her left hinde leg that drags. This has never happened before and it's happened about 4 times today. I already emailed my vet, but they are closed today and tomorrow. It doesn't seem to SUPER urgent, as Smaug appears to be alert. So I don't feel like using the emergency page line for my vet is necessary (unless you guys think otherwise) I guess, until I can get a response from the vet, is there anything I can do in the meantime to make her comfortable, or should I just keep an eye on it? Do you guys have any thought on what this could be? I'm just really anxious.

Cage set up:
Cage: 48x24x24
Uvb tube: t5 10.0
Basking: 108F
"Cool side": 84F

Smaug is a little over 1 year old. Last time I took her to the vet was in November and they did a full check up, and she was deemed healthy. Both her back legs (mainly just her feet, like half of her "calf and down to her toes) are ready to shed, one of them started shedding today. (Don't know if thay last bit is important but I wanted to add it)

If you need more information please let me know.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hey guys. I noticed my beardies back legs will kinda give out when she's walking. She will be running and then all of a sudden her back legs will just drag and she will immediately stop. Thinking back I believe it is mainly her left hinde leg that drags. This has never happened before and it's happened about 4 times today. I already emailed my vet, but they are closed today and tomorrow. It doesn't seem to SUPER urgent, as Smaug appears to be alert. So I don't feel like using the emergency page line for my vet is necessary (unless you guys think otherwise) I guess, until I can get a response from the vet, is there anything I can do in the meantime to make her comfortable, or should I just keep an eye on it? Do you guys have any thought on what this could be? I'm just really anxious.

Cage set up:
Cage: 48x24x24
Uvb tube: t5 10.0
Basking: 108F
"Cool side": 84F

Smaug is a little over 1 year old. Last time I took her to the vet was in November and they did a full check up, and she was deemed healthy. Both her back legs (mainly just her feet, like half of her "calf and down to her toes) are ready to shed, one of them started shedding today. (Don't know if thay last bit is important but I wanted to add it)

If you need more information please let me know.
What are you feeding for insects and how big? The T 5 is where in the tank ? top of screen or inside --- what kind of screen fine mesh like a screen door or a wide hole type -- this is important

Smaugiethedragon

Original Poster
Hi thank you for the quick response. I feed her crickets, they're a little less than a inch and I feed her about 10-12 a day. 2 days multivitamin, 5 days calcium. I have the uvb left side of the tank on top of screen, and it reaches a little over half of the tank. The screen on top is not fine mesh, but the holes aren't real big like chicken wire, I'll try to attach a picture if I can figure it out.

Attachments

• 16410681775863513716708320193681.jpg
    16410681775863513716708320193681.jpg
    228.2 KB · Views: 81

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hi thank you for the quick response. I feed her crickets, they're a little less than a inch and I feed her about 10-12 a day. 2 days multivitamin, 5 days calcium. I have the uvb left side of the tank on top of screen, and it reaches a little over half of the tank. The screen on top is not fine mesh, but the holes aren't real big like chicken wire, I'll try to attach a picture if I can figure it out.
Ok the screen is a wider hole type --- do you have it set up directly over the basking decor piece 8-10 inches ? I am thinking the insect may be too big please post a pic of her head and the cricket shes eating -- has she pooped lately if so then its not impaction

Smaugiethedragon

Original Poster
It's about 10.2 inches, is that okay thay it's a little over 10, I just measured it. The pic of head and size crickets is attached. As for pooping, last she pooped was 2 days ago. I gave her a warm path for 15 minutes today and no poop. She has been having trouble pooping recently though, she wont poop for 5 days and then when she does its like 4 worth of poop (seperate sections too if that makes sense). I looked it up online and her temps are fine in her cage (I have a temp gun and check them through out the day), I was thinking it could be dehydration, so I've been offering water and giving her more baths to see if that would help. I was going to see if her pooping improves over the next week or so, and if it didn't want going to call the vet about, but now there's the hinge leg issue. She's been spotty on her greens (always has been) some days she eats a few pieces and it her days she eats the whole pile. I'm sorry if I'm over explaining, just trying to give info that may be useful.

Attachments

• 16410692849217303626020555414064.jpg
    16410692849217303626020555414064.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 82

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
It's about 10.2 inches, is that okay thay it's a little over 10, I just measured it. The pic of head and size crickets is attached. As for pooping, last she pooped was 2 days ago. I gave her a warm path for 15 minutes today and no poop. She has been having trouble pooping recently though, she wont poop for 5 days and then when she does its like 4 worth of poop (seperate sections too if that makes sense). I looked it up online and her temps are fine in her cage (I have a temp gun and check them through out the day), I was thinking it could be dehydration, so I've been offering water and giving her more baths to see if that would help. I was going to see if her pooping improves over the next week or so, and if it didn't want going to call the vet about, but now there's the hinge leg issue. She's been spotty on her greens (always has been) some days she eats a few pieces and it her days she eats the whole pile. I'm sorry if I'm over explaining, just trying to give info that may be useful.
Ok those crickets are actually too small where are you getting them from? I would switch her over to dubia roaches www.dubiaroaches.com I know these people closed for the holidays or you can try this website www.reptilianarts.com -- I would get a 10 gallon aquarium set up and order like 200 or so feed dubia food and dubia dew -- also feed what veggies your feeding the dragon --- mine will not eat greens but they like squash sweet potato and fruit --- look at the chart on the website and get roaches NO bigger than the space between her eyes length wise -- so given the crickets are actually too small and she has pooped its not impaction --- so now I am back to the UVB -- please get it inside the tank 12-15 inches directly above her basking decor piece ---- here is some stuff to hang it w/ it works really good its like Velcro strap cut into strips and wrap around your fixture --- I am hoping that corrects that hind leg issue -- GE 15 ft. Cable Ties, Hook and Loop Spool, Black-10375 - The Home Depot

Smaugiethedragon

Original Poster
Ok those crickets are actually too small where are you getting them from? I would switch her over to dubia roaches www.dubiaroaches.com I know these people closed for the holidays or you can try this website www.reptilianarts.com -- I would get a 10 gallon aquarium set up and order like 200 or so feed dubia food and dubia dew -- also feed what veggies your feeding the dragon --- mine will not eat greens but they like squash sweet potato and fruit --- look at the chart on the website and get roaches NO bigger than the space between her eyes length wise -- so given the crickets are actually too small and she has pooped its not impaction --- so now I am back to the UVB -- please get it inside the tank 12-15 inches directly above her basking decor piece ---- here is some stuff to hang it w/ it works really good its like Velcro strap cut into strips and wrap around your fixture --- I am hoping that corrects that hind leg issue -- GE 15 ft. Cable Ties, Hook and Loop Spool, Black-10375 - The Home Depot
I get them from a local pet shop, not petsmart or petco, it's a reptile shop. I can pick up some dubias for her next time I go, but for some reason she refuses them, i haven't tried in a few months so I'll try them again!! For the velcro, I just picked some up, I'm a little confused how I attach it to the screen, is it sticky enough to stick to it? I'm scared it will fall but I see it hold up to 10 pounds. Thank you for all your help.

As for her pooping situation I listed in my other reply. Do you have any reasons as to why she's holding it in that long? I just thought I'd ask since you are helping me. Thank you again!!!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I get them from a local pet shop, not petsmart or petco, it's a reptile shop. I can pick up some dubias for her next time I go, but for some reason she refuses them, i haven't tried in a few months so I'll try them again!! For the velcro, I just picked some up, I'm a little confused how I attach it to the screen, is it sticky enough to stick to it? I'm scared it will fall but I see it hold up to 10 pounds. Thank you for all your help.

As for her pooping situation I listed in my other reply. Do you have any reasons as to why she's holding it in that long? I just thought I'd ask since you are helping me. Thank you again!!!
I would snip the screen to get the Velcro strap thru -- or take the screen off and you can put it vertical the UVB across her tank - butt the screen up to the UVB fixture -- dragons go for a long time w/ out pooping -- mine are 2 and 3 years old and they poop like every 3 weeks or so -- and when they go its a blow out --

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Okay thank you so much for your help! I will get the uvb fixed in today!
Ok let me know how she does after moving it -- if it doesnt correct the dragging of the legs you may need to take her in to the vet but lets see what happens w/ the UVB getting moved into the tank -- also I would invest in a digital probe thermometer they are more accurate than the IR gun they cant read off of some materials -- does Flash bask for long period of times at the 108 temp? place the probe where Flash sits for basking wait 10 min then get the temp --

Smaugiethedragon

Original Poster
I definitely will! I actually have a digital probe thermometer, I can set it up right now and let you know what it reads at. She basks for 30-40 minutes at a time and then moves for a bit and then goes back basking for a bit.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I definitely will! I actually have a digital probe thermometer, I can set it up right now and let you know what it reads at. She basks for 30-40 minutes at a time and then moves for a bit and then goes back basking for a bit.
ok it may be too hot -- you might want to get it down to 95-100-- most adults dont like real hot temps about the age of 6 months or so they start wanting a cooler basking temp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whokiry weth
Top Bottom