Hind Legs partial paralysis

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey my beardie hasnt been able to use her hind legs for quite a while now she drags them she has movement in them but wont use them is there a way we can get her to move them again and get feeling in them :D we took her to a vet before and said it would be fine they said its trauma from a fall is there a way to get feeling in them again?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

What type of fall did your dragon sustain, how long ago did this happen?
Do you have pictures of her along with your tank setup you could post for us also?

Tracie

darkcorewolfie

Original Poster
KarrieRee":g3gozxf9 said:
How long ago from the fall and how far? Was she black bearding? Or is she black bearding now -- what kind of UVB are your using coil or tube ? If its a coil you need to get rid of it -- they are NO good
it was months ago now and shes fine now ait was quite a bad fall but shes fine now she just dont use her hind legs anymore i was wondering if there was anyway to get movement back in themArcadia ProT5 Kit thats the uvb

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Where do you have the UVB placed ? top of screen or inside the tank ? And was she using the hind legs prior to fall or after the fall? The screen on your tank is a fine mesh screen or a wide hole screen? The distance and placement for the UVB is crucial thats why I am asking

darkcorewolfie

Original Poster
KarrieRee":3lhtx38h said:
Where do you have the UVB placed ? top of screen or inside the tank ? And was she using the hind legs prior to fall or after the fall? The screen on your tank is a fine mesh screen or a wide hole screen? The distance and placement for the UVB is crucial thats why I am asking
she was using them pior to the fall and the uvb is on the top of the tank in the middle

darkcorewolfie

Original Poster
KarrieRee":sv1qtp5j said:
she was using them pior to the fall and when she fell she started dragging them and the uvb is inside the tank and its on the top middle

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Ok so that sounds like a fall issue not mbd- have you taken the dragon into the vet? Make sure the UVB is approx 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor piece

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That does sound like she may have hurt her spine. While she most likely didn't break her
back but might have subluxed a vertebrae. They don't have discs in between their vertebraes
like we do so if they hurt their back, it could cause subluxation. That would in turn pinch a nerve
or cause pressure on the spinal area making it painful or difficult to walk.
You are using an Arcadia D3 12% T5 tube, correct? If if it on top of the screen, be sure it is at a
10 inch distance, maybe 8 so it will penetrate the screen. If you can get it mounted underneath of
the screen at a 10-12 inch distance that would be even better.
How much calcium are you giving her?
You can try doing some water therapy for her daily to help strengthen her legs. Does her spine
have an curve or indentation in it that you can tell? Pictures would be great.

Tracie

darkcorewolfie

Original Poster
KarrieRee":1x8s151i said:
Ok so that sounds like a fall issue not mbd- have you taken the dragon into the vet? Make sure the UVB is approx 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor piece
yeah we took her to the vets a couple months back they said its trauma to the leg i was just asking if there was anyways to get her to use them again :)

darkcorewolfie

Original Poster
Drache613":1uyln0qn said:
Hello,

That does sound like she may have hurt her spine. While she most likely didn't break her
back but might have subluxed a vertebrae. They don't have discs in between their vertebraes
like we do so if they hurt their back, it could cause subluxation. That would in turn pinch a nerve
or cause pressure on the spinal area making it painful or difficult to walk.
You are using an Arcadia D3 12% T5 tube, correct? If if it on top of the screen, be sure it is at a
10 inch distance, maybe 8 so it will penetrate the screen. If you can get it mounted underneath of
the screen at a 10-12 inch distance that would be even better.
How much calcium are you giving her?
You can try doing some water therapy for her daily to help strengthen her legs. Does her spine
have an curve or indentation in it that you can tell? Pictures would be great.

Tracie
no curves in her spine etc i give her calcium every other day and its just her legs that have trauma and water therapy will get her legs to strengthen correct?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Sorry she has had that type of injury. She might have just subluxed a vertebra & in time, it
may heal up.
Water therapy can sometimes help to strengthen up muscles from an injury & just help with
overall mobility. To determine how much feeling she has in her legs, gently pinch the bottom
of each foot to see if she pulls her foot away in response to being pinched. Not hard, just a
little firm so you can try to elicit a reaction.

Tracie

darkcorewolfie

Original Poster
Drache613":17ps0t22 said:
Hello,

Sorry she has had that type of injury. She might have just subluxed a vertebra & in time, it
may heal up.
Water therapy can sometimes help to strengthen up muscles from an injury & just help with
overall mobility. To determine how much feeling she has in her legs, gently pinch the bottom
of each foot to see if she pulls her foot away in response to being pinched. Not hard, just a
little firm so you can try to elicit a reaction.

Tracie
she responds to it and moves her legs but she dont walk with them anymore is there any hope of hger walking back on them or not?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Exactly how long has this been going on for now?
There is always hope, definitely. I don't know the extent of the injury or even what exactly
has caused it.
Go ahead & try the water therapy to see if that can help to strengthen the back legs some.
You could consider trying some serrapeptase to help with pain, swelling & inflammation or
even CBD oil, too.
Have you posted any pictures of her yet?

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom