High Altitude Sleeping and young beard puff?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmh3988

Hatchling Member
I recently switched my baby's viv out. He used to sleep on a lower log, clutching the log all night. Now he's sleeping on the highest point of the new, highest log (still clutching the log). Is he going to fall off during the night? Looks kind of uncomfortable lol. I wake up and he's still in the same spot. I was thinking of getting him a washable stuffed animal so he maybe wouldn't be so high up.

One other thing - he did his first puff out the beard thing today. I've had him for 4 weeks on Sunday and I thought he was a bit young for that still (he's only about 8" nose to tail tip and 16 grams). He was doing it at one of the cats who was looking in at him. Is he mad? Could it stress him out at this young? (Pics below)

Scary1.jpg

Beard.jpg

Mama2mc

There is a thread floating around of beardies sleeping in all sorts of strange places. Its so funny!

I doubt your baby will fall off, especially since he's sucessfully done it already. Do you use a heat lamp at night? Maybe he's just chilly and wants to be closer to the lamp. I've only had my baby five days so I'm no expert or anything but my beardie changes where he sleeps. Sometimes he sleeps way up high and then other times he'll sleep under his log.

gulfbrzdawn

BD.org Addict
As the above poster mentioned... if he is accustomed to sleeping while hanging onto a log then he will probably be fine. However, if you feel uncomfortable about him sleeping this way then go ahead and get him something he doesn't have to grip to.
Beardie's actually need the cooler temps at night in order for their bodies to shut down for proper sleep. With that being said, you don't want to put any heat in the tank at night unless your temps drop below 65 degrees, even then you would want to use a ceramic heat emitter, which just produces heat and no light.
Don't worry about the puffing of the beard at the cat. This is normal. He is just showing his fierceness, LOL
If he seems to do this alot and looks stressed when the cat is around, maybe try keeping kitty away from him. :wink:

Fuzzyviper

Hatchling Member
Mine sleeps nearly vertical while gripping a branch every single night so I think it's their own personal preference where they sleep. When Malygos is ready for bed, he'll go over to the cool side of the tank, get himself on that tiny branch, and just give me the eye until I turn his light off. He actually slept in his normal basking area last night since he wanted to be up late for whatever reason and I eventually had to turn his light off to make him go!

I wouldn't worry about giving him a warm spot to sleep in as long as it doesn't get below 65 degrees. As someone else said, the coolness helps them sleep better since it tells their body to use less energy. I think it even helps humans sleep too, since many will set the thermostat to a cooler temperature at night.

He looks so fierce in that picture! I've heard once they learn to puff their beard that they will go a little bit "beard crazy" and do it quite often. "Look ma, I learned a new trick! I am fierce!" And yeah, he's just telling the cats that is a big, bad dragon.

cmh3988

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thanks everyone – I feel more secure that he’s not going to fall off in the middle of the night. I’ve seen so many of the vertical sleeping poses – they are so cute (and also uncomfortable looking, lol!). I ordered him a stuffed animal (a dragon!) today and am going to prop it up on the cool side by his sleeping log when it comes in. If he doesn’t want to cuddle I’ll take it out again. It’s usually about 69 – 73 at lights out, don’t have a night time heat source.

We actually have 4 cats who are pretty interested in him. He seems to like to watch them too so as long as he doesn’t seem stressed I guess I won’t worry him showing them who’s boss :whip: from inside the viv. That hangy-down thing in the throat cracks me up (and is kind of scary looking!). I’m glad humans can’t show that when they get mad!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom