Hiding when I’m not home

Natertot28

Beardie name(s)
Vhagar
I’ve had Vhagar about 14 months. She went thru brumation over the winter and has been up now for about 1.5 months. She’s been eating regularly, pooping every couple days, all normal. Basking side is 97-102 with the screen, uvb right next to it, reptisun 10. Below her basking branch, it’s around 95 or so. Cool side is around 80. Humidity usually around 30%.
I left Saturday for a wedding and came home Sunday. She was in her hide when I got home. Took her out, she stayed out. Now she seems to be going into her hide when I leave for work, and tends to stay there all morning, sometimes into the afternoon. She does stay out when I’m home though. Yesterday, she pooped (a big one) and it stunk. Usually it’s not too bad. Looked alright, well formed. Urate was white and slightly soft but also formed. She’s also been moody. Beard is darker, not completely black, when she’s in her tank and I’m home. She lightens up when she gets crickets or if she’s out and about with me. My concern is the hiding. It’s not like her. She also went thru a phase of running around and glass surfing during the morning, but obviously that’s gone cause she’s in her cave. Am I being overly concerned? Separation anxiety? Puberty?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I’ve had Vhagar about 14 months. She went thru brumation over the winter and has been up now for about 1.5 months. She’s been eating regularly, pooping every couple days, all normal. Basking side is 97-102 with the screen, uvb right next to it, reptisun 10. Below her basking branch, it’s around 95 or so. Cool side is around 80. Humidity usually around 30%.
I left Saturday for a wedding and came home Sunday. She was in her hide when I got home. Took her out, she stayed out. Now she seems to be going into her hide when I leave for work, and tends to stay there all morning, sometimes into the afternoon. She does stay out when I’m home though. Yesterday, she pooped (a big one) and it stunk. Usually it’s not too bad. Looked alright, well formed. Urate was white and slightly soft but also formed. She’s also been moody. Beard is darker, not completely black, when she’s in her tank and I’m home. She lightens up when she gets crickets or if she’s out and about with me. My concern is the hiding. It’s not like her. She also went thru a phase of running around and glass surfing during the morning, but obviously that’s gone cause she’s in her cave. Am I being overly concerned? Separation anxiety? Puberty?
Is the Rep 10 a coil or a long tube fixture and is it a T 5 or a T 8 ? Basking temps are being taken w/a digital probe thermometer? Stinky poop could be a sign of parasites ---

Natertot28

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Vhagar
It’s the mini compact (not the tube) and I have a digital thermometer right next to her basking spot. The stink I also thought maybe parasites. Saturday she went and it was fine. I just introduced her to summer squash Monday so I wasn’t sure if maybe that was the cause of the stink.

Natertot28

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Vhagar
I should also point out the heat lamp has been used since December of last year and the UVB since probably January sometime.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I should also point out the heat lamp has been used since December of last year and the UVB since probably January sometime.
Please get rid of the compact coil- they are a health hazard- please get a long tube fixture like a 24" Zoo Med for a 40+ gallon tank- this will come w/ a 5.0 bulb keep it for back up distance and placement is different from the reptisun 10.0 T 5 you need- or a Arcadia pro T 5 w/ 12% bulb this would be a good reason for the behavior your getting- these compact coils are terrible bulbs try this website www.pangeareptiles.com look under fixtures and uvb bulbs for the uvb's

Natertot28

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Vhagar
alright, I’ll do that. I’m also looking to get her more room, a bigger tank (trying to pay for a wedding and buying a house takes a lot lol). I also thought maybe she was moody cause her liner wasn’t spotless. I change it out once a week, but being gone over the weekend, I fell behind. I know she doesn’t like it even slightly messy.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
alright, I’ll do that. I’m also looking to get her more room, a bigger tank (trying to pay for a wedding and buying a house takes a lot lol). I also thought maybe she was moody cause her liner wasn’t spotless. I change it out once a week, but being gone over the weekend, I fell behind. I know she doesn’t like it even slightly messy.
What are you using for liner? And you are a busy girl!

Natertot28

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Vhagar
Lol oh yeah I’m a guy. I’m using a carpet. I didn’t want to use sand for obvious reasons, and didn’t want to use tile until I got her into her forever tank

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Lol oh yeah I’m a guy. I’m using a carpet. I didn’t want to use sand for obvious reasons, and didn’t want to use tile until I got her into her forever tank
Oops sorry! :) Please get some textured NON adhesive shelf liner cut to the size of the tank-- walmart or your local home improvement store- clean w/ vinegar and water 50 50 - sand is a bacteria harbor -

arehorseman

Maybe your dragon needs more space and more communication with you. I'm not a professional because my dragon is only five months old. But I have an experience with other little animals, and it always works. All dragon owners must understand that such animals subliminally miss natural conditions. You must completely replace it with its terrarium. The theme of the environment was my favorite during my studying at the university. Here are many interesting articles on this theme, which helped me write outstanding abstracts. Try to learn about your animal, and everything will be good. Don't worry!

Natertot28

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Vhagar
Maybe your dragon needs more space and more communication with you. I'm not a professional because my dragon is only five months old. But I have an experience with other little animals, and it always works. All dragon owners must understand that such animals subliminally miss natural conditions. You must completely replace it with its terrarium. The theme of the environment was my favorite during my studying at the university. Here are many interesting articles on this theme, which helped me write outstanding abstracts. Try to learn about your animal, and everything will be good. Don't worry!
Oh we figured it out. She was too hot. Replaced her basking branch with a hammock, thats set lower for her. No more hiding, more basking, and the poo has been much better

Anjayyy

Please get rid of the compact coil- they are a health hazard- please get a long tube fixture like a 24" Zoo Med for a 40+ gallon tank- this will come w/ a 5.0 bulb keep it for back up distance and placement is different from the reptisun 10.0 T 5 you need- or a Arcadia pro T 5 w/ 12% bulb this would be a good reason for the behavior your getting- these compact coils are terrible bulbs try this website www.pangeareptiles.com look under fixtures and uvb bulbs for the uvb's
You can get t5 fixtures on Amazon very inexpensively. Just search t5 grow light fixture. The fixture is 2 inches longer than bulb. Like for example if you order a 24 inch fixture, you need a 22 inch t5 bulb. The t5 needs to only cover half the enclosure. Length wise. I've found that the bulbs are cheaper on Chewy.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom