Hidey holes... Good or Bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was reading online about hides and I read a few times that they are bad for bearded dragons because it doesn't allow them to get the right amount of UV light if they use them frequently. I was wondering if having a hide was a good or bad idea for my custom viv I'm building. I want to include somewhere my beardie can go to get cozy or whatever but I don't want it to affect her health.

Any thoughts and suggestions?

Katiema10

Strange. I've never heard of no hides. My three year old loves to bask and hide equally, my five month old hides when he gets tired, and my girl loves hiding all the time. All of them are perfectly healthy, though. So I wouldn't worry about it. I think they like having the option to hide or come out. They do it in the wild just fine. :)

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
You definitely want to include hides and shade areas. They don't bask constantly so it's best to set up an area of high heat and UVB, lower heat and some UVB, heat and no UVB (shade areas on the warm side) and lower heat and no UVB. By providing this gradient you will allow them to self regulate and get what they need. They move around the enclosure quite a bit and know best what they need at any given time. This guide that Taterbug made helps to demonstrate what I'm describing. https://sites.google.com/site/thelizardmadness/photogradient

Scottishscales

Original Poster
Thanks! I actually really like that site and it helped a lot :] i have a better idea of how im going to set stuff up now. Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Daniefran04
Top Bottom