Hi! wondering what would be the best way to get a sick beardie used to his new enclosure without stressing him out.

sunnystunna

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Oslo/Ozzie
First of all, Hello all! I’m brand new here :). So I finally ordered Ozzie, my rescue, a new enclosure since the one he came in is way too small. The thing is, Oslo is terminally ill. While he’s pretty stable right now, he’s in renal failure and has MBD. When I took him in, the stress of having a new handler, despite leaving his enclosure as close to how it was as I could and also consider it safe, nearly almost killed him. He became impacted, constantly stressed out, and we were back and forth to and from the vet constantly.

How could I make this transition as smooth as possible for him? I plan on using everything in his new enclosure so things won’t be too different, with a similar layout, and then slowly adding more to fill in the gaps.

Should I set it up and introduce him to it slowly? Let him spend a few hours a day in there until he gets used to it, or just move him completely over all at once?

Any ideas/tips/advice are extremely welcomed & appreciated!!! I love my little guy and I want him to be as happy as possible for as long as possible to try to somehow make up for everything his previous owner put him through.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
First of all, Hello all! I’m brand new here :). So I finally ordered Ozzie, my rescue, a new enclosure since the one he came in is way too small. The thing is, Oslo is terminally ill. While he’s pretty stable right now, he’s in renal failure and has MBD. When I took him in, the stress of having a new handler, despite leaving his enclosure as close to how it was as I could and also consider it safe, nearly almost killed him. He became impacted, constantly stressed out, and we were back and forth to and from the vet constantly.

How could I make this transition as smooth as possible for him? I plan on using everything in his new enclosure so things won’t be too different, with a similar layout, and then slowly adding more to fill in the gaps.

Should I set it up and introduce him to it slowly? Let him spend a few hours a day in there until he gets used to it, or just move him completely over all at once?

Any ideas/tips/advice are extremely welcomed & appreciated!!! I love my little guy and I want him to be as happy as possible for as long as possible to try to somehow make up for everything his previous owner put him through
Poor baby -- is he moving around at all ? If hes comfortable in the old enclosure I would leave him - it is going to stress him out moving him into a new tank --- what was he being fed to cause impaction? Just make sure his lighting is good --- no coils for UVB --- good surface basking temps 95-100 taken w / a digital probe thermometer --- that alone is going to keep him comfortable as best as you can ---

sunnystunna

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Oslo/Ozzie
Poor baby -- is he moving around at all ? If hes comfortable in the old enclosure I would leave him - it is going to stress him out moving him into a new tank --- what was he being fed to cause impaction? Just make sure his lighting is good --- no coils for UVB --- good surface basking temps 95-100 taken w / a digital probe thermometer --- that alone is going to keep him comfortable as best as you can ---
I fed him turnip greens, kale, and super worms around that time. Taking him in was literally a last minute thing. I went over to a coworkers house, saw how he was being treated went home, researched, made calls to see if anyone else could take him, then brought him home the next day. I don’t think lighting was an issue, because his previous owner gave him 3 hours of uva + no uvb so he didn’t get proper lighting until he was brought into my care. It took about a week to get a uvb tube in but I bought a brand new uva that stayed on 12 hrs a day and kept temps right.

He moves around some. Hangs out on different corners, but not exactly the most active. He gets stress spots from time to time but they quickly go away the moment I take him out, so I’m not sure if it’s the small space stressing him out or separation anxiety. Not to mention the enclosure has seen better days. Both of the doors aren’t attached, just wedged in where they’re supposed to be & have to be completely taken off and put back when I need to open it, and the top is warped from the lights. However that’s more of an inconvenience for me than anything, and I could put up with it if you think that he would be better off staying in his 36x18x18in.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I fed him turnip greens, kale, and super worms around that time. Taking him in was literally a last minute thing. I went over to a coworkers house, saw how he was being treated went home, researched, made calls to see if anyone else could take him, then brought him home the next day. I don’t think lighting was an issue, because his previous owner gave him 3 hours of uva + no uvb so he didn’t get proper lighting until he was brought into my care. It took about a week to get a uvb tube in but I bought a brand new uva that stayed on 12 hrs a day and kept temps right.

He moves around some. Hangs out on different corners, but not exactly the most active. He gets stress spots from time to time but they quickly go away the moment I take him out, so I’m not sure if it’s the small space stressing him out or separation anxiety. Not to mention the enclosure has seen better days. Both of the doors aren’t attached, just wedged in where they’re supposed to be & have to be completely taken off and put back when I need to open it, and the top is warped from the lights. However that’s more of an inconvenience for me than anything, and I could put up with it if you think that he would be better off staying in his 36x18x18in.
The UVB your using please tell me brand and bulb- this could be the cause for the stress marks - also the move-- but we need to get your surface basking temps correct and the UVB - this is critical for his over all health - so hes in a 40 gallon tank - we do recommend a 4x2x2 tank for a adult dragon-- but first I want to get your lighting correct so he can adjust better -- the UVB is critical --- how long was he in the other owners care - my guess he has developed MBD and w/ out the proper UVB now it will continue to get worse -- lets get him adjusted to his surroundings anytime you move a dragon they will go thru relocation stress -- thats a given - but w/ his health at this time is more important - are you feeding a staple insect? Super worms are for treats --

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
It makes me so sad what people do to these precious little animals. It only takes 30 minutes of research to at least learn how to give them the basics to keep them healthy. Its inexcusable. I hope karma gets everyone of them.
Having made that rant. It gives me faith in humanity again to read these stories of the heroes that recue them.
You sir are a hero! .... or mam which ever the case may be

sunnystunna

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Oslo/Ozzie
The UVB your using please tell me brand and bulb- this could be the cause for the stress marks - also the move-- but we need to get your surface basking temps correct and the UVB - this is critical for his over all health - so hes in a 40 gallon tank - we do recommend a 4x2x2 tank for a adult dragon-- but first I want to get your lighting correct so he can adjust better -- the UVB is critical --- how long was he in the other owners care - my guess he has developed MBD and w/ out the proper UVB now it will continue to get worse -- lets get him adjusted to his surroundings anytime you move a dragon they will go thru relocation stress -- thats a given - but w/ his health at this time is more important - are you feeding a staple insect? Super worms are for treats --
I have a T5 10.0 bulb that is 24 inches long. It’s the reptisun by zoo med. I feel like since this enclosure is 6inches taller I need to mount it on the inside, but I’m not sure how I’ll do that yet because I haven’t seen the enclosure in person yet. Not sure what I’ll do about the uva. I can’t move his basking spot up any higher because on his bad days he has enough trouble getting to it now…

In the 40, basking spot stays about 98, hot side is about 85, cool side is 80, and he likes to stay in the cooler spots mostly. Night stays about 75.

I’m not really sure how long she had him, I’m guessing about a year because she said he was over a year old. It’s definitely why he has MBD, but I think the uvb has done some good. He’s definitely been doing a lot better under my care. No vomiting, regular bowl movements, and he’ll eat if hand fed. He gets very short bursts of energy and then sleeps a good bit. But he’s stable, happy, and he does have some quality of life, I just don’t want a new enclosure to undo our progress.

He gets 2-3 dubias a week, a hornworm once a week, and calciworms. Note that he doesn’t get just a ton of bugs because my vet has advised against giving too much protein. It will only further his kidney failure. Super worms were just the only thing I could get ahold of that quickly, everything else has to come via mail. Plus that’s the only thing he was being fed by his previous owner (no veggies, so the dehydration + surplus of protein caused the renal failure), and we had decided to very slowly & carefully add things to his diet after we had a probiotic in his system. But I assure you now he gets plenty of variety. I keep about 7 different veggies on hand, 4 staples & 3 occasional veggies, 2 fruits, and the bugs listed above. I also give bee pollen to entice him to eat + help him gain weight (he’s about 235g, but only 13 inches.) and he gets reptiaid once a day for immune health & better appetite.

Another question: he’s been shedding for a month now, in different spots. Should I wait to move him after he is finished shedding? I know sometimes it can add a little stress.

sunnystunna

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Oslo/Ozzie
It makes me so sad what people do to these precious little animals. It only takes 30 minutes of research to at least learn how to give them the basics to keep them healthy. Its inexcusable. I hope karma gets everyone of them.
Having made that rant. It gives me faith in humanity again to read these stories of the heroes that recue them.
You sir are a hero! .... or mam which ever the case may be
Yeah. It’s pretty sad. Honestly I don’t even think it was the lack of info. She knew exactly what he needed, mostly, and just ‘didn’t have the time’ for it. Wouldn’t turn his lights on because she was afraid of burning her house down? Then claimed her vet friend said he was in brumation and committing suicide so she needed to let him die??

My theory is she didn’t want to worry with him when she moved off to university. I’m just happy I could save him and give him a good life. I’ve never owned a reptile before, and I cry weekly about how I’m ultimately a bearded dragon hospice nurse at the moment, it’s a lot of ups and downs, but ultimately I really love being a beardie mommy. He’s been my top priority for exactly 3 months today and it’s been a wonderful experience overall. The way we’ve bonded is just. Insane. We literally take turns smiling at each other from across the room sometimes.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
They have a way of winning your heart for sure. I'm gkad he is finally getting the love he deserves

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I have a T5 10.0 bulb that is 24 inches long. It’s the reptisun by zoo med. I feel like since this enclosure is 6inches taller I need to mount it on the inside, but I’m not sure how I’ll do that yet because I haven’t seen the enclosure in person yet. Not sure what I’ll do about the uva. I can’t move his basking spot up any higher because on his bad days he has enough trouble getting to it now…

In the 40, basking spot stays about 98, hot side is about 85, cool side is 80, and he likes to stay in the cooler spots mostly. Night stays about 75.

I’m not really sure how long she had him, I’m guessing about a year because she said he was over a year old. It’s definitely why he has MBD, but I think the uvb has done some good. He’s definitely been doing a lot better under my care. No vomiting, regular bowl movements, and he’ll eat if hand fed. He gets very short bursts of energy and then sleeps a good bit. But he’s stable, happy, and he does have some quality of life, I just don’t want a new enclosure to undo our progress.

He gets 2-3 dubias a week, a hornworm once a week, and calciworms. Note that he doesn’t get just a ton of bugs because my vet has advised against giving too much protein. It will only further his kidney failure. Super worms were just the only thing I could get ahold of that quickly, everything else has to come via mail. Plus that’s the only thing he was being fed by his previous owner (no veggies, so the dehydration + surplus of protein caused the renal failure), and we had decided to very slowly & carefully add things to his diet after we had a probiotic in his system. But I assure you now he gets plenty of variety. I keep about 7 different veggies on hand, 4 staples & 3 occasional veggies, 2 fruits, and the bugs listed above. I also give bee pollen to entice him to eat + help him gain weight (he’s about 235g, but only 13 inches.) and he gets reptiaid once a day for immune health & better appetite.

Another question: he’s been shedding for a month now, in different spots. Should I wait to move him after he is finished shedding? I know sometimes it can add a little stress.
Your doing a great job and I am sure the little guy appreciates everything your doing for him --- w/ the UVB it needs to be inside the tank if we are talking a 24 inch tall tank - distance 12-15 inches directly above his basking decor- if hes having a hard time getting around place some rolled up dish towels under the UVB - if you can have the UVB and the basking lamp next to one another - you can place the UVB vertical / width wise if you can across the tank and have the basking lamp next to it-- if that does not work w/ the UVB you can hang the UVB w/ these things
3 M command Velcro fasteners- picture hanging wire – long plastic zip ties-- fishing line
I am going to flag Tracie our vet tech mod to the post and have her address the kidney issues -
the lack of UVB has caused him not to be able to absorb the calcium w/ the T 5 he has now its going to help him do that - when they are young their main diet is protein and they need that UVB and good surface basking temps to be able to start digesting their food and absorbing the calcium-- you have stopped the MBD from getting worse by getting him the T 5 -- we just need to get it properly placed and distanced for him so he gets the full benefits from it --
@Drache613

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom