Hi! Nice to be here.

Skittles567

Beardie name(s)
Spike, Electra
Hi there. Due to having a question about one of my beardies, I just joined this forum. I already posted my question, so now am introducing myself and my animals. I’m a mature adult who only in the past few years discovered the joys of keeping reptiles. I have my two beardies, Spike and Electra. Although they are both around the same age of 3 years old, I’ve had them for different lengths of time.
Spike was an impulse buy from a chain pet store. He wasn’t nearly as active as the other babies and I figured he wasn’t doing so well and wanted to give him a chance. After a rocky first week, I’ve watched him grow into a handsome and massive dragon. He brumates and last year did so for four months. After being a lethargic blob for about a month, he finally went into his hide and made this year’s brumation official a couple of weeks ago.
I gave getting another beardie a lot of thought over at least a year. I prefer to ‘rescue’ animals from places like Craig’sList that are in need of proper care and/or recovery. This past September, along came Electra. Even though her care was lacking, she was in surprisingly decent condition. It took her well over a week to poop out all of the sand in her system and I’ve been working on getting some flesh over her bony little hips and head. While she had no deformities from mbd, I suspect she had some as she just didn’t feel solid. She feels much less soft and squishy now.
What first introduced me to the joys of reptiles was one of my chameleons. I hadn’t planned on getting any reptiles and had done zero research. I only took the animal so as to prevent it from an inevitable death of getting passed around from child to child. Thankfully I found all the right info and have been enjoying that same chameleon along with another 4 over the past 3 1/2 years. I have 3 veiled chameleons and 2 panther chams - 1 male of each type.
I also discovered how freaking adorable leopard geckos are, so have gotten 4 of them from CL too.
I keep my chameleons bioactively, along with one of my leopard geckos. All but one of my geckos will be having their bioactive set up‘s redone shortly. One of my Leo’s is quite special and due to some mbd from his former life, needs a little help eating. I did try beardie Spike in a bioactive and he made it very clear that he hated it and I was to get rid of it immediately. Not sure if I’ll try a bioactive for Electra.
I also have 2 old lazy cats and 1 older fat beast dog.

Skittles567

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Spike, Electra
I’ve finally reached the place in my life where I can prioritize my love for animals and am taking full advantage of it. 🤗
Pics? You want to see my critters? Sure! Mwah ha ha! Let me start with the chameleons.
This is my sweet Grumpy who started the whole reptile journey - female veiled chameleon - saved from death by child
05FFBF5D-BFF3-4EEB-9DA4-F708C1B86A8B.jpeg

Next came the beautiful but fierce Stella - another female veiled - didn’t look well at chain pet store
E755557B-75E6-42DE-B55C-DB5CD49951EC.jpeg

The big handsome Hammlet - male veiled (waited months for him to hatch and be old enough)
160EBB27-699B-47AC-950D-8B815A89EF5C.jpeg

My amazing and friendly sweetheart Jack - male panther (Ambilobe locale) was rehomed to me with mild mbd and vitamin deficiencies
8EB26B73-00F7-461A-996B-E513F5870C17.jpg

My adorable cutie patootie Kali - female panther (Nosy Be locale) She was too cute to refuse when offered to me
B29C15B7-ABA2-494D-8C28-911ABA501597.jpeg

Leopard geckos next with the handsome Handsome - CL find
EB7241B4-DB13-4342-A126-09D3A9F8603D.jpeg

He was being housed on calci sand with what is likely his sister, my sweet and curious Tandy.
186A96FD-DD74-4B97-94DD-124FA7BB6FEF.jpeg

I adore my ‘special’ little Kirby. CL rescue - was in bad condition and needs some help eating and shedding.
B76294D7-ECF8-4528-8972-20DFCD964895.jpeg

Otis - another from CL - was told he can’t be handled because he bites. He walks onto my hand willingly and only bit once at the 1st time I ever fed him.
67E4E42E-20F3-4384-8E3F-C942AB0A94DD.jpeg
Next, beardies with my big boy Spike - impulse from chain pet store (he wasn’t active at all like his siblings & I felt for him)
EAC162A0-EB3D-4631-894E-932706BD5755.jpeg

My beautiful lady Electra - CL find - kept on sand, without proper uvb and underweight.
10F70624-AA08-41D6-98BA-BA59B5C9734F.jpeg

Then the mammals…Beast dog getting old but still keeps me on my toes, chewing and eating whatever he can reach.
36DE88C3-754D-4483-8CA3-F6A4B123A7F9.jpeg

Fat lazy Tabby - often acts more like a dog than a cat and likes to hold hands/paws with me.
31F63116-780D-4380-99E1-9C8766679B82.jpeg

The oldest of the bunch, Little One (there used to be a bigger one) but still acts like a kitten and steals my hair ties
29265A0B-6C39-47DB-AF72-84547FA11CFF.jpeg

Then I have my insect feeder breeding projects. Have a nice colony of discoid roaches. For the past year have been breeding superworms, so have the darkling beetles. Working on breeding my own crickets (even though I hate crickets). This year I learned how to breed hornworms and usually have them in one stage or another of their lifecycle. Also breed silkworms at times with mixed results. Newest project is trying to breed arid springtails and isopods other than giant canyon - have zebra, dairy cow and powder orange. Not sure yet if it’s just for ‘fun’ or if I’ll use them for my geckos.

Attachments

• 14A2DC09-945B-496A-806C-CE3903371E82.jpeg
    14A2DC09-945B-496A-806C-CE3903371E82.jpeg
    239.2 KB · Views: 71
  • 9E497B2E-1139-4BB7-B869-419BACA241CD.jpeg
    9E497B2E-1139-4BB7-B869-419BACA241CD.jpeg
    166.8 KB · Views: 70

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I love chams., yours are really beautiful and they were all showing out for the photo op, lol ! I have a male veiled now and had others in the past. Also bought a female Jackson's at a chain store about 18 yrs. ago that gave birth just days after I bought her and it was amazing to watch them being born, tumbling down the branches and instinctively grabbing on. Jackson's are one of the few that give live birth.

Chams. are amazing but you have to know how to care for them and it's nice to see how healthy yours are. They don't know how good they have it with you. :)

Skittles567

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Spike, Electra
I love chams., yours are really beautiful and they were all showing out for the photo op, lol ! I have a male veiled now and had others in the past. Also bought a female Jackson's at a chain store about 18 yrs. ago that gave birth just days after I bought her and it was amazing to watch them being born, tumbling down the branches and instinctively grabbing on. Jackson's are one of the few that give live birth.

Chams. are amazing but you have to know how to care for them and it's nice to see how healthy yours are. They don't know how good they have it with you. :)
Thank you for the compliments. 🥰
The live birth chameleons are astounding! Within seconds of being plopped out, they are grabbing and climbing. Nature is so cool and you are so fortunate to have experienced that!

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go88app
Top Bottom