Hi all, new beardie owner here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

puffsmommy

Hi everyone. Just call me Puffsmommy. Puff is our new magic dragon. I read the books, but am still kind of confused by his going ons!

We fed him crickets yesterday. He loved them. Then about 9 pm we turned off his light and he ran to the corner and "propped" himself up in the corner on his hind legs and fell asleep. I got up early this morning and he was still propped up, but a little scrunched. His back legs were behind him and his tail was stiff as a board. I thought he was dead. I poked at him and he was cold to the touch and wouldn't wake up. I put the basking light over him to see if he was dead and his little eyes starting moving. HOLY MOLY!!! Thank goodness he woke up.

So, after puting the basking light on, he finally woke up and went to warm up. He hasn't eaten yet today and it has been another whole day. He is approximately 4-8 months old and is about a foot long. I guess being a mom I am worried that he hasn't eaten. Is this normal?

Just to let you know if you didn't already know this, they do not poop pellets like rabbits! I guess that is what I was expecting. Boy was I wrong!
Welcome to the world of beardies right???

jaws_of_life

Juvie Member
well if yer beardie got too cold or cold enough it may try to brumate (beardie hibernation) and in this case will sleep to conserve energy and have a loss of apetite... its not too hard to force brumation so you need to monitor temperature... if his appetite doesnt change in the next couple days you may need to force feed or contact a vet

Solo's Mom

Gray-bearded Member
Welcome to the forum! You'll love it here :D
As for him propping himself in the corner - they like to sleep in very odd positions lol - if you look for a post in the photo expressions section you'll see what I mean. Some say that by propping themselves up funny they are making it easier for their bodies to digest :D Be careful not to feed too close to bed time - they need an hour minimum (I like to give at least 2 hours) of basking time after being fed so they can properly digest (they need the heat to help with this).

The older your beardie gets the less often he will want food, his tastes will turn more and more to wanting salad rather than just bugs (well this is usually the case).

Sekhautet

BD.org Sicko
Hi! Pooping pellets ... That was funny. ROFL. Must have really shocked you! Heeeheee ... Welcome aboard! I suggest you read some of the care sheets on here to get more info. Often times, the pet store will give you bad info on care, substrate, food, temps, etc. It might help you out. 8)

Claire

Hi Puffsmommy!
Welcome aboard! I'm fairly new here too. there's lots of great advice to be had on this forum, I'm sure you'll find it useful. The care sheets are definately worth a look, I've found just reading up loads on Beardie care has been invaluable.
Our male BD also sometimes likes to sleep in this posisition - Mad!
I've read that it can sometimes take them a few days to settle in a new home before they eat properly, but, Yeh, I'd follow that advice and get him to a vet if he doesn't settle soon. :)
Claire

puffsmommy

Original Poster
Thank you all. Puff has quite gotten use to the house. He eats very well now. He was a little shy on veggies, but yesterday I introduced him to carrots. He loves them. He also likes bananas? Who would have thought. I tried collard greens and he turns his nose up to them. We'll keep trying new things. Thank you all again for the help.

MNEXUS

Sub-Adult Member
Hi :D and welcome aboard. Avacados, and fireflies or glowworms are a big no-no as thay can kill your beardie. Mine doesn`t like Collards but does like mustard greens, Dandelions are alright too if they havent been sprayed with pesticides. there is a list of foods for beardies at http://www.beautifuldragons.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom