Hey y'all! I'm new here

PogosMom2

Beardie name(s)
Pogo
So glad I found this forum. Seems like I always have questions and after reading some of the posts I do believe I'm in the right place. My little buddy's name is Pogo. He was rescued by my granddaughter a couple of months ago and he ended up with me. She has three dragons and has been a great source when I have questions but I need a bit more.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
So glad I found this forum. Seems like I always have questions and after reading some of the posts I do believe I'm in the right place. My little buddy's name is Pogo. He was rescued by my granddaughter a couple of months ago and he ended up with me. She has three dragons and has been a great source when I have questions but I need a bit more.
Ok well please ask and welcome to the forum

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Welcome to the forum. Don't be shy about asking about anything at all, there is a lot of great folk here that can help with pretty much anything.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
I was reading your profile and in the pics it looks like your using the screw in compact type uvb. If so, those bulbs are horrible for your dragon 🐉. They really need the long tube florescent type bulbs to thrive. If you've got a minute maybe post the details of your setup and pics of your bulbs and the screen top on your habitat (the type of screen determines bulbs placement). No one here is judgemental, but we can help get your setup on point so your beardie can live the best and healthiest life.
If you want to post pics of Pogo, or tell us about his adventures we love that to 🙂.

Oh I'll post a pic of how to sex them so you can have a gender reveal 😁 (be careful with the light some get hot enough to burn them if held there to long)

Attachments

• s2OIALbl.jpg
    s2OIALbl.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 66

PogosMom2

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Pogo
I've been reading the forums and am really impressed with how friendly everyone is and how understanding they are of someone's lack of experience. I've been making a list of things I need to change in Pogo's tank but it will all have to come slowly. I'm going to go in and take some close ups of my tank and will be back.

PogosMom2

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Pogo
I've been reading the forums and am really impressed with how friendly everyone is and how understanding they are of someone's lack of experience. I've been making a list of things I need to change in Pogo's tank but it will all have to come slowly. I'm going to go in and take some close ups of my tank and will be back.

Attachments

• IMG_0939.jpeg
    IMG_0939.jpeg
    225.2 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_0938.jpeg
    IMG_0938.jpeg
    167.1 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_0937.jpeg
    IMG_0937.jpeg
    213 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_0929.jpeg
    IMG_0929.jpeg
    148.1 KB · Views: 76

PogosMom2

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Pogo
I was going to do the flashlight test but it appears Pogo is not a happy lizard today. Workmen are making a lot of noise in stalling a new AC unit, the dog is barking at them and Pogo is dark right now. I did include a cuddling pic from yesterday. He loves to be babied

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
That's a sweet pic of Pogo 🙂
Looking at your lights, you need to make some changes asap. That is a compact uvb, they don't provide adequate uvb and will cause health issue pretty quickly. I also don't see a basking light, they need a bright white basking bulb for heat, they can't digest food properly without it. The basking CAN go in the same dome as the heat emitter as long as they aren't on at the same time. (The heat emitter will overheat and blow the basking buld if on at the same time). The basking bulb will be ok on top of the screen, the uvb may need to be under the screen depending on which one you end up with.
Also the stick on thermometers aren't accurate, you can get the digital probe type at petsmart or most any petstore that sell reptile supplies, they are only like 10-15 dollars and work very well.
We always stress the lighting so much because it's critical to their health, like i said earlier we are not judging you, we all had to learn it in the beginning to, we just want you to have the best experience with Pogo 🙂

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
You need a long tube fixture for a uvb - this is crucial - we recommend 3 different brands on this forum - I can post links for them if you like- but you need one of these asap - basking bulbs like flukers basking - Arcadia halogen--or a exo Terra intense bulb - che's are good for keeping tanks warm in the winter but you want a solid clear bright white basking bulb like the examples I posted

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Please do post links! I can handle you telling me what i need to improve :) Thats why I'm here
For a 40 + gallon tank a 24" fixture will work this fixture has a 5.0 bulb that comes w/ it - you will need the bulb I post for it
Zoo Med ReptiSun T5 HO High Output Terrarium Hood
22" Zoo Med ReptiSun 10.0 UVB T5 HO High Output Fluorescent Bulb
this one you can find at Pet Smart you want the 24 watt 12% bulb
Arcadia Reptile ProT5 UV-B Kit | reptile Light Fixtures | PetSmart
or this one you will need to change the bulb out to the one I posted above and you need the 2 ft or 24"
when you get the UVB please post back on here and I will help you set it up for the tank --- your screen will determine where it needs to go for placement and distance --
If your daughter has the same set up as you do now she needs to do the same thing --- her dragons are getting sick - the UVB and the incorrect basking bulb is not providing the adequate lighting - the basking bulb provides UVA --- the basking bulbs are trial and error and you MUST have the digital probe thermometers to get the actual surface basking temps

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Karrieree is our resident go to on lighting, work with her and she can help you get everything spot on 🙂

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jelynnm
Top Bottom