Here is a picture of a female dubia laying an egg sack

Status
Not open for further replies.

Twobeardieguy

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
It is a possibility that the dubias could be at the end of their cycle! I'm an expert in dubias so if you are not seeing any babies at all then it is possible!

Momto3boys

Sub-Adult Member
I have seen the egg sack 3 times in the last week :blob8:

Lance, that egg sack in the second set of pictures seems really really long, is it normally that long?
All 3 that I seen were about the length of the first pics :wink:

I LOVE watching them molt, then of course checking in to see how fast they change color, honestly I had no idea they turned white when they molted, the very first tmie I opened my bin and seen a white one, I nearly died...I thought some other creature had snuck into my bin :lol:

snowdragon

Hatchling Member
Here is a pic of my setup

dubiabin1.jpg

insidebin.jpg

Twobeardieguy

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
Momto3boys":3e786 said:
I have seen the egg sack 3 times in the last week :blob8:

Lance, that egg sack in the second set of pictures seems really really long, is it normally that long?
All 3 that I seen were about the length of the first pics :wink:

I LOVE watching them molt, then of course checking in to see how fast they change color, honestly I had no idea they turned white when they molted, the very first tmie I opened my bin and seen a white one, I nearly died...I thought some other creature had snuck into my bin :lol:
Brandy, that is great! Yes eggs sacks can almost double their body size. It all depends on when they mate in their life cycle. Means more babies for me! Wooohoo.. And I would of loved to see your face when you opened up the bin...HEHEHE :lol: :wink:

thacarter

i took a look at my colony today (just started a few days ago) a little bit ago and i saw an adult female laying an egg sack just like in the picture posted, but she was dead and never finished laying the egg sack, what is the reason for dying during that? is it just a coincidence? my set up is not perfect right yet but its liveable at 70 degrees, eggs crates, 10 gallon tote, about 25 adult pairs, 500 mixed nymphs (mostly small)

Triage

Hatchling Member
Alright, since we are talking about egg sacks, I have a question.

I was putting some fresh oranges in my tote the other day and saw what appeared to be a dried up egg sac in the bottom. Is this a "dropped" egg sac? I am not sure what happens to the egg sack after the female gives birth. Is it discarded or is it absorbed in the body?

And someone just said "livable" at 70 degrees. 70 degrees is our median temperature here in Virginia. And my garage is a constant 70 degrees. I was under the impression that these critters would not survive in temperatures that low. So whats the skinny? Are they going to survive outside of there tote in my garage?????? Cause I MIGHT have lost a nymphs or two. :banghead:

Momto3boys

Sub-Adult Member
I probably shouldnt be the one giving you advice but from what I have read a dropped egg sack can happen when the female gets stressed...someone (Lance?) please correct me if I'm wrong!

Also roaches CAN live in cooler temps, they just won't breed as easily...

Twobeardieguy

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
Yes it can be from being stressed, older life cycle her body could not absorb the sack back in or further research seems if it is to cold her body can not process the sack properly!

snowdragon

Hatchling Member
Well I was real close on giving up and today I opened the bin up to put new water gel and new food in when I saw it. I am the new proud poppa of some babies. There are only about 12 of them but at least I have some. :blob5: :blob8: :blob5: :blob8:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mnstorm07
Top Bottom