Here is a picture of a female dubia laying an egg sack

Status
Not open for further replies.

Twobeardieguy

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
ohsmileb":1exkr74u said:
Hey Lance, for the last week or so everytime I've opened my bin, the sides have been wet, like as if someone were to mist it.
How do I stop that/make it stop? I haven't added anything in there besides last week which were some greens and I use crystals. Right now I have Bandit's heat lamp clamped on it hoping to dry it up a little, is that okay?
Hi sounds like you have a ventilation problem. Just make sure the food and water is far enough away from the heat. You may need to open up the screen more. How big is the screen now? I would wipe dry the sides because remember mold or mildew will kill a colony quick! Make sure the egg creates and frass are dry. Also make sure that your egg creates are not over crowded. I follow the rule of thumb, 10-20 babies per one drop in an egg create or two adults per. Hope that helps. :D

Twobeardieguy

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
TASTIGER":krfvj2zs said:
Twobeardieguy":krfvj2zs said:
TASTIGER":krfvj2zs said:
I couldn't hold one even with a glove on! They are so nasty :puke:
Oh come on Morgan their not that bad. :D
You can keep telling me that but you will never change my mind lol
We have been going on and off about this for soooooo loooong. :laughhard: Like I said just doooooooooo itttttttttttttttttttttt! :laughhard: You will thank me when you do. :p

NatashaDawn

Hatchling Member
I was wondering if I could ask a colony question or two :) I started my colony off about 3 weeks ago. I started with 30-35 females and 15-20 males and some nymphs maybe 30-40... which is just what was offered from a local guy as a starter colony. I feed them small dog food pellets, oranges, greens, and anything else my dragon or family doesn't eat that is a fruit or vegetable. No mold because I clean the food out before it rots and always place food on a lid and not the bin floor. My bin stays between 83-87 with 2 heat mats//// don't know why I can't get temps up more, but thats life. I have a small 7-8" screen vent cut out on top and I use water crystals and recently added a cup of water to help with humidity because I am not seeing many molts or any egg sacks o new babies. My baby beardie has eaten all the ones that are small enough and I am considering ordering the 500 for $25 I saw in the for sale section to feed off of. So to my question...lol.... If there are too many males will it slow down baby making production? It seems like a stupid question, but I keep noticing throughout this thread that you guys keep saying you need to wean out the males. Is that mainly because there is not a use for so many or is it also because of other reasons?

CodyG

Whew! That was a long read. I'm new on this forum, but a long time lurker. Have my own dubia colony going in my room, and a cricket colony in the garage. Lots of awesome pics and info on here, Thanks Lance! :blob5:

p.s. What ever happened to Sandy, she ever pick one up? hahaha :laughhard:

Twobeardieguy

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
CodyG":31e9opc6 said:
Whew! That was a long read. I'm new on this forum, but a long time lurker. Have my own dubia colony going in my room, and a cricket colony in the garage. Lots of awesome pics and info on here, Thanks Lance! :blob5:

p.s. What ever happened to Sandy, she ever pick one up? hahaha :laughhard:
Hi Cody and welcome. Well I am not sure if she ever held one. LOL. I haven't talked to her since her last post. :( Hope she is well. Thanks again. :D

NatashaDawn

Hatchling Member
Hey Lance, or well anyone really, I have a dubia question. When I bought my dubia starter colony from a local guy the colony was about 25/30f and 25/30m I counted today and I had 26 of each not including the ones that are a molt away from being able to tell. I haven't been having much luck breeding yet....its been about 4-5 weeks. I recently read that too many males could start battling instead of breeding. I have only had 1 and maybe a second die on me. the second i'm not sure if they stop moving much before a molt or if its just on its last day... probably the latter. I did notice that most all of the males have their wings chewed on and some of them are nearly chewed off...plus one female had an entire wing and a chunk of her chewed off. I separated out most of the males and kept the best looking (less chewed on) guys in there ratioing out to like 26 females and 10 males maybe 11. There are not other bugs or insects in there, but I didn't know they would chew and eat on each other. They should not be that hungry I put fresh food in every day and throw the old stuff out when I put the new stuff in.
19FAF52B-03CC-46D7-BB5B-5EDF13F00CDE-26785-00000165C0E3CFDC.jpg
5C8F8BB3-41B6-4CAD-9AE2-182DAB6D15A7-26785-00000165BD1950CA.jpg
9B5E26FC-4AA9-4A2C-AB5D-9D337A0F071D-26785-00000165A75115B4.jpg
70F3C1E4-341E-43D8-8268-2192267E0E59-26785-00000165CBAF10FB.jpg
D0B6FB7C-E331-4405-8DA9-B70C7FFB7EBA-26785-00000165AF7B1EE1.jpg
109DC5FA-317B-460B-856D-67521BCEA864-26785-00000165A322C2CC.jpg

Twobeardieguy

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
Hello, well that one male is at a later stage in life. That is when there wings start to fall apart. However the other male n female does have some chew marks. I would bump up the protein in the chow. Also make sure the bin is big enough and enough egg creates so they have plenty of room. Separating them will also help. A lot of people think that to many males they will chew each other. Well most of The time low protein will cause imbalance. Hope this helps...

NatashaDawn

Hatchling Member
Thank you I appreciate it, on another topic someone mentioned you have a chow mix? How long would you say (guesstimating) a pound would last a colony with under 65 total?

Twobeardieguy

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
NatashaDawn":3l4tvxye said:
Thank you I appreciate it, on another topic someone mentioned you have a chow mix? How long would you say (guesstimating) a pound would last a colony with under 65 total?
Under 65 I would say 3 weeks to a month depends how warm it is. :D

NatashaDawn

Hatchling Member
Hey thanks Lance also I was wondering if the nymphs would grow faster at higher temps? Or if they grow the same no matter what?

Twobeardieguy

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
NatashaDawn":2ym6ex2x said:
Hey thanks Lance also I was wondering if the nymphs would grow faster at higher temps? Or if they grow the same no matter what?
The warmer it is it will help grow quicker.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom