Here is a picture of a female dubia laying an egg sack

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im sorry if this was already answered in the 39 pages of posts (admittedly I only read to page 8) how many breeding pairs should I start with for only one dragon that is almost a year old, hes probably any where from 9 to 11 months.

Trogdorpheus

Juvie Member
Well my girl will eat (when she's eating... brumation, semi- or otherwise sucks) anywhere from 3-5 large nymphs at a time. She's about the same age as yours, so that puts it at maybe 35-40 a week. Given that adult females will give birth to about 30 at a time in ideal conditions... once every 2 months. That puts you at maybe needing a birth rate of 120 per month, so really if you waited to feed until your first round o' babies was big enough to feed off then you would probably be ok with maybe 10 adult females to start, but then again... the more the merrier since circumstances are never ideal. After all... your dragon might have an appetite larger than mine. I have about 80 adult females... and seeing as my girl will not be eating much for a few months... I expect that number to climb dramatically.

nair88

Gray-bearded Member
Bballglass12":1d5ce5sw said:
How do you guys heat your colonies. I know people use heating pads but they dont make them anymore unless they are auto shut off.
you can still get the ones without auto-shutoff but not many places sell them anymore. i bought this one from amazoin and it works great - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FGDDI0/ref=oss_product

i believe that rite-aid and walgreens may sell models without auto-shutoff as well.

hammerhead

Juvie Member
I just bought a couple at CVS for $15 each that had no auto-shutoff, 3 temp settings (plus I used a 20% off coupon).

DoubleJ

Juvie Member
Gradually getting my bits and pieces for my roach colony. Just dumped the few roaches I have already in there, and they are really happy. It's only a handful as I bought them as immediate feeders rather than breeders. They seem really happy in there. Gonna buy me a load of adults and mixed sizes next.

Didnt think I would ever hold a roach except with thick gloves, but I held one the other day and it was no big stress. i actually pick them up now and love the feel of them on my hand, I also really like the scritching sound they make as they scurry around their home.

Does the above make me sound slightly insane?

Not sure about picking up fully grown ones - these ones are medium sized - but figure it cant be that different can it? :mrgreen:

nair88

Gray-bearded Member
DoubleJ":2xxyj448 said:
i actually pick them up now and love the feel of them on my hand, I also really like the scritching sound they make as they scurry around their home.
i know exactly what you mean. i love the feel of them running around on my hand - kind of soothing actually. and yeah, that scritching sound makes me happy. i almost feel bad knowing that they are eventually going to be food, lol.

DoubleJ":2xxyj448 said:
yes it does, but i think a bit of insanity is needed in life in order to be truly happy :-D

DoubleJ

Juvie Member
nair88":3u5xk3d0 said:
DoubleJ":3u5xk3d0 said:
yes it does, but i think a bit of insanity is needed in life in order to be truly happy :-D

I totally agree :) And on this forum I have many who share this special form of insanity.

anim15.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom