HELPP!! MBD or broken toe??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello I recently got my bearded dragon from someone that couldn’t care for him anymore, the longer I have him the more I think how neglected he was. I know he had the proper UVB and heat because I saw his setup and everything like that looked fine. However, I know he’s had a few homes so I’m not sure if a home before neglected uvb or not. But I have noticed that his toe bends slightly weird. And I was holding him today and got curious and his toe feels like it had no bone almost in it. You can bend it every way and he doesn’t seem bothered. I’ve been giving him calcium daily and a multi vitamin 2x a week along with a warm soak about 2x weekly and one of which i do an electrolyte soak. I am doing this because I could tell he was slightly dehydrated when I got him. I’m not sure if somewhere along the way his toe had broken or if it’s an early stage of MBD. He walks fine, doesn’t seem bothered by it and eats fine. He doesn’t really have any other symptoms of MBD I can tell of?? But I’ve never encountered this before . Anyone have any guesses?? (I did get a new uvb bulb already about a week ago just because I wasn’t sure how old the one he had was)

Srgeorge2177

Original Poster
I use a coil/bulb and use the zoo med reptisun 10.0 uvb.
112002-2630261667.jpg
I’m not sure if this is a good picture it’s the best I could get, it’s the longer toe. It also doesn’t really ever reach the ground it sticks up a little bit

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Coil bulb? Uvb? If it's the 13 watt please get rid of it ASAP--

Srgeorge2177

Original Poster
It’s 26 watt, I don’t know how to explain it it’s not a coil that was the wrong word here is a picture of it
112002-7214185032.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok the 26 watt is ok- it needs to be in a reflective dome w/ NO obstruction - No screen - directly above the basking decor 6-8 inches- when that bulb expires 6 months from install I would recommend you get a 24" fixture either a Zoo Med or sunblaster nano or a Arcadia pro T 5- and a reptisun 10.0 T 5 or Arcadia 12% bulbs- those are all really good uvb's -- I need some others to look at the toe

Srgeorge2177

Original Poster
112002-9354115859.jpg
112002-175957303.jpg
Okay, I have it in a dome now above his canopy he basks in roughly about 6” down. I’ve heard good things about the Arcadia uvb I will try this next time. I hope these pictures are better. It’s hard to see on camera. But right where the nail meets the toe it’s a little swollen also. Again he doesn’t seem bothered by it. He chases down his food fine and let’s me touch it

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok pics are better and the Arcadia is a good uvb- gonna get some help w/ the toe

Srgeorge2177

Original Poster
Thank you I appreciate it! I hope it’s nothing but I want to be safe than sorry because he’s already my bestie ?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Their toes are extremely flexible ad they're pretty fragile as well. They can break by getting snagged in hammocks or in other ways but it doesn't affect them much. With proper uvb he should be fine. :)

Srgeorge2177

Original Poster
I am wondering if he had broke it from his hammock because he is not graceful getting out of it… haha. I was going to pick up a non netted one next time I go to the pet store to hopefully prevent this from happening again (if that’s what this is)

Srgeorge2177

Original Poster
Yes I had planned on getting him a fleece one, the guy I got him from gave me the better one when i got him so that’s what I’ve been using until I find a new one!
Thanks everyone for the advice! I’ve kept reptiles but im new to bearded dragons!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

As suggested, switching your UVB should help out his bone integrity if he is having some
bone issues. That toe probably isn't broken, hopefully but those netted hammocks are a
common problem associated with injuries.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom