help with new beardies

Status
Not open for further replies.
hello all, i have rescued another two beardies from someone who didnt know what they were doing. one is about 17"-18" and a male and he doesnt move really, really really skinny and doesnt eat at all. and when he walks he is really shaky. i got him under a repti-run 10.0 right away same with the other one and got the bigger one to eat one mealworm. the little one is aboput 9"-10" and about the same but eats... he has a spot also were he got bit up by some crickets. i got some repti aid type stuff to make it heal. i was just wondering if the DO have MBD will they die for sure or can it be reverced. neither of them had uv whatso ever and are both in pretty sad shape. with some hard core babing you guys think i can get them back to health. they are both beautiful. one is almost white and the other a citrus im almost certain. thanks all

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
Oh I am glad you got them out of the bad situation they were in.Yes MBD can be treated although I do recommend you get them to a vet for calcium injection boost and some liquid calcium.Also are the housed together?Are you sure the wound is from a crickets and not something else.

BrandonDibble97487

Original Poster
housed seperate. its a tiny deep hole so im almost positive thats whats its from. i have looked up lots of pics tyo try and varify. i hope that actually getting them under some good UV will help.i took them to a local breeder today and he gave me the stuff for the wound. its something by zoo-med. about how much do you think it will cost to take them to the vet. ill do it regardless just wanting an estament

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
BrandonDibble97487":79a58 said:
housed seperate. its a tiny deep hole so im almost positive thats whats its from. i have looked up lots of pics tyo try and varify. i hope that actually getting them under some good UV will help.i took them to a local breeder today and he gave me the stuff for the wound. its something by zoo-med. about how much do you think it will cost to take them to the vet. ill do it regardless just wanting an estament
I am sorry I cant quote a vet price because they all vary based on location.I have heard prices range all over the map.I will tell you this I am on Long Island(NY) and generally it costs me about 70$ but I have heard people elsewhere quoste much lower as well as much higher prices.

Yes the uvb will definately help as well as the calcium dusting but its best to get liquid calcium after not having had uv for so long.Also as for the wound yes I know what your talking about but generally I use neosporin on wounds and I clean it out wit betadine (diluted)first.Whatever you do make sure to NEVER use peroxide.The reptisun is linear tube right?How close can they get to their uvb bulbs.

BrandonDibble97487

Original Poster
yea i totally understand on the vet thing. the reptisuns are florecent bulbs one 48" and one 24". i will look into the calcium shots at the vet. hopefully they arnt to expencive! they can probobly get up close to 3" of the light but not there basking light. i am really gonna work on getting some food in the big ones belly tomarrow. and getting him his uv all day. both are way to lazy and i really hope they get better, im gonna try my best. i just had to save my buddies beardie to. idk whats up with pet stores and not telling people that reptiles NEEEEED uvb to maintain a healthy life style. i took him in for about a week to get him the uvb and everything good and suppliments and sent him back with uv and the little guy is doing so good. some dumb store was selling beardies about 3 inches long. but as far as husbandry goes i mean my breeder has beardies that are in there twenties so i trust what he saise.

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
BrandonDibble97487":9686e said:
yea i totally understand on the vet thing. the reptisuns are florecent bulbs one 48" and one 24". i will look into the calcium shots at the vet. hopefully they arnt to expencive! they can probobly get up close to 3" of the light but not there basking light. i am really gonna work on getting some food in the big ones belly tomarrow. and getting him his uv all day. both are way to lazy and i really hope they get better, im gonna try my best. i just had to save my buddies beardie to. idk whats up with pet stores and not telling people that reptiles NEEEEED uvb to maintain a healthy life style. i took him in for about a week to get him the uvb and everything good and suppliments and sent him back with uv and the little guy is doing so good. some dumb store was selling beardies about 3 inches long. but as far as husbandry goes i mean my breeder has beardies that are in there twenties so i trust what he saise.
Ok thats great.One thing I do recommend is take it easy on the protien if they are malnurished.Instead I would work with babyfood veggie slurry and introduce protien slowly so not to send their body into shock.

BrandonDibble97487

Original Poster
ok thank you so much, im gonna call around tomarrow to see about there calcium shots.what else is good to do with beardies in bad shape to get them healthy again. i need all the help i can get with this one!

K9KidsLove

Sub-Adult Member
Hi...Good that you have given these guys a chance.
Great choice for UVB. Make sure it is 6"-8" from him.

You DO have them in separate tanks, right? What size are their tanks?

Do you have a temp gun or a digital thermometer with a probe at the end of a wire? The stick ons can be as much as 20 degrees off. You need the temps to be 100-110 on the basking end & 75-80 on the cool end. Make sure your white basking bulb is right beside the UVB on one end of the tank.

Get some babyfood chicken, squash, & green beans. Also get some ReptiAid from PetSmart. Mix the ReptiAid as directed and add it to a little chicken baby food and a double amount of one of the veggies. Start with one cc a couple times a day & keep adding more. My adults eat about 20 cc's daily. If they won't lick it off the syringe, push the syringe gently but firmly into the side of his mouth. Once it is in, don't remove it til he's eaten all he will. Push a small amount at a time so he won't choke. I make a buritto out of mine with a hand towel when I have to force feed.

Don't put sand or any loose substrate on the floor. For now newspaper or paper towels will be good so you can monitor poops.

Bathe them daily for 20 minutes in warm water up to their armpits. For my adults I use a rubbermaid tote tall enough so they can't jump out. I put a cloth on the bottom so they don't slip.

You also might want to take a fresh poop sample to a reptile vet for a fecal to see if they have parasites, coccidia, protozoa, bacteria, etc. Any of these can cause weight loss, as well as not having proper heat & light.
Keep us informed
Good luck
Patsy

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
Get some repta ais critical care formula and start giving them that to help balance their system out.Also when you do introduce protien consider ordering some pheonix worms.They are very high in calcium and are good to help boost that.I would be careful with items in their tank that they could fall from.Alot of people will use towels as a substrate to keep it soft should they fall.

Also bathing and bath therapy is good for hydration and to help loosen up their muscles.A nice soak for 20 minutes in warm water(95f) up to the armpit area is veyr good for them.

Sorry Patsy we posted at the same time

BrandonDibble97487

Original Poster
ok hear we go, i have 2 babies that are mine i got from a breeder, rocky and dojah are in a 30 gallon tank. puff, my first, is in a 6 foot long 2 foot wide and three foot high viv i made him. and the other two new ones rajha and drake are in a 100 gallon devided in two. know all about the lighting and temps. ill try the baby food that sounds like a great idea! were can i get seringes with plastic tips?

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
Most pharmacies carry plastic needless syringes.Alot of places carry them in the baby section.

BrandonDibble97487

Original Poster
ok so im gonna go to bi-mart tomarrow morning and get some seringes and some baby food and call around for vets in the area to see what i can do about getting them both the calcium shot for there bones. they just feel so frail and i know what a big beardie should weigh and look like because puff in HUGE for her age and real bulky and stocky. the little ones grow so fast also :D . i just hope its not to late from what i could tell from these ill informed people i saved them from they have had them awhile especially sence the lady said the were both around 4-5 inches when she got them and drake is around 17" long now or more i havent mesured him yet he is sleepin :D and the little one rajha is around 9-10 inches and they havent have uvb for that long! :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :angry5: :angry5: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: so i hope its not to late, is it a possibility? thats up to possibly almost a year for drake with no uvb at all and they said he just recently stoped eating.

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
BrandonDibble97487":3a1ac said:
ok so im gonna go to bi-mart tomarrow morning and get some seringes and some baby food and call around for vets in the area to see what i can do about getting them both the calcium shot for there bones. they just feel so frail and i know what a big beardie should weigh and look like because puff in HUGE for her age and real bulky and stocky. the little ones grow so fast also :D . i just hope its not to late from what i could tell from these ill informed people i saved them from they have had them awhile especially sence the lady said the were both around 4-5 inches when she got them and drake is around 17" long now or more i havent mesured him yet he is sleepin :D and the little one rajha is around 9-10 inches and they havent have uvb for that long! :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :angry5: :angry5: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: so i hope its not to late, is it a possibility? thats up to possibly almost a year for drake with no uvb at all and they said he just recently stoped eating.
Ok great thats your are getting all of those things today.You can also check herpvetconnection.com for a good herpvet.You dont really want a general vet as they are not always prepared to care for a sick reptile.Yes there is most definately a good cance for these 2 even if they have not had uvb for that long.I am glad you got to rescue them out of such a bad situation.

LJean

Extreme Poster
vickson420":52592 said:
Most pharmacies carry plastic needless syringes.Alot of places carry them in the baby section.

Some places will give them to you for free if you ask. ;) That is how I got mine. I just explained what it was for, rehabbing a reptile, and they gave me a few.

BrandonDibble97487

Original Poster
k i got drake to eat a bunch of the squash baby food. he is plumping up pretty quick and the other ones wound is getting better already she just feels really really week. drake is more active and isnt shaking as much. im supprised how fast he is getting better but idk about the little one yet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom