Help with new beardie stress?

Status
Not open for further replies.

littlefootfrog

Hi! I'm new to this forum. I'm a very new bearded dragon owner, I just got my first bearded dragon three days ago, and he arrived healthy and alert! But he seems a little stressed, and I just want to make sure this is normal and that he actually is healthy.

I haven't been able to get him to eat yet, I've offered him a little bit of salad and crickets but he wasn't interested. He watched the cricket move around for a little while, and I also tried leaving the room to give him some privacy but he didn't eat it, so I took it out after a while. He's also not drinking any water, he has access to a water dish but I've only been able to get him to lick a few drops off his nose that I put on with a little pipette. He looks like his lower eye bags are sagging, which I searched for information on, and it seems like it's probably dehydration. It seems to get worse at night and be fine in the morning, but it's a little worrying to look at.
I have dubia roaches and BSF larvae coming, and they should be here on monday. I also am going to get some superworms later today, so I'll try again with the different bugs to see if they interest him at all.

He's been spending the daytime chilling in usually one spot, and yesterday he moved around a little bit more which was good to see. However, when it starts getting darker at around 7/8pm, he seems to get a little irritated, and he was glass surfing and scratching and it seemed like he wanted to get out. He also pooped last night, but it seemed runnier than what it should have been and kind of scattered around, but I'm not sure if it came out like that or if he moved it around while glass surfing. After I cleaned it up he seemed to calm down a little bit but still glass surfed for a couple minutes. He came from a couple states away, so there's about a two hour time zone difference and I'm thinking maybe he needs to adjust a little since his lights are turning off a couple hours later than what he's used to? My plan is to gradually start pushing them back over maybe two weeks or so to help him acclimate. Today he's napping on his log where he slept last night.

He's a 6 or 7 month old male, and I have him in a 40 gallon breeder tank with heat lamps and a 12" UVB fixture that I'm going to upgrade to a 24" one once it comes in the mail in a couple days, which shouldn't be more than a week. I can add any photos if needed. I know that new bearded dragons take a little while to adjust to their new environment, but the not drinking and runny poop and glass surfing are worrying me a little bit. Are these all normal signs of stress and should they go away after he adjusts? Is there anything I can to do make him more comfortable? I know it's only been like two days but I want to make sure he's okay. Thank you for any advice!!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
He needs to adjust to his surroundings and his tank --- so his eating will be off - stress will go away eventually but first we must go over the lighting- what are you using in the 12" fixture I am assuming its a T 8 --- it needs to be inside the tank w/ a distance of 6-8 inches directly above the basking decor and NO clear plastic cover over the bulb --- the bulb I recommend is one of the best on the market a Reptisun 10.0 -- since you ordered a 24" fixture is that for a T 8 or a T 5?? Basking temps should be 95-110 for a juvie / adult dragon and temps need to be taken w/ a digital probe thermometer NO stick ons they are inaccurate --- give him some time to settle in and have your lighting correct and he will start eating alot more -- they dont drink alot -- watch his poops if the urate is dry and chalky looking hes dehydrated - if they are formed moist and white hes good -- the best way to get moisture into them is rinse the salads your feeding before serving he will get a lot of moisture thru them and gut loaded insects as well more so w/ the salads -- you can offer water by dropping on his nose see if he will drink that way --

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chad03109
Top Bottom