Help with Laying of Infertile Eggs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashesc212

Sub-Adult Member
Hi, first, is this an egg:
19771_324844684840_503769840_3273268_1321765_s.jpg

My beardie dropped two of these in her tank but hasn't shown any typical signs of being about to lay. She is not scratching or anything.

Anyway, I want to make sure I am doing this right. I grabbed a 18 gal rubbermaid container and filled the bottom with potting soil. Then I put 25 pounds of reptile sand on top and moistened it. Now I have her in there with half of the cover on. She seems confused though and doesn't know what to do in there. Please help.

Fallencomrade2008

Juvie Member
You could try makeing it darker in there, most beardies wont lay if they feel like they are being watched. If she isn't scratching maybe she's no quite ready to drop them all.

EclpsPrinc

Juvie Member
Have you warmed the lay substrate? If not,try heating it to about 80-85 degrees using a clamp light. Also, if you start a tunnel for her, it may encourage her to continue. Some dragons will lay eggs almost immediately; others may play around and dig for 2-3 days before finally laying. Good luck!

ashesc212

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
EclpsPrinc":d574e said:
Have you warmed the lay substrate? Try heating it to about 80-85 degrees using a clamp light. Also, if you start a tunnel for her, it may encourage her to continue. Some dragons will lay eggs almost immediately; others may play around and dig for 2-3 days before finally laying. Good luck!

Hi, I did warm the substrate but she is not digging at all. I didn't know that they actually burrow out a tunnel so I will try that next! She is also going to see the vet today at 10 EST because I am worried that she may be egg bound.

EclpsPrinc

Juvie Member
Well, it's more like a small tunnel almost the length of their body. It's good you're taking her to the vet. They'll be able to xray her and see if she has more eggs inside of her. Hope all goes well :)

TheWolfmanTom

Extreme Poster
Good luck,
I have 1 female that will dig for almost a week before she lays.
I soak her so much that week she thinks she is an anphibian.

ashesc212

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Well, the vet said she is not egg bound and gave her some oxytocin. It seems to be working because she just laid 3 eggs. She will only do it in the warm water bath though and not in the laybox. Hopefully she will keep them coming until they are all out of her system. I hate seeing her suffer.

spurlee01

BD.org Addict
My girl wouldn't lay in her laybox, so I've moved the sand to her tank. There is some digging, still waiting on results, but it's an idea. Also, I'm soaking her in half water, half pedialyte every day to keep her hydrated.

Twobeardieguy

BD.org Sicko
No she should have them out by now. Hopefully the shot is not starting to inter fear with this! The vet may have given it to early! The black beard is signs of agitation. Just let her be for a while and try not to disturb her. Does it look like she is struggling at all?

ashesc212

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Well, when the vet spoke to me he said that he really only felt a few in her uterus and thought the rest were probably absorbed by the ovaries. So, maybe her only having laid 7 is ok? She seems perfectly normal again.

Twobeardieguy

BD.org Sicko
The problem is you really cant feel all of the eggs because there is a layer of fat in there so as Sara said an x-ray would be best to confirm. Also did you try to put her in a lay box again?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom