Help with Feeding Hatchlings...1st timer HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SlickVcik

Hey guys this is my fisrt post and my first time having beardie babies, only 10 eggs survived, one little guy is out and 2 are half out, I've read that once the hatchlings are out to leave them in incubator until they eat thier sac?? im a bit confused, can someone shed some light on this, i have moved my little guy into a 20 gal setup and threw in about 3 pin head crickets and he hasnt taken any interest, even tried to feed him with some tongs and he didnt take a bite.....thanks for reading

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
Hi
Yes they need to eat their egg sack.It shouldnt be removed and he wont eat crix yet because that is his nourishment for the first day or so.You didnt remove it did you?

john_ny217

Juvie Member
he most likely wont show interest in food for 24-48 hours after being in tank. yes he has to eat his yok sac before he can be removed from incubator, and it is vital that this happens before you take him out so i really hope you didnt remove it for him or do anything with it.

just give it time and he will be eating you out of house and home, believe me.

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
he said he moved him into a 20 so he is out of the incubator but didnt mention if he removed the sac or not...

SlickVcik

Original Poster
by egg sack do u mean the whole egg it self? i left him there about 3 hrs after he hatched cus i read it online but then i took him out and threw the egg shell away, it had a little gooey stuff left, did i do wrong and is there a chance he wont eat or live? thanks for your help

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
The yolk part... nothing you can do about this now but just try and get him eating tomorrow.Still may be fine just for future hatchlings dont remove them until the entire egg sac has been absorbed as that is truly what they feed on for the first couple days.

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
Well make sure your not only offering crix but veggies and pellets as well for variety.Keep to a strict feeding schedule and just make sure they stay well hydrated and be sure to try to keep the basking temp at 105-110.If the setup is good then he should really start eating on his own.If he doesnt you may have to try to hand feed or slurry feed but I wouldnt force it yet.

SlickVcik

Original Poster
Omg....one of my beardies came out of the egg but has (i guess what is an embelycal cord) sticking out of his lower stomach, he is very weak but still is alive, Im freakn out, please what do I do or is he not gonna make it???? :cry:

sunkist

Sub-Adult Member
I didn't see where anyone posted this... the egg sak is like the placenta stuff that the baby was in. It is not the hardshell egg. It should still be some what attached so that is probably what you are seeing attached to his belly. Just leave it be. :)

SlickVcik

Original Poster
So should I leave him in the incubator, there was nothing in his egg shell, so I took it out but when I picked him up I saw the little (forgive me but looks like a penis shaped tube sticking out) he isnt really moving much...?

sunkist

Sub-Adult Member
Sadly I've never had babies so I really can't answer. Is it where his slit is on his belly? You have the slit and then you have vent at the tail.

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
SlickVcik":9199b said:
So should I leave him in the incubator, there was nothing in his egg shell, so I took it out but when I picked him up I saw the little (forgive me but looks like a penis shaped tube sticking out) he isnt really moving much...?
Thats the sak leave it be and leave him in the incubator to absorb it for at least 24 hours.Honestly I would not even handle anything for the first 24 hours just let them adjust.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bearded dragon
Top Bottom