Help with a new rescue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geoffreysmom

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Stevie Nicks
Hello! I'm totally new to bearded dragons but am experienced with amphibian care. I'm a teacher and a student brought a new class pet for my buddy's classroom...it's a very long story but this poor animal has been badly neglected. She was absolutely skin and bones when we got her Friday though she is a full grown adult. We spent yesterday building her a tank setup and getting her settled in but I am concerned about how much food we should be offering. The first day she wasn't able to eat because she spent all her time drinking and soaking up light (she was found in a dark basement without water or appropriate food - someone had been tossing her bits of bacon). Yesterday she was absolutely ravenous and I lost count after like 5 large dubias and 10 supers. I don't want to make her sick by overfeeding. Is that even possible with a lizard? How much/how often would y'all recommend feeding? She's got a bowl full of kale but she just wants those sweet sweet dusted bugs. Any advice is appreciated!!

Also important to note: we live in absolute BFE with the nearest exotic vet several hundred miles away. We are teachers so we can't afford the most elaborate solutions, but we will do everything in our power to help this lovely creature. (We have named her Stevie Nicks since that is her vibe.)

mango_the_beardie

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Mango
Hello! I'm totally new to bearded dragons but am experienced with amphibian care. I'm a teacher and a student brought a new class pet for my buddy's classroom...it's a very long story but this poor animal has been badly neglected. She was absolutely skin and bones when we got her Friday though she is a full grown adult. We spent yesterday building her a tank setup and getting her settled in but I am concerned about how much food we should be offering. The first day she wasn't able to eat because she spent all her time drinking and soaking up light (she was found in a dark basement without water or appropriate food - someone had been tossing her bits of bacon). Yesterday she was absolutely ravenous and I lost count after like 5 large dubias and 10 supers. I don't want to make her sick by overfeeding. Is that even possible with a lizard? How much/how often would y'all recommend feeding? She's got a bowl full of kale but she just wants those sweet sweet dusted bugs. Any advice is appreciated!!

Also important to note: we live in absolute BFE with the nearest exotic vet several hundred miles away. We are teachers so we can't afford the most elaborate solutions, but we will do everything in our power to help this lovely creature. (We have named her Stevie Nicks since that is her vibe.)
Awww thats so cute! so i have two feeding schedule options
option #1
Sunday: 8 large crickets in the morning 5 dubia in afternoon and two to three waxworms in the evening as a treat
Monday: 8 large crickets in the morning 5 superworms in afternoon and 2 dubia or waxworms in the evening
Tuesday:8 large crickets in the morning 5 dubia in afternoon and two to three waxworms in the evening as a treat
Wednesday:8 large crickets in the morning 5 superworms in afternoon and 2 dubia or waxworms in the evening
Thursday:8 large crickets in the morning 5 dubia in afternoon and two to three waxworms in the evening as a treat
Friday: 8 large crickets in the morning 5 superworms in afternoon and 2 dubia or waxworms in the evening
Saturday:8 large crickets in the morning 5 dubia in afternoon and two to three waxworms in the evening as a treat

mango_the_beardie

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Mango

option #2
Sunday: 5 large crickets in the morning 8 dubia in the afternoon and 2 superworms in the evening
Monday: 5 large crickets in the morning 8 superworms in the afternoon and 2 dubia in the evening
Tuesday: 5 large crickets in the morning 8 dubia in the afternoon and 2 superworms in the evening
Wednesday:5 large crickets in the morning 8 superworms in the afternoon and 2 dubia in the evening
Thursday:5 large crickets in the morning 8 dubia in the afternoon and 2 superworms in the evening
Friday:5 large crickets in the morning 8 superworms in the afternoon and 2 dubia in the evening
Saturday:5 large crickets in the morning 8 dubia in the afternoon and 2 superworms in the evening

mango_the_beardie

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Mango

and i would do this until she looks average size and when she does start gradually getting her to about 8 dubia and two salads a day but make sure you always offer salad in her tank even with the bugs giving her bugs can not only help her to get thicker and heavier but also give her strength so yes your not supposed to give adult beardies to many bugs but when you have an adult underweight like this it can be super tricky getting them back to normal size with only giving them a few bugs a day and in her salad ill let you choose ^^
base for salad (pick 1-2)
collard greens, parsley, dandelion leaves, bok choy
occasional (pick 2-4 for every other day)
Carrots, cucumber, banana, strawberry, pumpkin squash, blueberry

mango_the_beardie

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Mango
a

also can i see a picture of the baby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom