help! which basking bulb should i use??

HyperLollipop

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Herman
help! my beardie's basking bulb refuses to turn on this morning and because we just replaced it a few weeks ago i don't have any other one on hand. We had a 50w halogen bulb lying around so that's what we're using now but the temp isn't going over 79F. The bulb we had was a petsmart brand because that's what we had when the last one needed to be replaced. The previous bulb was 100w. Now I'm thinking of getting a ZooMed bulb but I'm unsure if I should get the 75w like i found reccommended on many websites, or if I should get the 100w because that's what he had previously. Please advise! I have to leave so he's staying with the halogen bulb for a few hours, but I am considering leaving on his CHE for some extra heat. Please advise! I don't know what to do.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
help! my beardie's basking bulb refuses to turn on this morning and because we just replaced it a few weeks ago i don't have any other one on hand. We had a 50w halogen bulb lying around so that's what we're using now but the temp isn't going over 79F. The bulb we had was a petsmart brand because that's what we had when the last one needed to be replaced. The previous bulb was 100w. Now I'm thinking of getting a ZooMed bulb but I'm unsure if I should get the 75w like i found reccommended on many websites, or if I should get the 100w because that's what he had previously. Please advise! I have to leave so he's staying with the halogen bulb for a few hours, but I am considering leaving on his CHE for some extra heat. Please advise! I don't know what to do.
Are you getting surface basking temps w/ a digital probe thermometer? If not please get two of them -- how old is the dragon? for a adult you want 95-100 taken w/ the digital probe - basking bulbs are trial and error for temps - you can get a Zoo Med Intense or a Flukers basking bulb if the store carries them - Repti basking bulb are okay or Arcadia Halogen are good

Axil

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Beebz
I think you're likely going to need to replace the 100w with another 100w to get similar temps. What kind of bulb did you have in there before?

How much does your CHE normally heat the enclosure above ambient in your house, and what is its wattage? If your leaving for hours you need to be sure the enclosure doesn't overheat while your gone. I would let it stay at 79f unless I had at least 30 minutes to monitor the temps before I left it.

You can skip feeding before you go so he won't have digestion issues before you fix temps.

HyperLollipop

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Herman
Are you getting surface basking temps w/ a digital probe thermometer? If not please get two of them -- how old is the dragon? for a adult you want 95-100 taken w/ the digital probe - basking bulbs are trial and error for temps - you can get a Zoo Med Intense or a Flukers basking bulb if the store carries them - Repti basking bulb are okay or Arcadia Halogen are good
The dragon is around 7 months old, the usual temps are around 95F but can get up to 100 in the afternoons. I am thinking of getting the ZooMed one but I am unsure of the wattage.
I think you're likely going to need to replace the 100w with another 100w to get similar temps. What kind of bulb did you have in there before?

How much does your CHE normally heat the enclosure above ambient in your house, and what is its wattage? If your leaving for hours you need to be sure the enclosure doesn't overheat while your gone. I would let it stay at 79f unless I had at least 30 minutes to monitor the temps before I left it.

You can skip feeding before you go so he won't have digestion issues before you fix temps.
I had spoken to my brother who is home and he said the temp is around 73F now so I had him turn on the CHE. However before I saw this post I also told him to feed Herman 😫 Hopefully he doesn’t have any digestion issues…

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
The dragon is around 7 months old, the usual temps are around 95F but can get up to 100 in the afternoons. I am thinking of getting the ZooMed one but I am unsure of the wattage.

I had spoken to my brother who is home and he said the temp is around 73F now so I had him turn on the CHE. However before I saw this post I also told him to feed Herman 😫 Hopefully he doesn’t have any digestion issues…
So get a 100 watt and a 150 watt make sure you watch the surface basking temps-- digital probe thermometer- 95-100

Axil

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Beebz

I don't think 1 day is going to cause any serious issues there are cool cloudy days in Australia every once in a while too. Just get it fixed as soon as your able.

Since you have your brother to monitor it it's good you have the che on. Did you move it from wherever it normally is to over the basking area? That will concentrate heat where you want it. Just have your brother take a look at the temps every couple hours to make sure it's not getting too hot.

Karrierae gave you good advice on the bulb/wattage. Just make sure your fixture is rated for whatever wattage you get. Some fixtures are only rated to take 100w

HyperLollipop

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Herman
I don't think 1 day is going to cause any serious issues there are cool cloudy days in Australia every once in a while too. Just get it fixed as soon as your able.

Since you have your brother to monitor it it's good you have the che on. Did you move it from wherever it normally is to over the basking area? That will concentrate heat where you want it. Just have your brother take a look at the temps every couple hours to make sure it's not getting too hot.

Karrierae gave you good advice on the bulb/wattage. Just make sure your fixture is rated for whatever wattage you get. Some fixtures are only rated to take 100w
Thank you! You put my mind at ease for the time being. The CHE is over the basking area. and I'll be sure to call every couple of hours to check the temps.

So I think in the end I'm going to get a 100w bulb because I think 150 may make it too hot, and if the 100w makes the basking area too hot then I will either try to raise the bulb or purchase 75w bulb. Right now his basking spot is around 6 inches away from the basking bulb but I could be wrong because I'm not home to look at it.

Also is there a cheap digital probe thermometer I can get? We have a digital one now but it's not a probe, and what with buying the bulb now I don't know how much I can spend right now...

Axil

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Beebz
Thank you! You put my mind at ease for the time being. The CHE is over the basking area. and I'll be sure to call every couple of hours to check the temps.

So I think in the end I'm going to get a 100w bulb because I think 150 may make it too hot, and if the 100w makes the basking area too hot then I will either try to raise the bulb or purchase 75w bulb. Right now his basking spot is around 6 inches away from the basking bulb but I could be wrong because I'm not home to look at it.

Also is there a cheap digital probe thermometer I can get? We have a digital one now but it's not a probe, and what with buying the bulb now I don't know how much I can spend right now...
Zoomed makes one. They are often available at pet stores. Anywhere you get the basking bulb will probably sell them. Flukers is another well respected brand.

You really ought to have 2, one to check your cool end as well. I also like having two because it let's you put them next to each other to test them and make sure one isn't defective before you trust them.

I use Repti-zoo because i like the way it stands up on my screen so i can read it from across the room. If you get that one be careful you set it to read the inside temps as it can also take ambient temps from the display section.

You definitely want to get one soon as whatever your using now is going to be taking air temps which can differ significantly from the basking surface.

HyperLollipop

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Herman
Zoomed makes one. They are often available at pet stores. Anywhere you get the basking bulb will probably sell them. Flukers is another well respected brand.

You really ought to have 2, one to check your cool end as well. I also like having two because it let's you put them next to each other to test them and make sure one isn't defective before you trust them.

I use Repti-zoo because i like the way it stands up on my screen so i can read it from across the room. If you get that one be careful you set it to read the inside temps as it can also take ambient temps from the display section.

You definitely want to get one soon as whatever your using now is going to be taking air temps which can differ significantly from the basking surface.
Alright thank you so much, I think after the holiday I’ll get one. Do you think it can wait a week and a half?

Also up to how much difference would there be between the air temp and the surface temp? Would the basking spot be hotter or cooler? Because maybe then I should really get the 75w…

Axil

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Beebz
Alright thank you so much, I think after the holiday I’ll get one. Do you think it can wait a week and a half?

Also up to how much difference would there be between the air temp and the surface temp? Would the basking spot be hotter or cooler? Because maybe then I should really get the 75w…
It's going to depend on the basking material and color how much heat it absorbs. I don't really know what would be a typical difference or how wide a range.

If it were me I'd want to to get the probe as soon as possible, but I don't know your situation. The Zoomed one I linked before is just over $10 from Amazon, maybe just order the one for now if money is tight? I'd also check the price at the pet store when you get your basking light. It might be cheaper there.

HyperLollipop

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Herman
It's going to depend on the basking material and color how much heat it absorbs. I don't really know what would be a typical difference or how wide a range.

If it were me I'd want to to get the probe as soon as possible, but I don't know your situation. The Zoomed one I linked before is just over $10 from Amazon, maybe just order the one for now if money is tight? I'd also check the price at the pet store when you get your basking light. It might be cheaper there.
It's gonna have to wait until after the holiday regardless as it starts tomorrow night. Wish I'd taken care of this sooner. But I'm honestly not too worried about the temps as he is eating and pooping as he should be. However I did order the bulb from the pet store and it should be arriving around noon today. I ended up going with the 75 watt and we'll see how it goes.

Also the link you sent earlier is for a 2-pack, correct?

Last edited:

Axil

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Beebz
It's gonna have to wait until after the holiday regardless as it starts tomorrow night. Wish I'd taken care of this sooner. But I'm honestly not too worried about the temps as he is eating and pooping as he should be. However I did order the bulb from the pet store and it should be arriving around noon today. I ended up going with the 75 watt and we'll see how it goes.

Also the link you sent earlier is for a 2-pack, correct?
I believe the links are for singles

HyperLollipop

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Herman
I believe the links are for singles
It says in the product description that it's a 2-pack but the review said that it only came with one, so I just wanted to make sure. Amazon.com

1680621924133.jpg

So I'm not sure... I can for sure spend $10 for 2 even though I won't be able to have it set up until next week Friday, but 20 may have to wait to be ordered.

HyperLollipop

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Herman
Ahh! I just realized that it's only a thermometer, I would probably prefer to get one that is a hydrometer AND a thermometer together... Unless I just keep one of my current thermometers to keep in middle of the tank to measure the ambient temp and humidity.

Axil

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Beebz
It says in the product description that it's a 2-pack but the review said that it only came with one, so I just wanted to make sure. Amazon.com

View attachment 79355
So I'm not sure... I can for sure spend $10 for 2 even though I won't be able to have it set up until next week Friday, but 20 may have to wait to be ordered.
Yeah I didn't notice it does say two in the places you indicated. I would not be surprised if they only send one since it doesn't mention two in the title of the listing.

Your existing hygrometer should be fine. If you already have two you can probably just use one of them on the coolside as well. I doubt surface and air temps will differ much when the surface is far away from the light. You'll be able to check by using the one probe next to your existing thermometer and see what the variance is.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vaota88
Top Bottom