help very sick frilled dragon

Status
Not open for further replies.

ez2bbad64

Juvie Member
sorry to post here but there are so many very knowlagable people here i am sure someone can help me with my poor little frilled dragon. i normally post on a frilled dragon site but it is having issues and i cant post and i need help now, roxie has been doing so darn well then very suddenly she got sick and of course my vet is out of town and i was forced to take her to a vet i do not know. she has been wheezing. coughing alot of clear slimey fluid and it drips from her nose. she has quit eating. she last ate was friday am then coughed up alot of the clear slimey stuff a few minutes later and appeared to have issues breathing that was the very first i noticed she was sick. i got her to a vet that i have never seen before as mine is out of town that afternoon who says she has a respitory infection and gave us smz and said to give her .07 C roxie is 150 grams.) once a day for 14 days. she threw up everything she ate a few hours after being dosed. she threw up again yesterday and today i think the meds make her sick and she does not appear to be getting better so far. if i handle her it causes her to spew alot of the slimey clear stuff from her mouth. the vet i took her to says she got this from the humidity being to low. it runs about 20% in between mistings that i do twice a day and she has her own waterfall. the vet also said i am running the temps too high at 110 basking and 87 cool end (rox hardley ever goes to the cool end she likes it on the hot side.) and to lower the temps to 100 basking and 70's cool end. i havent done that as i dont think that info is correct and feel she can use all the heat she can get to beat whatever is wrong.please help with any ideas on how i can help roxie

beardie parents

BD.org Sicko
Unfortunately, I know nothing about frilled dragons, except they are cute and based on the two I saw in a reptile store yesterday evening, they can get larger than beardies. If no one knows on here, or Tracie doesn't see it, I suggest to pm her, she may be able to help you.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is your frilled doing?
I do agree that the basking temperatures are a little too high. They are recommended at 95-100 & no higher than 105, with the cooler end around 78-82. The humidity should be roughly 60-70% maintained constantly.
Her immune system is suppressed due to improper humidity levels. So, it has left her vulnerable to getting an infection. Since she is vomiting so much she is most likely becoming dehydrated badly. What type of watering system do you have for her or water dish, etc? Where is the waterfall located? What do you use to measure the humidity?
Are you using a UVB light? If so, what type & brand of UVB are you using, a fluorescent tube bulb or a compact/coil light? How close is it to her & how old is it?
Do you supplement with calcium on a regular basis?
What is the strength of the sulfa medication?
If she is not eating right now you will need to begin assist feeding her with a slurry comprised of chicken, turkey or beef baby food to help her out.

Let us know how she is doing.

Tracie

ez2bbad64

Juvie Member
Original Poster
hi to answer your questions the humidity gauge is on a acutemp digital thermometor. it is located in the other end of the tank then her water bowl. her water bowl is a med size waterfall( she cannot have a normal bowl due to a tendancy to drown in it. she did that once and i did CPR and got her back)she gets liquid calcium everyday and multi vitamins on the weekends her uv is a megaray. the light has been burned out for about two weeks until it failed i had just gotten it in december for some reason it quit working and my son threw it away before i could send it back for warrenty. i ordered a brand new megaray that should have been here today i am sure i will see it tommorow. i have been doing the best i can with the humidity i got the waterfall and have been misting atleast twice a day. my vet is back and i took her in to see her. good thing is she doesent sound bad deep down in her lungs.vet said give her chicken baby food.she also said to up the humidity i could get a plastic sheet like plexi glass and drill some holes for airflow and cover part of the top of the cage with it.and she gave me a new medicine since the other makes her vomit ( she vomits almost exactly an hour after taking the meds like clock work.)she was getting .07 smz she is now on baytril but we have to give it by injection in her back leg. she pooped a very slimey poop so my vet did a fecal and under the scope found something that in all her years treating reptiles and such she has never seen before she is going to do some research and try to figure out what it is it is shaped kinda like a egg with another egg shape within it some of them appear to have like sprout like things coming out kinda like when a plant first emerges from a egg. anyone have any ideas what this is? she gave us panacur to give her for now.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Yes, I do remember your frilled. Geez, poor girl. So, the vet changed her to Baytril then? Some have real trouble with sulfa based drugs for some reason. How much Baytril is she on?
The waterfall is fine, as I totally agree with not putting a water dish in. I forgot. We just need to find a way to get the humidity up more that is most likely one of the problems. They do need a higher humidity than bearded dragons do.
Is she liking the baby food feedings then? Is her weight stabilized?
Has the calcium helped her out?
No, I have never heard of that type of egg shaped thing in a fecal. It could be anything from an odd parasite to an amoeba type of substance. Let me know what they find after researching. I will look around & see if I can figure anything out as well.
How much panacur did she prescribe, & is it a weekly treatment?

Tracie

ez2bbad64

Juvie Member
Original Poster
roxie has been such a little fighter she has such bad luck seems everything bad happens to her. she gets .06 baytril after today she has 6 more injections. i really hate injecting her she fights so darn bad i am worried i am going to hurt her when she does that.and .1 panacur 3days then again in 3 weeks.for her weight she was 80 grams on dec 3rd. she peaked at 150 and droped to 147 since she got sick. she will not take baby food she HATES it does everything in her power not to swollow it but i have found she will eat if i place in her mouth small/med molted roaches. she had one yesterday and a med one today thats all she would take but it something. since starting the batril and no longer taking the smz she has not thrown up so i know it was the smz making her vomit. the calcium has helped tremendusly she used to have such a shake when she moved thats all gone. and her new megaray came today. do you think one of those electric habitat misters or a fogger would help for the humidity? i have been misting twice a day or more if i am around i am so busy lately its hard to do it more then that and the humidity drops so darn fast its hard to maintain. i have thought of that mossy stuff they sell at pet stores to hold moisture but thats not an option right now with the parisite thing. the vet wants another sample from her so we are waiting for her to give us one right now she is passing alot of mucus(sp?) and i cant get a good clean sample as she manages to smear it on the tile pretty bad

Buggsy

Gray-bearded Member
Sounds like candida, when they transform from yeast to fungal hyphen they look like eggs with sprouts coming from them. Its called germ tube formation if she wants to look and compair.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smallfry_Zoey
Top Bottom