Help! Turbo vomited 3 times this morning

AYandfamily

Beardie name(s)
Jenny, Turbo
Hello,
Turbo (3.5 yrs old girl) had been vomiting 3-4 times this week. Maybe once every other day at first. But she did it 3 times this morning. It's a pattern which she does every morning, when she makes clicking sounds. There's a link to the video below. Today I recognized it as she is clearing her throat, as I finally got a video of her doing so. I wonder if she has URI? I had a beardie that had it before and it was trying to clear flem by vomiting. Turbo's seemed just to be saliva but I want it treated before it gets worse.

Prior to this, my previous UVB and UVA bulbs had been out of service for about a week, but I do have a ceramic heater and temps are about 25-30c which I think is OK for my bearded dragon. Humidity is 20-30%. Water was removed for a few days just in case. I gave her some honey water yesterday and the day before, but I think it just made it worse so I am stopping today.

Currently temps are back to normal, which is 30-40c, however it seems that my bearded dragon got a respiratory infection as it has the following symptoms:
1. Clicking sounds for a week Here's a video of her making the sound today
2. Vomited 3-4 this week Here's a video of vomiting today
3. Not eating her favorite pellets, but open to worms
4. However there had been no puss in the vomit and no bubbles / discharge through the nose.

She ate some paper towel about 1 month ago but she had pooped a few times since. Her normal pattern is once a week. She also pooped twice this week, so I think that she's not impacted.

I am trying to find some antibiotics in Canada but seems only vets can give it. I do have an appointment with vet coming but I am also hoping that I don't have to pay for blood test as I cannot afford that right now.

Thank you.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hello,
Turbo (3.5 yrs old girl) had been vomiting 3-4 times this week. Maybe once every other day at first. But she did it 3 times this morning. It's a pattern which she does every morning, when she makes clicking sounds. There's a link to the video below. Today I recognized it as she is clearing her throat, as I finally got a video of her doing so. I wonder if she has URI? I had a beardie that had it before and it was trying to clear flem by vomiting. Turbo's seemed just to be saliva but I want it treated before it gets worse.

Prior to this, my previous UVB and UVA bulbs had been out of service for about a week, but I do have a ceramic heater and temps are about 25-30c which I think is OK for my bearded dragon. Humidity is 20-30%. Water was removed for a few days just in case. I gave her some honey water yesterday and the day before, but I think it just made it worse so I am stopping today.

Currently temps are back to normal, which is 30-40c, however it seems that my bearded dragon got a respiratory infection as it has the following symptoms:
1. Clicking sounds for a week Here's a video of her making the sound today
2. Vomited 3-4 this week Here's a video of vomiting today
3. Not eating her favorite pellets, but open to worms
4. However there had been no puss in the vomit and no bubbles / discharge through the nose.

She ate some paper towel about 1 month ago but she had pooped a few times since. Her normal pattern is once a week. She also pooped twice this week, so I think that she's not impacted.

I am trying to find some antibiotics in Canada but seems only vets can give it. I do have an appointment with vet coming but I am also hoping that I don't have to pay for blood test as I cannot afford that right now.

Thank you.
Ok shes sporting a black beard so something is going on -- blood work will tell them if its an infection - I am gonna have AHBD take a look and see what she thinks and can maybe help out w/ what to do -
@AHBD

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I agree that she needs a vet. Do everything you can to find one that deals with reptiles. Vomiting 1 time can happen but if it's been a few days then there's something more serious. What was her diet prior to this ?

AYandfamily

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Jenny, Turbo
I agree that she needs a vet. Do everything you can to find one that deals with reptiles. Vomiting 1 time can happen but if it's been a few days then there's something more serious. What was her diet prior to this ?
She loves meal worms, but I don't give her too many, maybe 5 a time. And only a few times a week. Normally she eats the red pellets from Fluker's. She used to love the pallets and eats as many as she pleases. This was perhaps a month ago that I had given her a worms as part of her diet. I breed my own and it takes time for the worms to grow. However since I had given her worms she would no longer eat the pellets now and wait for the worms. Very picky eater. These are very small meal worms, probably 1 mm in diameter, 2cm in length. I gave her 2 worms today as that's all I have left, and she was very eager to eat them. We try to give her veggies but she's usually not a big fan.

If she can poop, does it mean she's not impacted? I have no clue why she wants to vomit. Do you think she has parasites? Could it be the way I breed the worms? I just keep the bugs in a box and I don't clean the box ever.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
She loves meal worms, but I don't give her too many, maybe 5 a time. And only a few times a week. Normally she eats the red pellets from Fluker's. She used to love the pallets and eats as many as she pleases. This was perhaps a month ago that I had given her a worms as part of her diet. I breed my own and it takes time for the worms to grow. However since I had given her worms she would no longer eat the pellets now and wait for the worms. Very picky eater. These are very small meal worms, probably 1 mm in diameter, 2cm in length. I gave her 2 worms today as that's all I have left, and she was very eager to eat them. We try to give her veggies but she's usually not a big fan.

If she can poop, does it mean she's not impacted? I have no clue why she wants to vomit. Do you think she has parasites? Could it be the way I breed the worms? I just keep the bugs in a box and I don't clean the box ever.
Please stop the meal worms and start feeding fresh salads -- Nutrition Content
Ignore the kale info its outdated and a good staple feeder-- also please get a staple feeder like dubia roaches - crickets BSFL or silk worms -- I would use the BSFL as lures to the salad bowl order a small amount for now and feed no more meal worms -- you basically have been feeding her candy- if you need websites for the insects/ worms please ask

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Mealworms are addicting, like a child wanting candy + ice cream. Try to get some bsfl, crickets or dubia. Turbo does look thin so she really needs some good protein and veggies.

AYandfamily

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Jenny, Turbo
Sorry I can not explain better, the tummy is swollen on the right side, ultrasound shows there is water in the ovaries, which is not normal, and there are eggs that didn't want to come out. Eggs can be absorbed back by the body. The vet prescribed Batril for 21 days.

The other possibility is a problem with the GI tract, but that requires stool sample.

Thank you all for your help, I will update when possible.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Sorry I can not explain better, the tummy is swollen on the right side, ultrasound shows there is water in the ovaries, which is not normal, and there are eggs that didn't want to come out. Eggs can be absorbed back by the body. The vet prescribed Batril for 21 days.

The other possibility is a problem with the GI tract, but that requires stool sample.

Thank you all for your help, I will update when possible.
No enemas!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
That's good that you got Turbo in, I know it's not easy to afford the specialized vet care which is so expensive now. It's true that follicles MIGHT be reabsorbed but it doesn't always happen. Sometimes beardies become eggbound, the eggs are stuck and the dragon suffers and can die if they aren't laid. I hope what the vet chose as treatment will help, only time will tell. Best wishes that Turbo will get better !
Oh, and forget about the red pellets, keep trying good veggies and insects. Kale, collard ,mustard + turnip greens , escarole, dandelion,arugula, [ rocket ] are just some.

AYandfamily

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Jenny, Turbo
Thanks for the advise, will be switching over to fresh vegs.

What bothers me the most is after the 21 days if the eggs are not reabsorbed or laid, the vet will give her a surgery to remove the ovaries. That would be a horrible outcome...

AYandfamily

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Jenny, Turbo
I will try and ask for the vet for the pictures of the ultra sound, we did not do the x-ray, as the same meds would be prescribed for URI. She had made some sounds this morning, but not yet vomited. Probably takes some time for the antibiotics to work.

How should my environment be setup for her to lay eggs? Currently I do not have any substrates, I only put kitchen paper. She likes to dig even if there's nothing there.

Last edited:

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I will try and ask for the vet for the pictures of the ultra sound, we did not do the x-ray, as the same meds would be prescribed for URI. She had made some sounds this morning, but not yet vomited. Probably takes some time for the antibiotics to work.
You paid for the pics they should give them to you

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom