Help ! Stuggling to lay??

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Wow, those are mostly shelled, fully formed eggs from what I can see ! I'm glad to see that Charlie is doing very well and hope that she will continue to recover quickly . What a trooper ! ⭐🔥

Axil

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Beebz
Good luck to you and Charlie regarding the histopath.

What a tough girl. I'm sure you're taking such good care of her helped her immensely in dealing with this.

She must have been very healthy to deal so well with the surgery and all the issues going on with her ovaries.

Cuttlefishh

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Charlie
Thank you all 🥺 she is a sweetie. A bit grumpy to take her meds this morning but she got them down without much issues. She is on oral antibiotics once per day for 14 days, meloxicam once per day for 14 days, and an injectable antibiotic once every 3 days for 14 days. She ate a little more BSFL this morning but seemed a little distracted after that.

I'm not terribly suprised or worried, she is still recovering after all and that wound on her tummy is no small thing. It looks painful. Still, I might buy her some super worms as a treat, though I'll continue to feed these cautiously 😅

Cuttlefishh

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Charlie
Good luck to you and Charlie regarding the histopath.

What a tough girl. I'm sure you're taking such good care of her helped her immensely in dealing with this.

She must have been very healthy to deal so well with the surgery and all the issues going on with her ovaries.

Thank you 🥺 she is a really strong girl, I hope the histopath comes back clear, but the surgeon yesterday said he's 98% sure it was just necrosed reproductive tissue. I think it can lead to necrosis when there is follicular stasis involved or even stuck eggs if the flow is all blocked. Not sure though, fingers crossed it comes back all clear.

Im so grateful for your comments about my care, It was a learning experience for me for sure, and there are defintiely some things i could have done differently i think. I noticed she was putting on lots of weight and the vet told me to put her on a diet after we initially thought the folliciles reabsorbed. Perhaps I went a little too harsh on the diet, I was only feeding her around 40 BSFL a week with the occasional cricket or woodie roach in between here or there. She had dusted salads daily but sometimes they were a little on the plain side, so she would eat maybe half of these. I think I did make some mistakes along the way honestly. My last beardie died with fatty liver being a contributor, so im really cautious about feeding. I guess my advice to anyone dealing with gravid beardies though is just let them eat to their hearts content when they are laying. My boyfriend told me some owners even feed pinkie mice after laying but I don't know about this.

It can be so hard to tell ! 😮‍💨 I'd been taking her to the vet almost every 8 weeks and having ultrasounds to try to stay on top of this and it still turned wry ! Hopefully we are on the road to a full recovery now and we can finally relax with all this egg buisness !

Cuttlefishh

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Charlie
Addendum to my last update, I got her some superworms as a treat to supplement her weight loss... she ate these like a pig. I had to stop after a certain amount, or there would be no stop to her otherwise 🥲 I don't think she'll have any problems putting the weight back on

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
A good appetite is a good sign, beardies truely are amazing.

Axil

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Beebz
Thank you 🥺 she is a really strong girl, I hope the histopath comes back clear, but the surgeon yesterday said he's 98% sure it was just necrosed reproductive tissue. I think it can lead to necrosis when there is follicular stasis involved or even stuck eggs if the flow is all blocked. Not sure though, fingers crossed it comes back all clear.

Im so grateful for your comments about my care, It was a learning experience for me for sure, and there are defintiely some things i could have done differently i think. I noticed she was putting on lots of weight and the vet told me to put her on a diet after we initially thought the folliciles reabsorbed. Perhaps I went a little too harsh on the diet, I was only feeding her around 40 BSFL a week with the occasional cricket or woodie roach in between here or there. She had dusted salads daily but sometimes they were a little on the plain side, so she would eat maybe half of these. I think I did make some mistakes along the way honestly. My last beardie died with fatty liver being a contributor, so im really cautious about feeding. I guess my advice to anyone dealing with gravid beardies though is just let them eat to their hearts content when they are laying. My boyfriend told me some owners even feed pinkie mice after laying but I don't know about this.

It can be so hard to tell ! 😮‍💨 I'd been taking her to the vet almost every 8 weeks and having ultrasounds to try to stay on top of this and it still turned wry ! Hopefully we are on the road to a full recovery now and we can finally relax with all this egg buisness !
It is hard! It would be easy if you didn't care so much, you could just shrug and do whatever. I am constantly second guessing myself about Beebz. Do i feed him the right amount, the right frequency, the right variety? Do I take him out enough for him to get exercise and enrichment, or too much and stress him out? There are very few concrete answers in caring for these amazing creatures. It's all a learning process and we do the best we can.

I can only give you the same advice I give myself. Learn what you can and don't obsess over it past the point it's no longer helpful to you or your animal. Sadly it's easier to say than to do, but i try.

I'm glad Charlie enjoyed her superworms. I know exactly what you mean about having to cut them off at some point. I remember thinking that if I followed the 10-15 minute rule Beebz would eat a pile of bugs bigger than he is!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Wow, that is truly awesome Charlie is doing this well so quickly after her surgery. It just shows
how badly she needed the eggs out, because she obviously had some reproductive issues going
on. You have done a great job with her & you definitely care enough to be so meticulous with her
care & it's obvious just how much you love her!
It's an excellent sign she is eating so much, also!
She looks great, very bright & happy. Very sweet that she wants to sleep on you, also.

Tracie
e

Cuttlefishh

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Charlie
Thank you guys for the continued generous feedback. I genuinely think she's recovering really nicely. I incredibly appreciate the support you guys have given. I'll try not to overthink or stress, this is great advice.

Here's some pictures from this morning after some meds and food, I'm waiting for her to do a poo still but she did one on Monday so it's not urgent, though she's eaten a lot of food since 🤭 will update if anything changes or after we get the histopath results back

Attachments

• 20230415_080505.jpg
    20230415_080505.jpg
    153.4 KB · Views: 71
  • 20230415_081042.jpg
    20230415_081042.jpg
    180.6 KB · Views: 66

Cuttlefishh

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Charlie
She still looks great ! They do love superworms, how many did she eat ? Be careful not to give her TOO many, they can cause constipation sometimes.

Too many honestly. I think around 10 worms a day in addition to the BSFL for last 2 days. She also had some carrots and some greens today too. But just now she did a really big well formed poop that I was waiting for. I'll def slow down on the supers might cut these back to a few twice a week, her appetite seems really fine. 😁

Cuttlefishh

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Charlie
Great news once more! Histopath results came back and showed the necrotic mass tissue was just dead follicles/yolk. There was no cancer or any other disease present.

They said it was quite amazing, her body essentially walled off the dead tissue inside of her. They said it could have been there ages- You wouldn't have even known by looking at her. They said it's good we acted when we did though as it was only a matter of time the follicles would have made her very sick.

Her prognosis is expected to be full recovery, which she is already showing this to likely be the case as she's eating, pooping and acting almost entirely normal- the only thing is I do think she is in a little pain sometimes, she will arch her back a little and stand up on her 4 legs, it kindof looks mostly like she's trying to take pressure off the surgery site. I think it does cause her discomfort from certain angles. She settles easily after a little repositioning.

Other that though she's doing great. I really appreciate everyone's support here. ❤️ I'll post another update after some time just to help those who are going through something similar. 🙂

Axil

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Beebz
Great news once more! Histopath results came back and showed the necrotic mass tissue was just dead follicles/yolk. There was no cancer or any other disease present.

They said it was quite amazing, her body essentially walled off the dead tissue inside of her. They said it could have been there ages- You wouldn't have even known by looking at her. They said it's good we acted when we did though as it was only a matter of time the follicles would have made her very sick.

Her prognosis is expected to be full recovery, which she is already showing this to likely be the case as she's eating, pooping and acting almost entirely normal- the only thing is I do think she is in a little pain sometimes, she will arch her back a little and stand up on her 4 legs, it kindof looks mostly like she's trying to take pressure off the surgery site. I think it does cause her discomfort from certain angles. She settles easily after a little repositioning.

Other that though she's doing great. I really appreciate everyone's support here. ❤️ I'll post another update after some time just to help those who are going through something similar. 🙂
That's awesome!

So glad she is well on her way to a full recovery. They are tough little critters. Both the fact she could isolate the damage for so long, and get through what seems like a pretty significant surgery only occasionally showing discomfort.

Considering after a relatively minor appendectomy I needed pain meds and received instructions to be careful about doing things as simple as going up and down stairs, Charlie is a lot tougher than I am. 😆

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Daniefran04
Top Bottom