Help ! Stuggling to lay??

Cuttlefishh

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Charlie
So my precious girl Charlie is laying again, this came very unexpectedly as she had not put on the large amount of weight she did last time, she actually lost about 60g since she laid her first 24 eggs.

Only this week she had been digging a lot, which gave me a hint she might be trying to start again but what I did not expect was for it to be so soon.

She started laying about 15-20min ago. It seems very slow and she looks fatigued. Her fat pads have come down and her eyes look a little sunk, but no black beard. I can't tell if she is struggling. How long does it take for her to pass them? How many should she pass ??

This couldn't have happened at a worse time. It's Easter weekend starting tomorrow and to top it off, I have Covid!

Either way I can find an emergency vet if needed, I live in Sydney. But when should I consider this? Her appetite for bugs has been ok but this last week she's been a bit less interested I'm her salad. She ate a lot of BSFL today and yesterday, and heaps of crickets this last weekend. I didn't think to feed bugs daily, as I didn't think she had more eggs! I was giving dusted salad daily, though.

I'm really worried because she had already lost a lot of weight since the last clutch and now she has more eggs 😥

Attachments

• 20230406_190208.jpg
    20230406_190208.jpg
    199.4 KB · Views: 192
  • 20230406_190217.jpg
    20230406_190217.jpg
    177.9 KB · Views: 88
  • 20230406_190227.jpg
    20230406_190227.jpg
    171.9 KB · Views: 78
  • 20230406_190233.jpg
    20230406_190233.jpg
    201.7 KB · Views: 84
  • 20230406_190310.jpg
    20230406_190310.jpg
    171.1 KB · Views: 82

Cuttlefishh

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Charlie
I gave her a warm bath and she drank some water, then put her in the lay pot. She laid another 3 eggs so we are up to 6. Her lights are about to turn off, I extended their time to shut off but should I let them turn off and just leave her to it? I called the emergency vet they have me on their inbound list just in case- they said they are prepared to see her if need be.

Her face looks bright and okay, maybe I am over reacting 😵 perhaps I should leave her to lay overnight ?

Attachments

• 20230406_200050.jpg
    20230406_200050.jpg
    169.4 KB · Views: 76
  • 20230406_200055.jpg
    20230406_200055.jpg
    170.5 KB · Views: 67
  • 20230406_200110.jpg
    20230406_200110.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 71
  • 20230406_200112.jpg
    20230406_200112.jpg
    159.8 KB · Views: 70

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I never saw this last night since it was posted late. How is she doing ? Definitely feed a female pretty much all the healthy insects they want after laying a large clutch like she did the last time she had the 24 eggs, she's a bit underweight . If she is still struggling now she might benefit from a shot of Oxytocin to induce laying.

Cuttlefishh

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Charlie
I never saw this last night since it was posted late. How is she doing ? Definitely feed a female pretty much all the healthy insects they want after laying a large clutch like she did the last time she had the 24 eggs, she's a bit underweight . If she is still struggling now she might benefit from a shot of Oxytocin to induce laying.
Thanks for replying, She's laid about 7 eggs so far, now she's fallen asleep at the back of the enclosure. I think she might have tried to laid more but seems to have fallen asleep. She only started trying to lay about 2 hours ago. Should I be concerned yet?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I can't say for sure, if you are sure she's just sleeping then let her sleep but if she gets a black beard then it's time to get her to the vet. Also the vet if she wakes up and can't lay anymore but keeps trying, in both scenarios a shot of Oxytocin would probably be necessary.

Cuttlefishh

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Charlie
I can't say for sure, if you are sure she's just sleeping then let her sleep but if she gets a black beard then it's time to get her to the vet. Also the vet if she wakes up and can't lay anymore but keeps trying, in both scenarios a shot of Oxytocin would probably be necessary.
She's definitely just asleep- it's 10pm now she started trying to lay around the time her lights are supposed to turn off, but I extended the time they are on before deciding to let her be and turning the day lights off. She doesn't look distressed or anything, the bath and the water she drank seemed to help. This seemed to happen so quickly I'm really in shock. I noticed she was looking a little thinner today and she weighed 397 grams before the eggs.

If need be I'm happy to take her to the emergency vet for the shot, if this is the safe thing to do. This is my first time having covid and it's taken a lot out of me. I'm worried that if I fall asleep though I'll miss her getting up and attempting to pass the rest.

Cuttlefishh

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Charlie
I checked her and moved her to the warm side of the enclosure, she gave me a bit of side eye but was sleepy otherwise

Attachments

• 20230406_220006.jpg
    20230406_220006.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 65
  • 20230406_220014.jpg
    20230406_220014.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 64

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Oh I see you're in Australia , I was thinking U.S. time. It's probably O.K to let her sleep but it's really up to you. Her beard isn't black so that's a positive thing.

Cuttlefishh

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Charlie
Oh I see you're in Australia , I was thinking U.S. time. It's probably O.K to let her sleep but it's really up to you. Her beard isn't black so that's a positive thing.
Yeah she looks OK, she let out egg number 8 after I moved her, it looked well formed. I'll try to keep an eye on her. How many eggs should I expect before I can be at ease ?

I tell you first thing I'm doing when this is over with is giving her the feed of her life 😵 though she had one today and yesterday before I knew she was trying to lay to be honest aha

Cuttlefishh

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Charlie
Yep right after I moved her, she was sleeping and she started wriggling her leg, then pooped out an egg. She's laid 8 now since earlier this evening. It looks like she's fallen back asleep again, not trying to pass any more for the moment.

Attachments

• 20230406_224052.jpg
    20230406_224052.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 57

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hmmmm, that's odd. BTW, I'm sorry you have Covid and that complicates things as far as getting to the vet. If you're really sick do you have anyone that could take her to the vet ? I don't know if it might be good for her to get the shot now since she's popping them out almost in her sleep.

Cuttlefishh

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Charlie
Hmmmm, that's odd. BTW, I'm sorry you have Covid and that complicates things as far as getting to the vet. If you're really sick do you have anyone that could take her to the vet ? I don't know if it might be good for her to get the shot now since she's popping them out almost in her sleep.
I don't unfortunately, if I go I'll need to mask up and just ensure I'm a safe distance. If it's the safest bet to take her now then I'll do so!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
It might be but I'm not 100 % sure. Call the vet and ask about the shot, if they think she should have it now or in the morning. It's Oxytocin.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom