Help ! Stuggling to lay??

Cuttlefishh

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Charlie
I wish this was something the emergency vet did, they were hopeless! $1000 for nothing but a single x ray 😮‍💨 and one shot of oxytocin only

The team that saw her today is the usual team who sees Charlie. She's having xrays and ultrasounds to confirm but they said there do seem to be more eggs present. What's made worse is that her belly is a bit swollen and it feels like possible fluid so they are worried one may have ruptured. She will stay there while they do the tests and stabilise her then tomorrow they will spay her. They are also going to start her on antibiotics to stop any infection that might be kicking in from the ruptured egg.

The vet that saw her last night.. sigh. She pinched and poked Charlie's stomach while holding her up. I was nervous when she did it. She said she didn't feel anything. I'm frustrated and I wouldn't be surprised if her doing that ruptured an egg, but Charlie was also straining a lot last night prior so I'm trying not to be cynical.

She was in relatively good condition this morning so they said it's better to address now than waiting for her to become more ill. I'm worried but fingers crossed this all goes okay.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
That may be the best option then since it seems inconclusive . An operation will take all the eggs/follicles and she should bounce back quickly. There was a dragon spay here about a week ago and she's doing great, Pancake is her name and she's already back to eating like a piggy.
Everything should be alright , most spays are successful and the dragons recupe quickly. :)

Cuttlefishh

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Charlie
That may be the best option then since it seems inconclusive . An operation will take all the eggs/follicles and she should bounce back quickly. There was a dragon spay here about a week ago and she's doing great, Pancake is her name and she's already back to eating like a piggy.
Everything should be alright , most spays are successful and the dragons recupe quickly. :)
This is very reassuring to hear, I'm so glad pancake is doing okay!

The ruptured egg worries me but she's in proper care now with the people who know her well. Can she recover well even if one of the eggs has ruptured?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
She should since she's getting antibiotics to control potential infection. And there may be no rupture, no yolk was passed. BTW Pancake had a lot of strange follicles in her but pulled through with flying colors. I think Charlie will too !

Cuttlefishh

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Charlie
She should since she's getting antibiotics to control potential infection. And there may be no rupture, no yolk was passed. BTW Pancake had a lot of strange follicles in her but pulled through with flying colors. I think Charlie will too !
Thank you for this reassurance 🙏 I will go look for pancakes and others stories who had the spay. I'll keep you posted as I get updates!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Here's Pancake's thread. There are also pics of the follicles taken out.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Please keep us posted on how she is doing. They can definitely recover 100% even if a follicle
ruptures. Since they are on things immediately she shouldn't crash but the antibiotics will be a
good idea to be sure she doesn't develop an infection.
We are all pulling for her! 💗

Tracie

Cuttlefishh

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Charlie
Thanks everyone, just got a call from the vet this afternoon, the surgery is finished and Charlie is in recovery, the next 24 hours will be most critical but if all goes well she can come home.

The right ovary and follicles/eggs were successfully removed. The left side though they said.. was a total mess! They said there was a lot of dead tissue on the left. He said he think he removed everything, but because he couldn't tie off the stem he isn't 100% sure. He said the reason he couldn't do this though was because all that tissue essentially wasted away. He described it to me like picking up a bunch of grapes but the stem essentially just completely fell apart when he tried to pick it up.

He said he removed all the dead tissue and cleaned everything up successfully but can't 100% tell me he removed the ovary. He suspects he has removed it and it was part of all the dead tissue taken out but is not 100%. He said they can go back in in the future and remove should it be a problem again.

Im absolutely taken aback at how much of a silent killer these issues can be. Charlie looks really healthy otherwise so I'm shocked she had something like that going on.

Cuttlefishh

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Charlie
Side note: he mentioned she was both eggbound and had preovulatory follicular stasis at the same time ! He said he'd never seen both happen simultaneously before and I was gobsmacked. Perhaps one egg became stuck and caused the issues elsewhere after? But this all happened in such a short time. A month ago she laid a huge clutch of 24, then 8 again just the other day. I'm dumbfounded but fingers crossed she will be fine after this. I bet she will be feeling a lot better now they removed all that dead tissue from her.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Oh wow, I was thinking it might be both eggs and follicles. Ask them for pics of it all so you can see what was in there. I hope she recovers well.
I only saw this now because our power went out for unknown reason in my area [ no storm or anything ] and I fell asleep early, power's back on now but it's the wee morning hours. I did want to check on Charlie though. Sooo back to sleep in a few......

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Wow, poor Charlie, she definitely had a lot of issues going on, bless her. That is very rare
that they have eggs & follicles. I think having eggs but she wasn't laying them, there were
more that backed up that didn't develop & get shelled.
I hope she is recovering well! Please keep us posted on her & I hope she comes home soon!

Tracie

Cuttlefishh

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Charlie
Aw thanks both for checking in. I spoke to the vet a few hours later again and he said she's recovering quite smoothly so far. They are going to send some of the tissue off they took out just to be sure it's all reproductive tract and make sure she's on the right antibiotics, but he said he is 98% sure it was all reproductive tissue that had gone bad that he removed.

He told me to check in tomorrow to see if she can go home tmrw or the day after, depending on how she goes tonight. He said she's going really well since the surgery and all looks OK for the moment 😀

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lizziefan
Top Bottom