HELP! Scabby, bleeding, flaking scales

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can someone please tell me what I can do to help my baby boy until our Vet appointment?

My Mochi boy was a petco/craigslist beardie I rescued in 2017 and he just turned 4 (approximately) and I’ve had him for 3 years

he’s always been housed alone - we do have a female BD in a separate apartment above him

No loose substrate, (fleece and/or not-adhesive soft shelfliner (kind of like a yoga mat), no insects left in bowl overnight/at all, I hand feed him a balanced diet of dubi roaches and the occasional superworm with acorn and butternut squash with the occasional blueberry as a treat (STILL hates greens but i like to offer different veggies and staple greens just in case he wants to try them) no wooden decorations, Regularly cleaned and disinfected hemp bridge and hammock and plastic cave MVB changed every 5-6 months with low humidity and correct basking and cool temps

His skin problem started with an odd shed- he’s always had some irregular shedding due to neglect and improper lights, reptisand, poo and grime everywhere, improper calcium and vitamin supplements and had never been bathed or touched by the owner was practically starved to death (2 or 3 crickets a week was what the roommate told me) and his water bowl was unsealed plaster so he was severely hydrated (CAN YOU TELL HOW ANGRY/UPSET I WAS!?!?).... ANYWAYS... since I rescued him 3 years ago he’s been doing much better- I’ve been taking him to an Exotics-Only vet (no cats or dogs!!) that I absolutely love and trust and he’s been brought back from the brink- is at a good weight and is always active, interested in his surroundings and eats well- my other bearded dragon 5 yr old female (bought from an exclusive breeder) has had 2 different respiratory infections since Ive had her and my male has always been my “tough” “hardy” boy and literally has never had health issues- BUT he’s always had irregular sheds and wonky scales because of his previous owner
so when I saw scales sprinkled around my house (I let him out on supervised runs) and his enclosure I didn’t panic- I thought I would help his shed along with a bath

After a couple of baths over the next couple weeks he was still shedding scales so i added some coconut oil to the water and soaked and scrubbed with a toothbrush every other day

fast forward to yesterday and he starts getting these red marks that almost looked like scabs and yellowing scales and he was bleeding a little last night- i have no idea what is going on!!

Did i scrub him too hard?
Was the water possibly too hot?
Did his substrate possibly get too hot and he got burned (I live in So Cal and the temp outside has been all over the map recently and all throughout the day and my apartment doesn’t have AC because of the old power grid or whatever)
Is the new disinfectant irritating his skin?
Did the serrapeptase hurt more than help his immunity?
Is it his new rock cave that has these pointy spots that he seems to get stuck on sometimes?
Is it Yellow fungus?
Is it scale rot?
Is it some other skin disease?
Is it possibly my floor or my floor cleaner or the texture thats been rubbing him raw when he runs around the house?
Was it the coconut oil?

92964-4555677823.jpg
92964-3069012589.jpg
92964-7275900277.jpg
92964-4637855906.jpg
92964-1935269558.jpg
92964-5631328854.jpg
92964-4369341405.jpg
92964-1404636978.jpg
92964-940832915.jpg
92964-3230223442.jpg

SIDE NOTES:
His normal/back coloring:
92964-7739395401.jpg

I keep him well hydrated, he hHe has not had a fecal recently

I try my best not to cross contaminate between my lizards and my female had a recent respiratory infection she got due to submersing her head drinking water in her tub -we took her to the vet and she was given injected antibiotics for two weeks, was given colloidal Silver nebulizing treatments and supplemented with vet approved serrapeptase- the vet recommended i give Mochi some serrapeptase as well just to be on the safe.

We have linoleum floors that look like wood (so it has little grooves in it) and we have high pile carpet- he always has good traction when running around

I have recently changed my cleaning liquids from straight up dawn dishsoap (for poo stains) and rubbing alcohol to a diluted chlorhexidine gluconate 2%

He was boarded in a sanitized enclosure (by himself) and monitored.for a week at the vet when I went on a trip in July - healthchecks are mandatory to screen out any issues before any reptile could be accepted to boarding

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, that does look very odd and hopefully he can get over this ASAP. Do you have pics from when it was just a bit of flaky scales ? I do think that soaking + scrubbing is what caused this so let him stay as dry as possible now and no more scrubbing. Raw honey is a good wound healer but unfortunately would make everything stick to his belly. It might be worth a try to put some diluted honey on or some silver sulfa cream from a pharmacy. Still, just reducing the baths + scrubbing may allow everything to heal alright.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I'm not sure what's causing that, but the skin does look irritated where the pink areas are. It doesn't look like yellow fungus, but it's possibly a skin infection of some sort. Certainly worth having the vet check that when you can get in for an appointment. Some areas look stained but others look like wounds which is concerning.

The fact that some of the pink areas are on his back makes me think this is caused by something touching all of his skin (rather than irritation from walking on something) or some kind of full body reaction (like an allergy). For now, I would treat it as skin irritation. Try removing things that could cause physical irritation. Maybe the hammock and the rock. I would avoid offering baths and not apply anything to the skin for the time being. I would be hesitant to apply anything to the skin without knowing what the cause is. That's why I recommend just backing off of everything to see if it starts to heal without interference.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Poor thing, that probably is a bit irritating. I agree, it doesn't look like yellow fungus but is
definitely irritated. Definitely cut out baths right now & no scrubbing to see if it starts to heal.
I am not sure what the vet will give but a little bit of silver cream or gel, or raw honey may
help. Give it some time & it should start to heal up.
Your dragon looks different than a conventional P. Vitticeps, does he by any chance have any
P. Barbata in him or do you know? Just basing it on the shape of his head & body shape a bit.
Just curious. He is a great looking boy.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom