Ally1437

Hi there. I got my first beardie 3-4 years ago. I am soon to graduate from college but I have noticed there is reddness and what looks like rashes or burns on my beardie. I have looked at other people who had similar issues but I am unsure what to do. I do not want to go to a vet yet as they are extre pricey where I live so I want to try some home remedies first if I can. Please let me know what I should do based on the photos. He does not have them on his body, just his face. If you wonder why he looks so small I got him from a backyard breeder who sold him to me for $20 because he was a “runt” along with his litter apparently.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Update: I had just clipped his nails shortly after this, before this photo I gave him a warm bath. I noticed these spots about a week ago and have some research using this website. Some people have had similar issue and I saw some answers telling people that it could be mites, burns or scratches. Currently his tank is a bit small but I am working on getting a bigger tank by reselling 2 other tanks that were in storage from a pet snake. He had a bigger tank before but it was really beaten up and because moving into a new apt it just took up to much space. I currently have him in a 20 gallon with the heat lamp resting on the lid. I do believe the rock I have him on is causing the redness as I have noticed his basking rock is pretty sharp on the outside but in the inside it is smooth. However whenever he gets inside of the rock I believe the sharp edges scratch his head. I did see their was a chemical you could buy IF it is mites I will link what spray I am talking about (MIRACLE CARE Reptile Mite Spray, 8-oz bottle - Chewy.com ) I read in one of the other forums that this spray helps with mites, that is if he has any. The last time I took him out had to be within the first or second week of November. I had noticed he had a little red mark on his lip which was extremely faded at the time and I thought it was a stingy strawberry left over that did not want to come off. Obviously it was not that. I do have cats but as I said there is a lid that requires a person to pick it up instead of a sliding lid.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------My theories: As I said before I do believe they are possibly scratches from his basking rock (which I got from petco). I also believe it may be burns as I have noticed that his basking rock is very close to his heating lamp. Since I noticed this I have moved it to the opposite side. I also believe it can be mites but I am unsure. Please let me know what products I should buy or what I should do. HE HAS HAD NO CHANGES IN BEHAVIOR SINCE I NOTICED THIS. Zeus is a very active beardie and loves to explore a lot. This hasn't changed and he spends most of his time now basking (mainly because the temperature of where I live has gotten much colder). He also poops regularly, almost every other 2-3 days he has pooped.

Attachments

• C6C1DA45-69FC-4178-B5B8-29AE970E1887.jpeg
    C6C1DA45-69FC-4178-B5B8-29AE970E1887.jpeg
    144.5 KB · Views: 136
  • 305D2888-2E5F-4D6B-BB2B-AF4D17F6A160.jpeg
    305D2888-2E5F-4D6B-BB2B-AF4D17F6A160.jpeg
    185.8 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hi there. I got my first beardie 3-4 years ago. I am soon to graduate from college but I have noticed there is reddness and what looks like rashes or burns on my beardie. I have looked at other people who had similar issues but I am unsure what to do. I do not want to go to a vet yet as they are extre pricey where I live so I want to try some home remedies first if I can. Please let me know what I should do based on the photos. He does not have them on his body, just his face. If you wonder why he looks so small I got him from a backyard breeder who sold him to me for $20 because he was a “runt” along with his litter apparently.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Update: I had just clipped his nails shortly after this, before this photo I gave him a warm bath. I noticed these spots about a week ago and have some research using this website. Some people have had similar issue and I saw some answers telling people that it could be mites, burns or scratches. Currently his tank is a bit small but I am working on getting a bigger tank by reselling 2 other tanks that were in storage from a pet snake. He had a bigger tank before but it was really beaten up and because moving into a new apt it just took up to much space. I currently have him in a 20 gallon with the heat lamp resting on the lid. I do believe the rock I have him on is causing the redness as I have noticed his basking rock is pretty sharp on the outside but in the inside it is smooth. However whenever he gets inside of the rock I believe the sharp edges scratch his head. I did see their was a chemical you could buy IF it is mites I will link what spray I am talking about (MIRACLE CARE Reptile Mite Spray, 8-oz bottle - Chewy.com ) I read in one of the other forums that this spray helps with mites, that is if he has any. The last time I took him out had to be within the first or second week of November. I had noticed he had a little red mark on his lip which was extremely faded at the time and I thought it was a stingy strawberry left over that did not want to come off. Obviously it was not that. I do have cats but as I said there is a lid that requires a person to pick it up instead of a sliding lid.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------My theories: As I said before I do believe they are possibly scratches from his basking rock (which I got from petco). I also believe it may be burns as I have noticed that his basking rock is very close to his heating lamp. Since I noticed this I have moved it to the opposite side. I also believe it can be mites but I am unsure. Please let me know what products I should buy or what I should do. HE HAS HAD NO CHANGES IN BEHAVIOR SINCE I NOTICED THIS. Zeus is a very active beardie and loves to explore a lot. This hasn't changed and he spends most of his time now basking (mainly because the temperature of where I live has gotten much colder). He also poops regularly, almost every other 2-3 days he has pooped.
We need another person on this forum to look at this --- the rock hes in is a regular rock not a heat rock right? You dont want the basking lamp any closer than 6" even tho its on the screen -- what kind of UVB are you using? coil in a dome or a long tube fixture?
@AHBD
@Drache613

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Can you post pics to show how close the basking rock was to the heat lamp when this happened ? It might be a burn. If so, put some silver cream on it [ drug stores carry it ] it raw honey diluted with a tiny bit of warm water. That will help it to shed, too and you'll be able see the area better afterwards.

Last edited:

Ally1437

Original Poster
Can you post pics to show how close the basking rock was to the heat lamp when this happened ? It might be a burn. If so, put some silver cream on it [ drug stores carry it ] it raw honey diluted with a tiny bit of warm water. That will help it to shed, too and you'll be able see the area better afterwards.
Thank you for the reply and sure I can once I am home. Can you tell me which company I should look for in regards to the silver cream? I am sure I can find raw honey in my nearest store. I will try and do these remedies either today or tomorrow and will update asap.

Ally1437

Original Poster
We need another person on this forum to look at this --- the rock hes in is a regular rock not a heat rock right? You dont want the basking lamp any closer than 6" even tho its on the screen -- what kind of UVB are you using? coil in a dome or a long tube fixture?
@AHBD
@Drache613
I have it this close. I am using a dome at 50 I believe. The rock I got is from petco, I believe its not a “heating” rock but a basking rock.

Attachments

• D7E7DA1F-E71A-4F09-B138-7F99312C1DFE.jpeg
    D7E7DA1F-E71A-4F09-B138-7F99312C1DFE.jpeg
    118.6 KB · Views: 65

Ally1437

Original Poster
Hi there i posted a pic in another persons reply

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I have it this close. I am using a dome at 50 I believe. The rock I got is from petco, I believe its not a “heating” rock but a basking rock.
This is the distance it hasn't changed? Also what is the surface basking temp- and how are you getting that temps-- no that is not a heat rock

Ally1437

Original Poster
This is the distance it hasn't changed? Also what is the surface basking temp- and how are you getting that temps-- no that is not a heat rock
Distance has not change, it has always been this way. I am not sure what the basking temp is. His old tank had one built into the tank but because it was sold I no longer have a way to temp. I’ll add this to one of my items to get for him, I should be able to get one by tomorrow, latest being saturday. also by “50” I mean the watt of the bulb.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Distance has not change, it has always been this way. I am not sure what the basking temp is. His old tank had one built into the tank but because it was sold I no longer have a way to temp. I’ll add this to one of my items to get for him, I should be able to get one by tomorrow, latest being saturday. also by “50” I mean the watt of the bulb.
Please get 2 Zoo Med digital probes found at Petco or PetSmart or most pet stores --- this is crucial for your dragon--- for an adult dragon you want surface basking temps 95-100 --- crucial for starting digestion--- middle of the tank 90's and cool end 80's - stick ons are ok for ambient but you need the probe for the surface basking spot - take the probe place on the spot where he basks leave for 10 min or so you dont need to leave it there but it should be spot checked every 10 days - 2 weeks - basking lamps give out after a period of time -- it could be a burn but I am not sure --- given we dont have a actual basking temp - 50 watt is pretty low so I cant say for sure - I would replace the basking rock if that could cause the wound - you want something that is smooth inside - Pet Smart has great basking decor -- what are you using for a UVB this is also crucial for your dragons health as well

Ally1437

Original Poster
Please get 2 Zoo Med digital probes found at Petco or PetSmart or most pet stores --- this is crucial for your dragon--- for an adult dragon you want surface basking temps 95-100 --- crucial for starting digestion--- middle of the tank 90's and cool end 80's - stick ons are ok for ambient but you need the probe for the surface basking spot - take the probe place on the spot where he basks leave for 10 min or so you dont need to leave it there but it should be spot checked every 10 days - 2 weeks - basking lamps give out after a period of time -- it could be a burn but I am not sure --- given we dont have a actual basking temp - 50 watt is pretty low so I cant say for sure - I would replace the basking rock if that could cause the wound - you want something that is smooth inside - Pet Smart has great basking decor -- what are you using for a UVB this is also crucial for your dragons health as well
Thank you so much for the info. I’ll update the thread as much as I can. I’ll also take the advice of the other person from earlier. Do you have any other advice for me in regards to his possible burns? What I should do to treat it?

Ally1437

Original Poster
HI everyone I wanted to leave an update. He got a new spot on his head. Its small and red. He still has no change in behavior and still poops regularly. I still have to get his items hopefully by the end of this week as this week has been a hassle it self with thanksgiving passing and being sick. I also want to note I rely on my parents as a means of transportation has I do not have a car but the stores are not far (driving wise). I also have some reasons why I believe he is getting these marks. I noticed he will sometimes nudge himself behind his rock, on the corners of the rock they are pretty sharp and I saw him rubbing himself against it. I took him out of the tank and let him chill on my desk to which he just wonders around on. Another reason is I believe it COULD be a parasite which I really hope it is not. I say this because just now there was a bug on my wall (a roach known as a cockroach which are usually found in houses) and he was quick to look at it. I believe he may have eaten a bug when I allow him outside of the tank. Please let me know what you guys think.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
HI everyone I wanted to leave an update. He got a new spot on his head. Its small and red. He still has no change in behavior and still poops regularly. I still have to get his items hopefully by the end of this week as this week has been a hassle it self with thanksgiving passing and being sick. I also want to note I rely on my parents as a means of transportation has I do not have a car but the stores are not far (driving wise). I also have some reasons why I believe he is getting these marks. I noticed he will sometimes nudge himself behind his rock, on the corners of the rock they are pretty sharp and I saw him rubbing himself against it. I took him out of the tank and let him chill on my desk to which he just wonders around on. Another reason is I believe it COULD be a parasite which I really hope it is not. I say this because just now there was a bug on my wall (a roach known as a cockroach which are usually found in houses) and he was quick to look at it. I believe he may have eaten a bug when I allow him outside of the tank. Please let me know what you guys think.
Post pics so we can see if its possible mites --- they usually look like red or black specks - or dots - if hes rubbing against that rock hes probably got shed coming on I would remove it and get one that has smoother edges --- or rounder etc --- check Pet Smart for decor they have some nice stuff for dragons

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom