Help please! Baby bearded dragon not pooping properly

Cubby

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Namu
Hi. I recently got a new baby bearded dragon and for the past few days she hasn’t been able to poop properly. All I see is this clear liquid and urate coming out. I’ve fed her the right size insects and use newspaper so I don’t think it could be impaction but I just don’t know and I’m so worried. Her bum area is swollen but goes down after a while from when she tried to poop. When there is poo that comes out it’s not much and seems watery. I don’t know what to do or if this is a very serious problem. I just want her to be healthy but something definitely seems wrong. She still has an appetite but she eats without expelling anything but liquid. I tried giving her baths but she HATESSSS them. Should I try fruit laxatives or something to try to help pass the food?

Cubby

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Namu
Hello,

Sorry I just checked your thread again. It sounds like your dragon has greatly improved!
So she has been able to go to the bathroom without any issues recently?
For now, I would feed smaller insects than normal, in case she might still have some trouble,
to avoid impaction problems.
If you are going to feed Dubias or crickets especially, make sure they are smaller than the space
between her eyes. You can try small calcium/phoenix worms, small silkworms either one which
are soft bodied & easy to digest.

Let us know how she is doing.
Tracie
I appreciate you checking in again it means a lot. So a quick update, she is finally able to poop and has been pooping once a day. But she still gets a swollen bum after she goes and this morning I noticed a small red lump protruding. She also did not poop like the past couple of days. It was more runny and not as solid. There was also a bit of liquid with it as well. I don’t know why the bum area is not getting better. I’m looking into vets but it’s hard since there aren’t many if any near me. Should I go back to the pumpkin mix?

Cubby

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Namu
I appreciate you checking in again it means a lot. So a quick update, she is finally able to poop and has been pooping once a day. But she still gets a swollen bum after she goes and this morning I noticed a small red lump protruding. She also did not poop like the past couple of days. It was more runny and not as solid. There was also a bit of liquid with it as well. I don’t know why the bum area is not getting better. I’m looking into vets but it’s hard since there aren’t many if any near me. Should I go back to the pumpkin mix?
I’ve also been feeding her Dubias smaller than the space between her eyes. I’ve eliminated crickets from her diet because I thought maybe they were contributing to the problem.

Cubby

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Namu
Okay so I was able to push it back in and her bum looks normal now. How do I prevent this from happening every time she poops. I can physically see that she’s struggling to go and even tho she is pooping, I want her to be able to do it easily and not have butt troubles. I adjusted her enclosure setup because she had multiple raised places to bask so maybe she was staying in an area where the temp wasn’t high enough. She now only has two spots that are raised to bask and those spots have the probe thermometer reading so I can monitor the temps to stay within 100-105 F. I’m scared to feed her anything now but she hasn’t lost any appetite at all which is a good thing I guess

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Okay so I was able to push it back in and her bum looks normal now. How do I prevent this from happening every time she poops. I can physically see that she’s struggling to go and even tho she is pooping, I want her to be able to do it easily and not have butt troubles. I adjusted her enclosure setup because she had multiple raised places to bask so maybe she was staying in an area where the temp wasn’t high enough. She now only has two spots that are raised to bask and those spots have the probe thermometer reading so I can monitor the temps to stay within 100-105 F. I’m scared to feed her anything now but she hasn’t lost any appetite at all which is a good thing I guess
Please read Tracies/ Drache613 post --- and as she suggested please feed smaller insects of the dubias - I would get her over on BSFL and silk worms - they are soft and would be better on the butt area--- she also suggested some stuff to put on her butt / vent ---

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

For now, continue with the softer foods. Sometimes after prolapses or issues that have weakened
or damaged that area, it takes time to heal up as the tissue has sustained trauma. Are you giving a
liquid or powdered calcium for her?
You can try some antibiotic ointment, or silver gel to put on her vent area if it seems raw. It sounds
like she is doing pretty well right now, but keep us posted on her progress.

Tracie

Cubby

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Namu
Hello,

For now, continue with the softer foods. Sometimes after prolapses or issues that have weakened
or damaged that area, it takes time to heal up as the tissue has sustained trauma. Are you giving a
liquid or powdered calcium for her?
You can try some antibiotic ointment, or silver gel to put on her vent area if it seems raw. It sounds
like she is doing pretty well right now, but keep us posted on her progress.

Tracie
I took her to the vet because her cloaca had come out and they gave me some lube to keep her butt area wet. She strained herself when trying to go and even though the poo came out I guess she pushed to hard. I also have some wax worms I bought for now and will keep up with the pumpkin mix. I have powder calcium.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I took her to the vet because her cloaca had come out and they gave me some lube to keep her butt area wet. She strained herself when trying to go and even though the poo came out I guess she pushed to hard. I also have some wax worms I bought for now and will keep up with the pumpkin mix. I have powder calcium.
I recommend getting her some silk worms and BSFL -- those are going to be better than the wax worms - they are too fatty and can cause liver damage if fed long term --
www.symtonbsf.com
www.reptilianarts.com

Cubby

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Namu
I recommend getting her some silk worms and BSFL -- those are going to be better than the wax worms - they are too fatty and can cause liver damage if fed long term --
www.symtonbsf.com
www.reptilianarts.com
The wax worms are just for now I wanna get her back onto roaches soon. I think also I may be over feeding her with the roaches and maybe that’s why she’s still having troubles. Everything else seems to be good so that’s the only thing I can think of. I will look into the BSFL because I heard those are very good for babies since they’re very small. Thank you!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom