Help please! Baby bearded dragon not pooping properly

Cubby

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Namu
Hi. I recently got a new baby bearded dragon and for the past few days she hasn’t been able to poop properly. All I see is this clear liquid and urate coming out. I’ve fed her the right size insects and use newspaper so I don’t think it could be impaction but I just don’t know and I’m so worried. Her bum area is swollen but goes down after a while from when she tried to poop. When there is poo that comes out it’s not much and seems watery. I don’t know what to do or if this is a very serious problem. I just want her to be healthy but something definitely seems wrong. She still has an appetite but she eats without expelling anything but liquid. I tried giving her baths but she HATESSSS them. Should I try fruit laxatives or something to try to help pass the food?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Bless him, how is your little baby doing?
Assisted feeding can often times stress them so the black bearding is probably associated
with that.
Be sure to go very slowly when feeding him so she doesn't choke. Does she act like she is
in any pain at all, from her swelling on her hind end? Do you have any aloe vera gel, silver
gel or antibiotic ointment to put on that area?

Tracie

Cubby

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Namu
Hello,

Bless him, how is your little baby doing?
Assisted feeding can often times stress them so the black bearding is probably associated
with that.
Be sure to go very slowly when feeding him so she doesn't choke. Does she act like she is
in any pain at all, from her swelling on her hind end? Do you have any aloe vera gel, silver
gel or antibiotic ointment to put on that area?

Tracie
When her bum area gets swollen it doesn’t seem to bother her when I touch the area. Last night, a while after she had tried to go I lightly pressed the area to see if anything would come out and it went straight back down which was surprising. It felt like something was put back in place or something I’m not too sure but she doesn’t seem like there’s any pain when I touch the area if it’s swollen. I go drop by drop when assisted feeding her because I remember about the aspiration you had told me about. Also another thing I’m concerned about is when I go to work I won’t be able to feed her during lunch hours since I don’t come back until 5 in the afternoon.

Cubby

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Namu
A5013064-DD20-472E-9BE6-4284B432F28E.jpeg

She slept like this last night

Cubby

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Namu
She finally had one successful poop!!!!! There was no extra liquid content and it was a healthy normal looking log! Her bum is a little bit swollen now so I will continue to feed the pumpkin before giving her solids just in case. But her bum is not as swollen as it used to get.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
She finally had one successful poop!!!!! There was no extra liquid content and it was a healthy normal looking log! Her bum is a little bit swollen now so I will continue to feed the pumpkin before giving her solids just in case. But her bum is not as swollen as it used to get.
Thats great --- was there white urate in w/ the poop? I would feed her more in terms of what your administering -- one drop is good but maybe 3 at a time so she swallows what you put in - and up the mls if your going to be gone at lunch time - feed her more in the morning - she looks thin-- the solid foods we need Tracie to advise on when you should start again and what should be fed -- or AHBD
@Drache613
@AHBD

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Make sure the basking temp. is high enough to aid in digestion and use dubias that are a little smaller than 1/2", those are probably too big for him , especially. Keep up the pumpkin laxative, great job getting that in !

Cubby

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Namu
Make sure the basking temp. is high enough to aid in digestion and use dubias that are a little smaller than 1/2", those are probably too big for him , especially. Keep up the pumpkin laxative, great job getting that in !
Okay sounds good! When I get home from work I’ll give her some of the pumpkin mix and throw in a couple of smaller Dubias for her. She does look thinner than she used to which is also worrying. I don’t want her to be starving :( She doesn’t like the pumpkin much but it’s working so it’ll have to do

Cubby

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Namu
Thats great --- was there white urate in w/ the poop? I would feed her more in terms of what your administering -- one drop is good but maybe 3 at a time so she swallows what you put in - and up the mls if your going to be gone at lunch time - feed her more in the morning - she looks thin-- the solid foods we need Tracie to advise on when you should start again and what should be fed -- or AHBD
@Drache613
@AHBD
I was so excited/happy about the poop I can’t remember if I saw urate but she would always excrete urate along with the liquid before so I’m pretty sure this time with the poop the urate was at the end. I’ll have to see if she was able to go again with another successful poop when I get back so I’ll make sure to take notice of the urate as well!

Cubby

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Namu
Little update: she only seems to poo successfully (normal looking poo with urate) in the morning. Today was the second morning she was able to go and have it look normal. I gave her smaller Dubias and she chased after them so fast. She was probably very hungry for those since she was only on the pumpkin laxative for two days. I gave her a warm bath today to help and she only let out urate. So I will see in the morning if she does another successful poop. But I wish she would be able to go more than once a day. I’ll keep feeding her the pumpkin mix until she goes more often like she used to

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Okay sounds good! When I get home from work I’ll give her some of the pumpkin mix and throw in a couple of smaller Dubias for her. She does look thinner than she used to which is also worrying. I don’t want her to be starving :( She doesn’t like the pumpkin much but it’s working so it’ll have to do

Little update: she only seems to poo successfully (normal looking poo with urate) in the morning. Today was the second morning she was able to go and have it look normal. I gave her smaller Dubias and she chased after them so fast. She was probably very hungry for those since she was only on the pumpkin laxative for two days. I gave her a warm bath today to help and she only let out urate. So I will see in the morning if she does another successful poop. But I wish she would be able to go more than once a day. I’ll keep feeding her the pumpkin mix until she goes more often like she used to
I am glad she has passed the poo--- you dont need to keep feeding her the pumpkin now -- as long as she has passed whatever impacted her -- just make sure you keep her hydrated - either by baths or dropping water on her nose so she licks till shes done- I would think you would be able to start w/ the salads again - I would get her some BSFL try some medium size they are small larvae and loaded w/ calcium - make sure your dusting your roaches w/ cal D3 ONE time per day/ feeding 5 x per week and vitamins w/ beta carotene ONE time per feeding 2 x per week -- you can get those from here they are known as nutri grubs -- www.dubiaroaches.com -- dragons usually poop once a day babies sometimes more --- and as they get older they will slow down on the pooping --

Cubby

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Namu
I am glad she has passed the poo--- you dont need to keep feeding her the pumpkin now -- as long as she has passed whatever impacted her -- just make sure you keep her hydrated - either by baths or dropping water on her nose so she licks till shes done- I would think you would be able to start w/ the salads again - I would get her some BSFL try some medium size they are small larvae and loaded w/ calcium - make sure your dusting your roaches w/ cal D3 ONE time per day/ feeding 5 x per week and vitamins w/ beta carotene ONE time per feeding 2 x per week -- you can get those from here they are known as nutri grubs -- www.dubiaroaches.com -- dragons usually poop once a day babies sometimes more --- and as they get older they will slow down on the pooping --
Yeah she used to go like three times a day. She still has some trouble going and her bum stays swollen a little after she tries to go. But again in the morning she has successful ones so I don’t know if that’s like the normal recovery process or something. I’ll look into getting those nutri grubs because I get my Dubias from that site too! Thank you sooo much for your help. My dragon and I are so appreciative and are in debt. :’)

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Yeah she used to go like three times a day. She still has some trouble going and her bum stays swollen a little after she tries to go. But again in the morning she has successful ones so I don’t know if that’s like the normal recovery process or something. I’ll look into getting those nutri grubs because I get my Dubias from that site too! Thank you sooo much for your help. My dragon and I are so appreciative and are in debt. :’)
Ok let's have Tracie advise on the feeding and exactly what
@Drache613

fcooper

Hatchling Member
Hi. I recently got a new baby bearded dragon and for the past few days she hasn’t been able to poop properly. All I see is this clear liquid and urate coming out. I’ve fed her the right size insects and use newspaper so I don’t think it could be impaction but I just don’t know and I’m so worried. Her bum area is swollen but goes down after a while from when she tried to poop. When there is poo that comes out it’s not much and seems watery. I don’t know what to do or if this is a very serious problem. I just want her to be healthy but something definitely seems wrong. She still has an appetite but she eats without expelling anything but liquid. I tried giving her baths but she HATESSSS them. Should I try fruit laxatives or something to try to help pass the food?
What have you been feeding them?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Sorry I just checked your thread again. It sounds like your dragon has greatly improved!
So she has been able to go to the bathroom without any issues recently?
For now, I would feed smaller insects than normal, in case she might still have some trouble,
to avoid impaction problems.
If you are going to feed Dubias or crickets especially, make sure they are smaller than the space
between her eyes. You can try small calcium/phoenix worms, small silkworms either one which
are soft bodied & easy to digest.

Let us know how she is doing.
Tracie

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom