Help! New Beardie Owner And I think mine is sick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tiff0519

I just got a baby beardie about a month ago. Things have been great and he has completed our little family. Normally he is very active and loves to be held and cuddle. His majority of his diet has been crickets. We do feed hime greens here and there daily as well. He has shed once already as well. I noticed two days ago that he pooped and on his poop was blood. I noticed he stopped eating the crickets too. He still would eat his leafy greens tho. He did seem a little lethargic. Yesterday he was still a tad lethargic, still refusing to eat crickets, but still would eat his leafy greens. He tends to stay up on his tree as close to his heat lamp light almost 24/7 the last 3 days. Today, he has only ate 3 very small pieces of the greens, still wont eat crickets and will barely open his eyes. He opens then for a second and looks at who is in his cage but then closes them again right away. He pooped again today. No blood but it was diarrhea like. I am at a loss of what to do to help him?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I just got a baby beardie about a month ago. Things have been great and he has completed our little family. Normally he is very active and loves to be held and cuddle. His majority of his diet has been crickets. We do feed hime greens here and there daily as well. He has shed once already as well. I noticed two days ago that he pooped and on his poop was blood. I noticed he stopped eating the crickets too. He still would eat his leafy greens tho. He did seem a little lethargic. Yesterday he was still a tad lethargic, still refusing to eat crickets, but still would eat his leafy greens. He tends to stay up on his tree as close to his heat lamp light almost 24/7 the last 3 days. Today, he has only ate 3 very small pieces of the greens, still wont eat crickets and will barely open his eyes. He opens then for a second and looks at who is in his cage but then closes them again right away. He pooped again today. No blood but it was diarrhea like. I am at a loss of what to do to help him?
Please tell me how big the insects are? They should not be bigger than the space between his eyes length wise- the basking temps need to be 105-110 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer- you want surface temps not air- the basking bulb needs to be a CLEAR white basking bulb no colored bulbs-- your uvb needs to be a long tube fixture NO coils please-- I will help you when you tell me what your using I can post links

Tiff0519

Original Poster
Please tell me how big the insects are? They should not be bigger than the space between his eyes length wise- the basking temps need to be 105-110 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer- you want surface temps not air- the basking bulb needs to be a CLEAR white basking bulb no colored bulbs-- your uvb needs to be a long tube fixture NO coils please-- I will help you when you tell me what your using I can post links
The crickets are small. We have been following the eye rule. I will stop and get a digital probe thermometer today. I attached files of his set up. I have no clue what lights they are, they came with the cage as a set when I bought him.

Attachments

• 65C3ABFD-D97E-4A16-A755-12799A03227A.jpeg
    65C3ABFD-D97E-4A16-A755-12799A03227A.jpeg
    203.1 KB · Views: 135
  • 044881CF-8632-4EE5-8513-306518646613.jpeg
    044881CF-8632-4EE5-8513-306518646613.jpeg
    182.4 KB · Views: 122
  • CF437586-D3E7-4F3F-AA85-3DA816D7E4AE.jpeg
    CF437586-D3E7-4F3F-AA85-3DA816D7E4AE.jpeg
    300.7 KB · Views: 136

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
The crickets are small. We have been following the eye rule. I will stop and get a digital probe thermometer today. I attached files of his set up. I have no clue what lights they are, they came with the cage as a set when I bought him.
Ok so you need to get rid of the coil thats in one of those domes I am assuming this is what you want for a UVB and this would be a good reason hes not eating
this is what you want for a thermometer get 2 of them one for the cool side of the tank and one for the basking side of the tank please take the probe set it where he sits to bask for 10 min or so get the temp they should be 105-110 surface temp not air or ambient temp cool side of the tank should be in the 80's during the day not below 65 at nite -- dragons like it cool and dark
your need get this ASAP
a 24" Zoo Med fixture Zoo Med ReptiSun T5 HO Hood this will come w/a 5.0 bulb keep it for back up distance and placement for this will be different from the bulb you need a 22" Reptisun 10.0 T 5 bulb
or this fixture last I checked Petsmart was now carrying this brand and bulb you can look there but this is another good one
Arcadia Pro T 5 w/ 12% bulb they are out of stock here Arcadia ProT5 12% UVB Bulb With Hood
or this one a Sunblaster Nano Tech this comes w/ a bulb SunBlaster NanoTech T5 HO - Fluorescent Fixture with 6400K Lamp you want the 2ft or 24" fixture
Please get your basking temps in order and one of these UVB's ordered ASAP --- he will not eat w/ out this correct
when you get the UVB please post back on here so I can help you get it placed in the tank they required certain distances and placement depending on your screen
Your basking bulb needs to be a CLEAR bright white bulb No off colored white or yellowish bulbs

Reactions: Lis

Tiff0519

Original Poster
Ok so you need to get rid of the coil thats in one of those domes I am assuming this is what you want for a UVB and this would be a good reason hes not eating
this is what you want for a thermometer get 2 of them one for the cool side of the tank and one for the basking side of the tank please take the probe set it where he sits to bask for 10 min or so get the temp they should be 105-110 surface temp not air or ambient temp cool side of the tank should be in the 80's during the day not below 65 at nite -- dragons like it cool and dark
your need get this ASAP
a 24" Zoo Med fixture Zoo Med ReptiSun T5 HO Hood this will come w/a 5.0 bulb keep it for back up distance and placement for this will be different from the bulb you need a 22" Reptisun 10.0 T 5 bulb
or this fixture last I checked Petsmart was now carrying this brand and bulb you can look there but this is another good one
Arcadia Pro T 5 w/ 12% bulb they are out of stock here Arcadia ProT5 12% UVB Bulb With Hood
or this one a Sunblaster Nano Tech this comes w/ a bulb SunBlaster NanoTech T5 HO - Fluorescent Fixture with 6400K Lamp you want the 2ft or 24" fixture
Please get your basking temps in order and one of these UVB's ordered ASAP --- he will not eat w/ out this correct
when you get the UVB please post back on here so I can help you get it placed in the tank they required certain distances and placement depending on your screen
Your basking bulb needs to be a CLEAR bright white bulb No off colored white or yellowish bulbs
Do you have any examples of a good basking light? I know clear but what watt? Also I can’t seem to find 24” in store anywhere I can only find 18” 20” and 30”

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Do you have any examples of a good basking light? I know clear but what watt? Also I can’t seem to find 24” in store anywhere I can only find 18” 20” and 30”
yep 24" fixtures are hard to find because they are so common and used most often and most pet stores do not carry them -- the website I posted in my earlier post is a good website to get this from they are fast and good they ship Fed Ex -- a good clear basking bulb would be like a Exo Terra Intense NO Infrared -- what size tank is it a 40 gallon ? If so you would need to start w/ a 100 watt Exo Terra® Intense Basking Spot Light | reptile Bulbs & Lamps | PetSmart
if its a 20 gallon tank start w/ a 75 watt but your tank looks like a 40 and you MUST have a digital probe thermometer to get that temp --- you do not want to burn him up -- if you have a Petsmart there see if they have the Arcadia Pro T 5 w/ the 12% bulb --- their website shows they carry them now that is another good UVB --- but more than likely your going to need to order it ---

Tiff0519

Original Poster
yep 24" fixtures are hard to find because they are so common and used most often and most pet stores do not carry them -- the website I posted in my earlier post is a good website to get this from they are fast and good they ship Fed Ex -- a good clear basking bulb would be like a Exo Terra Intense NO Infrared -- what size tank is it a 40 gallon ? If so you would need to start w/ a 100 watt Exo Terra® Intense Basking Spot Light | reptile Bulbs & Lamps | PetSmart
if its a 20 gallon tank start w/ a 75 watt but your tank looks like a 40 and you MUST have a digital probe thermometer to get that temp --- you do not want to burn him up -- if you have a Petsmart there see if they have the Arcadia Pro T 5 w/ the 12% bulb --- their website shows they carry them now that is another good UVB --- but more than likely your going to need to order it ---
I found a 30” hood and the 24” bulb. I’ll attach a photo below! I have a 40gal where do I place it? Also the poop he had yesterday was fairly small and almost diarrhea like. Should I try and give him a bath? If so what temp of water? In the tub? Or.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I found a 30” hood and the 24” bulb. I’ll attach a photo below! I have a 40gal where do I place it? Also the poop he had yesterday was fairly small and almost diarrhea like. Should I try and give him a bath? If so what temp of water? In the tub? Or.
The hood is going to take the 22" bulb the 24" wont work --- did you buy the hood and bulb?

Tiff0519

Original Poster
The hood is going to take the 22" bulb the 24" wont work --- did you buy the hood and bulb?
It says it takes a 24” bulb on the box. I couldn’t find a 22”. The hood is 30” and the bulb is 24”. Also where do is tick the probe? Right now I have it on his tree. That is where he sits most of the day? Or should I put it on the rock he’s on now? Attached is a photo

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    295.2 KB · Views: 113

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
It says it takes a 24” bulb on the box. I couldn’t find a 22”. The hood is 30” and the bulb is 24”. Also where do is tick the probe? Right now I have it on his tree. That is where he sits most of the day? Or should I put it on the rock he’s on now? Attached is a photo
Ok post a pic of the screen please and get a basking temp on the tree and the rock -- let it sit there for 10 min on those spots then look at the temp

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
When I see the screen I can tell you how to place the UVB fixture and the distance for the bulb

Tiff0519

Original Poster
Ok post a pic of the screen please and get a basking temp on the tree and the rock -- let it sit there for 10 min on those spots then look at the temp
The tree was 115 and still slowly raising. I moved it and now it is 107.2

I’m doing the rock now.

Here is my screen, it is like a metal kind of

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    300 KB · Views: 70
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    253.2 KB · Views: 76

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
The tree was 115 and still slowly raising. I moved it and now it is 107.2

I’m doing the rock now.

Here is my screen, it is like a metal kind of
Ok that is a wide hole type I am going to have you place it on the top for now but I want you to watch his behavior --- is the screen really thick or a thinner screen type --- put a piece of basking decor directly under it 8-10 inches and then watch what he does ---- for a few days if he doesnt start showing signs of improvement then I want you to remove the screen so its unobstructed then have your decor piece 12-15 inches under it -- signs of improvement would be eating more more active -- I want him to be able to benefit from the rays in the best position -- will start w/ on top of screen ---- 115 is too hot 107 is good ---- w/ the correct temps and the UVB he should start eating and more active his colors should be better as well --- and his poop should be better as well ----- we can talk about diet but I want those temps and UVB fixed first -- this is going to help w/ the stress level -- NO baths for now --

Tiff0519

Original Poster
Ok that is a wide hole type I am going to have you place it on the top for now but I want you to watch his behavior --- is the screen really thick or a thinner screen type --- put a piece of basking decor directly under it 8-10 inches and then watch what he does ---- for a few days if he doesnt start showing signs of improvement then I want you to remove the screen so its unobstructed then have your decor piece 12-15 inches under it -- signs of improvement would be eating more more active -- I want him to be able to benefit from the rays in the best position -- will start w/ on top of screen ---- 115 is too hot 107 is good ---- w/ the correct temps and the UVB he should start eating and more active his colors should be better as well --- and his poop should be better as well ----- we can talk about diet but I want those temps and UVB fixed first -- this is going to help w/ the stress level -- NO baths for now --
Ok on his rock the temp is 94. I’m putting together the light now

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok on his rock the temp is 94. I’m putting together the light now
Ok the 94 temp is ok watch and see where he basks the most for those temps and let me know about the behavior w/ the UVB here -- it shouldnt take long to show

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom