HELP! New bearded dragon mom

Angelie

So, I’m gearing up to get a new beardie (1st time) I currently have this set up. (Pic will be added) for the UVB I have a zoomed reflective fixture with the reptisun T5 30”in. (It’s mounted inside the cage with zip ties directly above decor) For basking I have the Flukers Dome fixture (supports up to 150watts) with a Reptisun “spot lamp” 100watt bulb sitting directly on the mesh top lid.
My enclosure (oceanic systems reptile lounge) dimensions are 36”in L, 18”in W, 25”in H (Top to Bottom). I have a Thermo Heat gun and Heat probe.
I’m planning on DIY’ing my beardies hides/bridges etc out of foam with polyurethane water based sealant.
My question is how far should the basking/UVB be from the platforms? Please help. Am I doing all this correctly? Thank you.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    192.4 KB · Views: 170
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    278.6 KB · Views: 149
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    224 KB · Views: 143
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    231.8 KB · Views: 154

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
So, I’m gearing up to get a new beardie (1st time) I currently have this set up. (Pic will be added) for the UVB I have a zoomed reflective fixture with the reptisun T5 30”in. (It’s mounted inside the cage with zip ties directly above decor) For basking I have the Flukers Dome fixture (supports up to 150watts) with a Reptisun “spot lamp” 100watt bulb sitting directly on the mesh top lid.
My enclosure (oceanic systems reptile lounge) dimensions are 36”in L, 18”in W, 25”in H (Top to Bottom). I have a Thermo Heat gun and Heat probe.
I’m planning on DIY’ing my beardies hides/bridges etc out of foam with polyurethane water based sealant.
My question is how far should the basking/UVB be from the platforms? Please help. Am I doing all this correctly? Thank you.
Yes your off to a great start ---- the UVB should 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor -- you want surface basking temps taken w/ the digital probe thermometer temps the probe needs to be placed on the spot where he/ she is going to sit for basking and it should be 105-110-- I would get another digital probe thermometer for the cool side of the tank 80's during the day -- I would not make those platforms permanent you want to be able to move them -- heating and lighting issues that may come up -- also consider upgrading to a 4x2x2 tank in the future a full size dragon needs the floor space and a larger tank ---

Angelie

Original Poster
Yes your off to a great start ---- the UVB should 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor -- you want surface basking temps taken w/ the digital probe thermometer temps the probe needs to be placed on the spot where he/ she is going to sit for basking and it should be 105-110-- I would get another digital probe thermometer for the cool side of the tank 80's during the day -- I would not make those platforms permanent you want to be able to move them -- heating and lighting issues that may come up -- also consider upgrading to a 4x2x2 tank in the future a full size dragon needs the floor space and a larger tank ---
Thanks for getting back to me so quickly! Yes most definitely will be making the hides/platforms removable and adjustable. I spent 100$ on this tank which I was told was 75gallons but after researching I’m not confident that it is. I will be upgrading to a 120G once my hatchling gets big enough.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Thanks for getting back to me so quickly! Yes most definitely will be making the hides/platforms removable and adjustable. I spent 100$ on this tank which I was told was 75gallons but after researching I’m not confident that it is. I will be upgrading to a 120G once my hatchling gets big enough.
They were close its a 70 gallon tank -- so she can be in that for awhile but the height is only a inch over from the 120 gallon tank but it looks taller -- I would keep the basking decor lower babies love to jump and we dont want her missing and falling and getting hurt

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom