Help Needed From Owners (For Research)

beardiexyz

Hi guys,

I’m conducting some research for some work I’m doing on bearded dragons and I would really appreciate the help of as many owners as possible.

I’m researching what is the average age bearded dragons live to in captivity.

This is extremely important as a lot of information available at the moment is thought to be inaccurate and if we can collect real-world data from real owners we can have a better understanding.

If anybody has owned a beardie in the past that has sadly passed away I would really appreciate it if you could:
A: State the age they sadly passed away
B: State the reasons, for example, old age or what illness etc.

I understand that this might be upsetting for some owners, so please only reply if you feel comfortable doing so.

Your input will be extremely valuable and will help to provide accurate data to how long beardies really live in captivity, rather than a lot of guesswork that isn’t backed up by any real-world data.

Thanks in advance for your help.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Cooper was approximately 2 and a half when he died. He died from neuroendocrine gastrinoma.

Dundee was approximately 6 and a half when he died. This was a result of mistreatment and inadequate care for most of his life. His exact cause of death was likely kidney failure.

I think with a lot of them, there is incomplete or unknown data about their hatch date. I was told that my current dragon was "about 1" when I got him but he was a malnourished adult so it was hard to tell his age based on his size. I think this sort of thing is fairly common and something to keep in mind as you collect your data.

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie name(s)
Daisy, Loki, Rocket, Phoenix, Mulder & Scully. Non beardie pets: Stan (Leo) Cayde (Hognose) Tillery (cat)
My first dragon, Cisco, was around 3-5 years old when she sadly passed away. (I’m not exactly sure on her age as she was a adult rescue) I still have no exact idea what she died of, but my best guess is dystocia or egg binding. She had been acting really sick for a few weeks until she passed away in September 22nd, 2018, while my family and I were on a vacation far out of town. We brought the beardies with us. So I’d say she died of mysterious causes (we chose not to get an autopsy done, it was hard enough as it was and ended up just burying her.).

My 2nd dragon, Thor, who actually passed away first, I had him for around 8 months total, he was 2-3 years old. He was a special needs rescue who I bought knowing he probably wouldn’t live long, but I have him a loving home and rehabbed him as best as I could for the time I had with him. He had a lot of issues (I won’t go into it here but I can link a detailed thread I made about him here: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=247278&hilit=+Thor ) he died of overall organ failure and kidney failure, we had to put him down because he was too far gone. Most of his issues and special needs led to that I believe.

I hope this helps somewhat to your research!

Fordispreme

Hi guys,

I’m conducting some research for some work I’m doing on bearded dragons and I would really appreciate the help of as many owners as possible.

I’m researching what is the average age bearded dragons live to in captivity.

This is extremely important as a lot of information available at the moment is thought to be inaccurate and if we can collect real-world data from real owners we can have a better understanding.

If anybody has owned a beardie in the past that has sadly passed away I would really appreciate it if you could:
A: State the age they sadly passed away
B: State the reasons, for example, old age or what illness etc.

I understand that this might be upsetting for some owners, so please only reply if you feel comfortable doing so.

Your input will be extremely valuable and will help to provide accurate data to how long beardies really live in captivity, rather than a lot of guesswork that isn’t backed up by any real-world data. This paper will be co-written with https://edubirdie.com/pay-for-research-papers and then published as a short study. We will then provide.

Thanks in advance for your help.

It so happened that we took several dragons at once and they were about the same age at that time. They lived a total of 4 years and died for different reasons. Although we had them for a year and a half, but they became full-fledged members of the family. We did not find out the cause of their death, but most likely it was dystocia.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
My first dragon puff passed at 3 1/2.
To the best of my knowledge she was injured by a house guest that was obsessed with her. Said house guest was a drunk and miss handled her after we went to bed.
My second passed also at 3 1/2 the vet said she had suffered unrecoverable reproductive problems and put her to sleep.

lolakarpa

My first dragon, Cisco, was around 3-5 years old when she sadly passed away. (I’m not exactly sure on her age as she was a adult rescue) I still have no exact idea what she died of, but my best guess is dystocia or egg binding. She had been acting really sick for a few weeks until she passed away in September 22nd, 2018, while my family and I were on a vacation far out of town. We brought the beardies with us. So I’d say she died of mysterious causes (we chose not to get an autopsy done, it was hard enough as it was and ended up just burying her.).

My 2nd dragon, Thor, who actually passed away first, I had him for around 8 months total, he was 2-3 years old. He was a special needs rescue who I bought knowing he probably wouldn’t live long, but I have him a loving home and rehabbed him as best as I could for the time I had with him. He had a lot of issues (I won’t go into it here but I can link a detailed thread I made about him here: https://rapidessay.com/ he died of overall organ failure and kidney failure, we had to put him down because he was too far gone. Most of his issues and special needs led to that I believe.
What a sad story!

Last edited:

lolakarpa

My 2nd dragon, Thor, who actually passed away first, I had him for around 8 months total, he was 2-3 years old. He was a special needs rescue who I bought knowing he probably wouldn’t live long, but I have him a loving home and rehabbed him as best as I could for the time I had with him. He had a lot of issues (I won’t go into it here but I can link a detailed thread I made about him here:https://www.jpost.com/promocontent/6-best-write-my-essay-services-719471) he died of overall organ failure and kidney failure, we had to put him down because he was too far gone. Most of his issues and special needs led to that I believe.

What a sad story!
It's a drama! :cry:

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Really it is, karma came calling, that same person tried to commit suicide and botched it up, she shot herself but only hit her tongue and throat, she lived but can't talk now. Off color i know but it is the truth, and i have trouble feeling sorry for her.

markucev

Beardie name(s)
Hulk

My 2nd dragon, Thor, who actually passed away first, I had him for around 8 months total, he was 2-3 years old. He was a special needs rescue who I bought knowing he probably wouldn’t live long, but I have him a loving home and rehabbed him as best as I could for the time I had with him. He had a lot of issues (I won’t go into it here but I can link a detailed thread I made about him here: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=247278&hilit=+Thor ) he died of overall organ failure and kidney failure, we had to put him down because he was too far gone. Most of his issues and special needs led to that I believe. goodmenproject

I sympathize with you very much. It's sad, I'm afraid to imagine that sooner or later I have to say goodbye to my Hulk.

JLynn87

Hatchling Member
Lady Mufasa died at 2 y/o complications from adenovirus. I chose to euthanize after a yr of continuous declining health and quality of of life.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom