Help needed, dead baby and possibly sick juvie. (poop pics)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CiaraAlexisOnFire

Juvie Member
Hello. I first want to say I've owned a couple bearded dragons for many years and never had had problems like this before. I'm aware of the proper temps, diet, UVB, etc. *A vet visit will be taken care of!* I'm sorry for the length of this post, but I must get into details.

My friend who lived with me bought a bearded dragon from petsmart even though I highly advised against it. His name was ziggy. It seemed like a really healthy baby at first. His diet was crickets and greens for the first few weeks, then when he was interested we fed dubias and greens with the occasional worms for treats. It was a little strange to me because he would throw up sometimes after eating bugs. This happened about 2 or 3 times over the course of 4 months. We assumed he just ate too fast so we slowed down his feeding from then on. His poop looked healthy and he always ate greens. Aside from throwing up twice he seemed fine but he had a weird indented brown scab looking thing (small) on the bottom of his tail. I assumed it was just a scab so thought nothing of it.

This morning About 3 hours after ziggy's lights have been turned on, I went to check on him. I found him dead. He was upside down, black beard, and he spit out some chewed up roaches. The roach size was not bigger than the space of his eyes.

Can anyone guess what happened? Does the brown scab and vomit indicate an infection of some sort? Parasite? I realize him coming from petsmart has a lot to do with it. Any guesses are appreciated. He was about 6 or 7 months old.

Now about the Juvie

The Juvie's name is long, so let's call him Vice. Now I don't know if I'm just being over scared because of the babie's death, but I'd like some feedback. Like I said, A vet visit has been scheduled.

Vice Is healthy, eats healthy, good weight, sheds fine. But today about an hour ago I checked on Vice and he was very dehydrated. His head was sunk in (like how it happens when they're dehydrated). He is usually really good at keeping hydrated. I gave him a bath and he started to drink water but his eyes kind of... rolled in the back of his head? And he had his body in a very odd position. Not arching his back, but... I don't know, it just looked weird. He went to the bathroom in his water and I saw what looked like a peice of undigested roach which you will see in the photos. His poop had a greenish tint to it.

So my question is, do you think Vice caught something from ziggy? They were never together, but they were fed in the same feeding container.

Thank you so much for any advice or thoughts.

This is the piece of what I think is undigested roach. It looks like part of the little plate they have on their backs.
I4tu3Zm.jpg

And here is his greenish tinted bathroom stuff.
r9axwuz.jpg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi Ciara....I'm sorry about poor Ziggy. :( I don't think that the little scab had anything to do with it. We can only guess what the scab was from. There's no way to tell what he died from either...it may have had the atadenovirus or something. If you're sure that the insects were appropriate size, then you can rule that out, too. As for Vice, he could pick up a virus from Ziggy if it's eating in the same container, but again....these are just possible scenarios. Just keep this baby hydrated, offer water via syringe to see if he'll take it that way. Hopefully it's just a coincidence that he seems a little bit " off " and is something he will bounce back from. Best wishes to you [ and to Vice ] :)

CiaraAlexisOnFire

Juvie Member
Original Poster
AHBD":jpvylru1 said:
Hi Ciara....I'm sorry about poor Ziggy. :( I don't think that the little scab had anything to do with it. We can only guess what the scab was from. There's no way to tell what he died from either...it may have had the atadenovirus or something. If you're sure that the insects were appropriate size, then you can rule that out, too. As for Vice, he could pick up a virus from Ziggy if it's eating in the same container, but again....these are just possible scenarios. Just keep this baby hydrated, offer water via syringe to see if he'll take it that way. Hopefully it's just a coincidence that he seems a little bit " off " and is something he will bounce back from. Best wishes to you [ and to Vice ] :)

Thank you, he seems to be doing better today. We'll see what the vet says!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom