Help! My beardies nose is turning black!

Status
Not open for further replies.
111801-146563678.jpg
Sobek's nose just started turning black. I dont know what the problem is. Shes 4-5 months old. It started soon after I brought her back inside. Does anybody know whats going on???

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Have you tried washing it off? Was she rubbing her nose in the dirt outside ? Being shes so young I would advise not taking her outside unless you have her ins something like plastic tote NO glass or some sort of pen so she does not get away from you -- they are very fast and can easily get under things you cant get to-- how long have you had her and where did you get her from?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok was there something black in the tote- she could of been rubbing her nose on the sides of the tote- were you w/ her the whole time? I would let her acclimate to her tank and surroundings before you take her out anymore shes really little- what are you using for a UVB please--- No COILS-- they are no good-- no colored bulbs no heat mats or rocks please and no sand--- basking temps need to be taken w/ a digital probe thermometer- stick ons are inaccurate--

Sarahm42006

Original Poster
The tote was clean. I gave her a bath in it. No soap though. I never use soap. I was with her. I'm using one of those long stick ones. I use coconut bark not sand. I'll be switching to carpet when I get her a bigger tank. Right now I have her in a 40 gallon.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Long stick ? You mean long tube? Please look on the bulb and tell me brand and bulb look for T 8 or T 5- they have certain distance and placement that is crucial- the coconut bark does it have sharp edges on the pieces? If it does if she ingest one of those it could be fatal- I am going to flag your post about the nose to ahbd and Tracie she is the vet tech mod on here -

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok so if you have a wide holed type- it can stay on top of screen basking decor directly underneath 8-10 inches-- fine screen mesh it needs to go inside the tank or be unobstructed 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is very odd regarding the darkness on her snout. I agree with Karrie, it is possible she
rubbed her nose on the mesh too much, & it has scabbed up possibly?
It does not rinse off in a bath either?
Have you been feeding her any baby foods, or other foods with a dropper or syringe that could
have dried up on her snout?
The Reptisun 10 T5 tube is a great bulb. Be sure to have it 12 or so inches from her if you place
it on the underneath side of the screen top. How far is her basking light from her?

Tracie

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is kind of what I was expecting....so that is great news it is all gone! I agree, it was
most likely food. At least it wasn't a rostril injury then!

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom