Help!! My beardie is suddenly showing signs of MBD.

hannahworrell

Beardie name(s)
Jupiter
Hey, I’ve had my girl for almost 2 months now and when I got her she was very underweight (her spine poked out), they only fed her pelets and her enclosure was not the best. Yesterday morning (9/12) I took her out of her cage, as I always do, and let her run freely in my room for about an hour before noticing her beard turning black so I placed her back into her cage thinking she was stressed and walked away. When I went to check on her a couple hours later she was unable to move and all 4 of her legs were pinned back, she has a curve at the end of her spine as her body is curved to the right. She cannot move anything other then her eyes, she will wiggle around a little bit but other than that, she looks as if she is paralyzed. I cannot afford to bring her to the vet as the cheapest one will only see her after taking blood and an x-ray- that being an $800 walk in fee.
I do not know what to do for her, i’ve tried soaking her in warm hoping that would ease her pain a little bit but she just seems lifeless. The uvb light is 10.0 and her basking light is 100-110. They are bulbs in a light fixture above her cage which I understand is not ideal at all.
I’m just really confused as to how something like this could happen within just a couple of hours. I do not want to get rid of her but if the best thing for her would be for me to give her to a rescue or somewhere where they can treat her I will do that.
Does anyone have recommendations that could help??

Last edited:

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 4 and Blaze is 3
Hey, I’ve had my girl for almost 2 months now and when I got her she was very underweight (her spine poked out), they only fed her pelets and her enclosure was not the best. Yesterday morning (9/13) I took her out of her cage, as I always do, and let her run freely in my room for about an hour before noticing her beard turning black so I placed her back into her cage thinking she was stressed and walked away. When I went to check on her a couple hours later she was unable to move and all 4 of her legs were pinned back, she has a curve at the end of her spine as her body is curved to the right. She cannot move anything other then her eyes, she will wiggle around a little bit but other than that, she looks as if she is paralyzed. I cannot afford to bring her to the vet as the cheapest one will only see her after taking blood and an x-ray- that being an $800 walk in fee.
I do not know what to do for her, i’ve tried soaking her in warm hoping that would ease her pain a little bit but she just seems lifeless. The uvb light is 10.0 and her basking light is 100-110. They are bulbs in a light fixture above her cage which I understand is not ideal at all.
I’m just really confused as to how something like this could happen within just a couple of hours. I do not want to get rid of her but if the best thing for her would be for me to give her to a rescue or somewhere where they can treat her I will do that.
Does anyone have recommendations that could help??

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Are you using a coil UVB? If so please get rid of it --- get her outside for some good UVB for now - place her on you or in a plastic tote NO glass - watch her do not leave her --- 30 min or so -- I dont know how hot it is there but you need to supervise her if you use a tote --- in the meantime please get a long tube fixture - Zoo Med 24" fixture for a 40+ gallon tank w/a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 -- or a Arcadia Pro T 5 w/ a 12% bulb ---

hannahworrell

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Jupiter
Are you using a coil UVB? If so please get rid of it --- get her outside for some good UVB for now - place her on you or in a plastic tote NO glass - watch her do not leave her --- 30 min or so -- I dont know how hot it is there but you need to supervise her if you use a tote --- in the meantime please get a long tube fixture - Zoo Med 24" fixture for a 40+ gallon tank w/a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 -- or a Arcadia Pro T 5 w/ a 12% bulb ---
Thanks for your help.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Jupiter has passed but I appreciate your help.
I am so sorry to hear about her --- I wish people would do more research on dragons -- we hear of these stories all the time --- and its heart breaking to hear this -- if you need more help in the future please post on here and we can help -- there are a lot of people on the forum that can help you -- again I am so sorry

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I am so sorry to hear you lost little Jupiter' so suddenly. :cry: It is never easy to lose one but
especially when it is so unexpected.

Tracie

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

setting up a tank for a garter snake in a few months!!
Trying to finish setting up my beardie tank. Just gotta connect it to the power.
Okay lol so as I was told my baby was a boy when I rescued him hehe well I took him to my vet and was advised he is a she ! I was thinking of renaming her to Virgo from Toothless any suggestions for names 😊🥰
I am new and looking for a teen beardie. I have been doing a lot of research for about 2 years.
I'm new here but not new to dragons or snakes. Over the 7 years. I opened my heart and home to neglected. unwanted dras and snakes, some critical conditions. Then nursing them back to health and their final family home. I regularly help my reptiles vet with emergency appointments and I also provide the care in my little quenteen,

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abby2121
Top Bottom