Help!! My beardie is suddenly showing signs of MBD.

hannahworrell

Beardie name(s)
Jupiter
Hey, I’ve had my girl for almost 2 months now and when I got her she was very underweight (her spine poked out), they only fed her pelets and her enclosure was not the best. Yesterday morning (9/12) I took her out of her cage, as I always do, and let her run freely in my room for about an hour before noticing her beard turning black so I placed her back into her cage thinking she was stressed and walked away. When I went to check on her a couple hours later she was unable to move and all 4 of her legs were pinned back, she has a curve at the end of her spine as her body is curved to the right. She cannot move anything other then her eyes, she will wiggle around a little bit but other than that, she looks as if she is paralyzed. I cannot afford to bring her to the vet as the cheapest one will only see her after taking blood and an x-ray- that being an $800 walk in fee.
I do not know what to do for her, i’ve tried soaking her in warm hoping that would ease her pain a little bit but she just seems lifeless. The uvb light is 10.0 and her basking light is 100-110. They are bulbs in a light fixture above her cage which I understand is not ideal at all.
I’m just really confused as to how something like this could happen within just a couple of hours. I do not want to get rid of her but if the best thing for her would be for me to give her to a rescue or somewhere where they can treat her I will do that.
Does anyone have recommendations that could help??

Last edited:

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hey, I’ve had my girl for almost 2 months now and when I got her she was very underweight (her spine poked out), they only fed her pelets and her enclosure was not the best. Yesterday morning (9/13) I took her out of her cage, as I always do, and let her run freely in my room for about an hour before noticing her beard turning black so I placed her back into her cage thinking she was stressed and walked away. When I went to check on her a couple hours later she was unable to move and all 4 of her legs were pinned back, she has a curve at the end of her spine as her body is curved to the right. She cannot move anything other then her eyes, she will wiggle around a little bit but other than that, she looks as if she is paralyzed. I cannot afford to bring her to the vet as the cheapest one will only see her after taking blood and an x-ray- that being an $800 walk in fee.
I do not know what to do for her, i’ve tried soaking her in warm hoping that would ease her pain a little bit but she just seems lifeless. The uvb light is 10.0 and her basking light is 100-110. They are bulbs in a light fixture above her cage which I understand is not ideal at all.
I’m just really confused as to how something like this could happen within just a couple of hours. I do not want to get rid of her but if the best thing for her would be for me to give her to a rescue or somewhere where they can treat her I will do that.
Does anyone have recommendations that could help??

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Are you using a coil UVB? If so please get rid of it --- get her outside for some good UVB for now - place her on you or in a plastic tote NO glass - watch her do not leave her --- 30 min or so -- I dont know how hot it is there but you need to supervise her if you use a tote --- in the meantime please get a long tube fixture - Zoo Med 24" fixture for a 40+ gallon tank w/a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 -- or a Arcadia Pro T 5 w/ a 12% bulb ---

hannahworrell

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Jupiter
Are you using a coil UVB? If so please get rid of it --- get her outside for some good UVB for now - place her on you or in a plastic tote NO glass - watch her do not leave her --- 30 min or so -- I dont know how hot it is there but you need to supervise her if you use a tote --- in the meantime please get a long tube fixture - Zoo Med 24" fixture for a 40+ gallon tank w/a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 -- or a Arcadia Pro T 5 w/ a 12% bulb ---
Thanks for your help.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Jupiter has passed but I appreciate your help.
I am so sorry to hear about her --- I wish people would do more research on dragons -- we hear of these stories all the time --- and its heart breaking to hear this -- if you need more help in the future please post on here and we can help -- there are a lot of people on the forum that can help you -- again I am so sorry

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I am so sorry to hear you lost little Jupiter' so suddenly. :cry: It is never easy to lose one but
especially when it is so unexpected.

Tracie

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom