HELP my BD Fen got outside!!

My son had let our BD Fen out of his enclosure because he was scratching to get out (he does this at a certain time of day or if he sees someone). It was a windy afternoon at our house and my son went to rescue his tent from flying away. He went out into the backyard closing the front door and the gate to go to our backyard after, BUT didn’t realize the front door hadn’t closed all the way. Fen followed him and went out the front door!! My son said it was a matter of minutes and he was gone.
Now, four days later still no sign of Fen! I’ve turned my house upside down room by room closing doors behind me, he’s for sure not in the house, definitely went outside!! I’ve canvassed my yard every single morning and afternoon since Tuesday. I’ve walked up and down our little town hoping to spot him. I’ve put posters on telephone poles, neighbours houses and the mail boxes (which Canada Post have removed 😡). I’ve put his enclosure in my carport with a heat lamp on, a water dish just in case, some food and something that smells like me. I’ve even been walking around at night (when I know he won’t be moving) with a flashlight hoping to spot him, but still nothing.

I’ve had very little sleep and am worried beyond words. I’m trying to stay positive and hopeful he will be found or find his way home to me 😢 What else can I do?? Anything??

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I hate to hear that, it is very stressful when this happens. Essentially all you can do is try to keep
posters & signs up, as well as talk to neighbors, etc.
Do you have any birds of prey there, or any other animals, etc in your area that could have possibly
gotten him? Hopefully not, he may have just crawled under the house, or somewhere nearby as they
typically do.
How is the weather there right now?

We are hoping for a good ending for you both!
Keep us posted on the situation.

Tracie

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Are you absolutely sure he got outside? They can hide in very small places. I would set up a basking area and uvb light in the house and leave it on for a few days 24-7 if he is still inside maybe he will come out to bask. Beardies can be really timid when they are scared or stressed, so he may have hunkered down somewhere. They can go a long time without food so it may take a while before hunger would drive him out.
I would leave his favorite insects in an escape proof container. Count them so you know if he gets into them.
I hope you find him and he is well and safe

RangoRocky

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Rango Rocky Balboa
I would check in spots you think don’t make sense as well like under clothes, closets, behind the fridge, in the sofa. As far as outside check bushes if you have them. Or anywhere with shade

heatherward7

Original Poster
Are you absolutely sure he got outside? They can hide in very small places. I would set up a basking area and uvb light in the house and leave it on for a few days 24-7 if he is still inside maybe he will come out to bask. Beardies can be really timid when they are scared or stressed, so he may have hunkered down somewhere. They can go a long time without food so it may take a while before hunger would drive him out.
I would leave his favorite insects in an escape proof container. Count them so you know if he gets into them.
I hope you find him and he is well and safe
100% he is not in my house. I searched room by room, every nook and cranny in each space, starting at one end to the other. I live in a fairly small house and there isn’t really any hiding spots for him except in shoes or closets (which he is not in). I took out my washer, dryer, fridge, stove, moved couches, moved the piano (took the back off to see if he was inside the piano), emptied closet's completely in every room, and still no sign of him.

I have his home open and the lights on (have the entire time) and will keep them on. I have left worms out for him and some fresh veggies, not one is missing :( I’ve also set up a heat light and his cave outside.

heatherward7

Original Poster
I would check in spots you think don’t make sense as well like under clothes, closets, behind the fridge, in the sofa. As far as outside check bushes if you have them. Or anywhere with shade
Yes did all that and more, been checking my yard, all my neighbours yards and walking around till dark and still no sign of him :(

heatherward7

Original Poster
Hello,

I hate to hear that, it is very stressful when this happens. Essentially all you can do is try to keep
posters & signs up, as well as talk to neighbors, etc.
Do you have any birds of prey there, or any other animals, etc in your area that could have possibly
gotten him? Hopefully not, he may have just crawled under the house, or somewhere nearby as they
typically do.
How is the weather there right now?

We are hoping for a good ending for you both!
Keep us posted on the situation.

Tracie
I know :( I've been out everyday looking and praying he will either be found or make his way home safely. I went and searched three more neighbours yards this morning first thing. I put flyers in my neighbours mailboxes. Also the town workers here are all keeping an eye out for him. We do have birds, but not big ones right where I live. Eagles further away, but I'm hoping he's not gone too far and he's just found a safe place to hide right now. It's been warm here the past couple of days, rain today, and this coming week the temp is suppose to climb. Which I hope will bring him out of hiding and he will be sunning and easier to spot. All the homes around me are on slabs so we are good there, but lots of bushes to hide under. I've been pretty much on my knees lifting everything up and taking a flashlight to all dark areas.

It's very stressful I'm sure for him as well as myself. I'm just praying I'm doing everything I can to help him find his way home.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
I feel so bad for you , and him. I hope you find him safe and sound.
Look a bit higher up also, they are semi-arborial. If there are fence post or bushes ect he can climb, you may catch him up a bit higher basking

heatherward7

Original Poster
I feel so bad for you , and him. I hope you find him safe and sound.
Look a bit higher up also, they are semi-arborial. If there are fence post or bushes ect he can climb, you may catch him up a bit higher basking
Ok I didn’t know they were semi-arboreal so I will definitely check a little higher up in the bushes. I hope he makes it back safe and sound too :( miss my little guy!

Rocky2022

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Rocky, Ruby
Hoping everything turns out well...my heart aches for what you are going through right now but remaining hopeful. I want to believe that he is scared and will come out really soon.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Please check the driveway sidewalk in the morning when the sun comes up they have often been found there sunning themselves warming up

heatherward7

Original Poster
So as of Tuesday it had been a week. Fendawg was spotted two doors down sunning in the front yard when the owner went by with the mower and came to a stop right in front of him. He said the lizard didn’t move just looked at him. When he went to pick him up he scurried into the hedge. He called me right away, but we couldn’t find him :(

I took over his cave, made a small enclosure for it to go into with some dried food, berries and mixed greens. But still no sign of Fendawg. My neighbours have been checking their yard a couple times a day along with me going over before and after work plus checking a couple times in the evening. I’m also still looking in other places as well as my other neighbours keeping a look out just in case he’s travelled to another yard.

I will take any advice or try anything else to bring him out of hiding and get him home. I miss my little guy 😢

smaugthebeardie3756

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Smaug
I'm so sorry this has happened. It is one of my biggest fears. The fact that he was spotted a couple of days ago is a good sign though. I just saw a story over on Reddit about a bearded dragon that got left behind in a condo fire and was found a week and a half later chilling on the golf course, so there is still hope. Sending good vibes your way!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

No sign of him again? Wow he went into a hedge but you couldn't find him? I am sure that he
is stressed, poor thing.
I hope you are able to get to him before something else does.

Tracie

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Daniefran04
Top Bottom