help me teach my female Bearded Dragon math

Status
Not open for further replies.

hembreeservices

On September the 12th my female laid 21 eggs. I put them in the incubator and they are all fertile with plenty of veins. Today on the 5th of October she laid 25 more eggs and they are white as snow. The total time between the two times as been 23 days. The female is supposed to carry the eggs for five weeks and incubate for 60 to 75 days with the temp at 85 degrees and the humidity between 70 to 100 percent. Now my incubator is over full and I will need to go get another one. How often does this happen? My son wanted reptiles for a pet but I got cold blooded rabbits. The cage is custom built and has more than enough space to separate them but I do not want to. Can I slow this down with temp or lighting time or do I need to teach the female math. One more thing that male is in there bobbing his head so hard his feat are coming of the ground.

john_ny217

Juvie Member
well your not supposed to keep two bearded dragons together, especially if you didnt want babies. If you wanted babies you would put the male in there only while being supervised and after you confirmed that she was pregnant he would go right back into his own enclosure. He is going to keep bobbing his head and trying to get it from her as long as he is in the same enclosure with her, which will naturally stress her out and could possibly cause serious harm to her.

so really there is only 1 solution.....SEPARATE THEM!

:)

LJean

Extreme Poster
I don't know much about beardie egg laying, just that I heard they can lay 3-4 clutches from one pairing. ;)

I too suggest seperating them. They may continue to mate otherwise.

auntylolo

Extreme Poster
I must agree with John, nature says that boys and girls will get it on and make babies! She also needs space and time to get over the ordeal of making and laying eggs - imagine you had just given birth and then your partner wanted his needs satisfying straight away! Happy you would not be!
Also, it's possible your girl may have another clutch to come so it might be an idea to freeze some of the eggs.

hembreeservices

Original Poster
This thread needs to go deeper. In the wild BD just don't go at it like rabbits. They have a mating season. Is it possible to control the breeding habits by controlling their temp and daylight time? The cage I have is on timers for light and thermostat for heat. The thermostats are in three places and therefore I can even control the temp in just the basking area. The cage has four lights 2 uvb, 1 basking, and one florescent all on separate timers. Let’s look at this from a scientific stand point. Theories are welcome.

Poisoned1

Gray-bearded Member
Hembree lets also look at it this way...

In the wild you have what? About 300-500 miles? In a little home you have about 5 feet?

Females can hide in the wild from males, in a little home they can't...

Hope that helps.

LJean

Extreme Poster
I thought in general breeding season started when the beardies wake up from brumation. So say from spring until into fall. That is a lot of time for the male to be excited.

SunshineLollipop

Hatchling Member
hembreeservices":e68c8 said:
In the wild BD just don't go at it like rabbits. They have a mating season. Is it possible to control the breeding habits by controlling their temp and daylight time?
You poor thing, inundated with eggs eggs & - yes - even more eggs! They lay 3 to 4 clutches of eggs per season with up to 25 per clutch, usually every 20 -25 days. Apart from your incubator being full, if u look up about hatchlings & their care, it's best not to have more than 5 littlies in together. They can't go in with the adults as they'll get eaten (trust me, they do eat them), & they can't be sold until they're 6 - 8 weeks old, with each hatchling eating up to 100 baby crickets / day. That's all just in case u weren't aware.
As for "in the wild" - their mating season is from early Spring straight after Brumation, thru in to Summer (& yes, whenever they can find it - so if they can find it all the time they'll go for it). The only way to prevent them from breeding is to keep them in a constant state of Brumation, which isn't a healthy option. Best way to avoid it is to keep them seperated as suggested.
Hope it all works out! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jelynnm
Top Bottom