Help me set malnourished dragons new diet

Status
Not open for further replies.

mark83

Hatchling Member
So haven't been on here in a while but I found myself rescuing another dragon and this
is the first place I thought to go to for advice I can trust.

My question is about proper diet for an undersized dragon. I know that the protein to
vege ratio moves towards veges with maturity but not sure how to handle that with
a dragon that appears to be 6 months old but according to previous owners is over a
year. Do I feed a protein rich diet fit for a 6 month old due to her size or should I still
base her diet on her approximate age?

Right now shes getting baby food squash, chicken(via a baby tylenol syringe) and fresh
collard greens. She eats with a vengeance though so I have no doubt she will eat
whatever I offer. She doesn't appear to be suffering from mbd or any other ailments.

If any of you have an actual regimen that you use or have used on an undersized dragon
that would be awesome.

Thanks for reading

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there....well, how big exactly is this dragon ? Do you have a picture, or can you get the length/weight ? It's always good to mention the size of the animal when you have questions about feeding. It's really a plus that he likes what you're feeding him, and I think you can safely add insects to his diet at least twice a week, then go to 3X a week if he's eating well. But a picture would help greatly, or posting his actual size.

mark83

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I would estimate her to be 8 inches tail not included. I'll need to pick up a cheap postal scale so I can get weight.

KDK241

Hatchling Member
I rescued a 3 year old about a month ago and have been feeding him insects and veggies daily until he's up to a normal weight. I fed him as many bugs as he wanted 2x a day for the first couple weeks but then he stopped eating his salad so I cut it back to once a day. He's about 15" including tail and has been steadily gaining weight.

You can get a kitchen scale at Target or Walmart for around $20, they are great for weighing beardies. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom