Help me please!!, a New Reg. User with New Beardie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Botha

Hi, My name is Jacqui Botha, married to Rudi Botha and mother of 2 children, 2 dogs, 2 cats, 50 fresh water fish and now, mother of one beautiful Beardie!!

My beardie's name is "Rango".

He/or she as I still dont know,
was baught at a pet shop yesterday morning with a new large wooden glass door cage with the the UV light and infro red heating light, a heating pad covered with sand on one side, a water bawl, small container with veggies as suggested by many sites, and hidden cave, rocks and a wood log for him to climb up higher and closer to the Bulbs. The cage is well ventillated with "tea cup ring" size Air vents on all 4 corners in mesh. The cage gets well warm quicly with the lights and heating and works very well.

He/She is "14" inches or 36cm in size, and ate 7 smallish crickets yesterday, No veggies, drank no water apart from a few drops (20) dripped off from my finger and was a bit scared I thought mostly hiding behind cave. Late afternoon, I realized she wass gasping a bit with a mouth open wile lying underneath the infro red heating bulb.

During this first day, I switched off the heating pad, but left the UV light and infro red heating light on. Switching the heating light off for 20 minutes at a time when she was gasping. At bed time, I switched the UV light off, left the heating pad off and only left the infro red heating light on. And went to bed.

This morning, Rango was very still hardly moving, pick her up and she hardly moved anything, She felt very dry, her skin. I was very worried, then put her on the sand and frew in 9 crickets in front of her. Then finally she/He got some life and ate all 9 quickly, placed the water bowl in front of Rango, still no drinking, dropped a few more drops above her mouth, but no luck in swallowing it, didnt open his/her mouth. Dripped a few more drops on the dry body and rubbed the moist in with my fingers. Half hour later I realized she is starting to shed from her legs and nails up towards the body and is getting very active now tapping at the window glass looking at us.

Then just a few seconds ago realized apart from eating 16 or so crickets in about 23 hours all together since I got he/her, Rango still hasnt drank water by itself, still hasnt eaten any of the veggies I placed in front of it, still hasnt made any wee or poo!! Will in the next few minutes try some corn and papaya to see if that works.

Our enviroment where we live is in southern Drakensberg, South Africa at about 1565 metes (5165 feet) above sea level and as it is now winter, it is a cold place, with tempreture in our house dropping to about 4 degrees Celsius (39/40 F Degrees) during 10pm - 07:00am and rissing to about 17 degrees celsius (61/62 F degrees) during mid day. Outside of house, allot colder. In the cage, I have no moniter for degrees as in yet, but it is warm when i place my hand in!

The petshop we bought her: The owner only recently started selling them and could not provide us with allot of info on it. There were 3 beardie's all the same size, Rango we chose was most active with no funny spots or illness we could see. She was in a vey cleen enviroment.

Now, my questions:
1) Is there annything you can note from the above that sounds bad or is wrong?
2) Is it normal not to have made NO poo or wee after 23 hours?
3) Is it normal that she wont eat any veggies as in yet?
4) Is it normal that she hasnt drank any water as in yet?
5) How do I tell her/his gender?
6) Can anyone guess it's age from the size? as we have no idea.
7) gasping with mouth open, is there any other reason to do so apart from getting to hot?
8) Am I turning off heat and bulbs off/on correctly? When should the heating pad be left on?
9) How close should the Rock/wood stump be to the UV and Heating bulb for him to lay on?
10) Having 2 more mates in one cage at the petshop, and now having none, would it cause a diferent behaviour such as lonlyness.

Please can any or many respond to my questions and above info to help me tell what to do, what am I doing right and what wrong?

Your help will be much apreciated.

I will try to aploud some pictures of cage and beardie soon!!

Thank you so much and for having me registered on this site!

great regards

Jacqui Botha

wckdbtch

Hatchling Member
Hi Jacqui! Another South African - that's good to see! Welcome to the forum. You will find a lot of information on these boards.

1) Is there annything you can note from the above that sounds bad or is wrong?

As you only got Rango yesterday, he/she is most likely suffering from relocation stress to start with. They go through a period of anything between a few days and a week or two where they first have to get used to their new environment. The second thing I've noticed in your description is the infrared heat lamp. In my experience I haven't had a happy dragon under those lamps. I am currently using a household bulb in my one vivarium (the spotlight type) for heat and light. I'm not sure which type of UV light you are using at the moment, but I really recommend the ReptiSun 10.0 tube light.

I would also get rid of the sand in the vivarium. I am using tiles as a substrate for mine and it is a lot better than sand. You will find a number of discussions on here about the downfalls of using any type of loose substrate. I also have a tile over my heat pad. The beardies don't feel the heat through their bellies, so there is a risk of them getting burnt if they lay directly on the pad. With sand, it is too easy for them to dig their way through the sand to get to the heat pad.

2) Is it normal not to have made NO poo or wee after 23 hours?

The relocation stress and possible shedding is likely the reason why she hasn't pooed yet.

3) Is it normal that she wont eat any veggies as in yet?

Most beardies, especially the ones from pet shops, have to first learn that veggies are edible. I would suggest looking at this site to see which veggies are the best for them: http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html

4) Is it normal that she hasnt drank any water as in yet?

Beardies aren't good at recognising water as something to drink, so if he/she does take water dripping from your finger, it's very good. Once your baby has settled in, I would suggest giving her lukewarm baths every second day.

5) How do I tell her/his gender?

http://www.beardeddragon.org/articles/sexing/

6) Can anyone guess it's age from the size? as we have no idea.

Their sizes vary quite a bit and it is very difficult to tell their age based on size. At 36cm, I think it's pretty much either a juvenile or early adult.

7) gasping with mouth open, is there any other reason to do so apart from getting to hot?

Gasping usually happens when they regulate their body temperature, much like what a dog does. Have you got a thermometer yet? The probe ones are definately the most reliable.

8) Am I turning off heat and bulbs off/on correctly? When should the heating pad be left on?

I live in Warmbaths, and our temps are not quite as cold as yours. I've got all my lights and equipment on timers. The UVB light goes on at 06:30 and off at 21:00, the basking light on at 07:00 and off at 20:00. In winter, the CHE (heater) and heat pad goes on at 22:00 and off at 10:00. The use of a good thermometer is very important to keep their temps correct. My vivs are around 32 degrees Celcius during the day in winter and around 24 at night.

9) How close should the Rock/wood stump be to the UV and Heating bulb for him to lay on?

Your beardie should be able to get to around 8" from the bulb.

Congratulations on your beardie - I'm sure it will bring lots of pleasure to your life.

PS: Online shopping for beardie supplies: http://www.reptilecity.co.za/catalog/

Botha

Original Poster
Thank you so much for all the info and help!! Much, Much apreciated!!

Thank you for the time you took on us too.

We will look into the links you placed!!

We are happy to prenounce that Rango has had a poo and a wee late this afternoon.
Had a bath and Ate some veggies off my fingers.

So, things looking up!!

Best regards

Jacqui & Rudi

wckdbtch

Hatchling Member
Only a pleasure! Feel free to ask - it's what we're here for :) It does help to have contact with people in the same country as you though!

Botha

Original Poster
Thank you for all the help!

You guys are great.

Got him to eat worms and crickets by himself, but still no luck on the vegies!!
Tried mixing the worms and veggies together, still no luck.

he now poo's and wee's. Thats great news

Still not drinking any water. So he gets bath every second day.
is this a big problem?

Thanks

thebenior

Hatchling Member
My dragon Thor doesn't drink at all either, I've tried dripping water into a dish from above, dripping water onto his snout, and splashing water, but he refuses to drink. For the past year, I've relied on bi-weekly soakings, misted greens, and live crickets to get him moisture, and Thor's pretty healthy (so says the vet) and active.

I get him to ingest greens by placing them in his dish before he gets his crickets. Usually, he'll at least sample the greens, especially the pieces that he knocks out of the dish onto the cage floor (tasty floor leaves). Given the chance, I'm pretty sure Thor would eat crickets until he puked, so he'll definitely fill up on tasty bugs over bland greens.

wckdbtch

Hatchling Member
Mine only really started eating greens a short while ago. I put their salad in the viv before I go to work, and no other food until I get home (when they get their worms). I also put a little water under the salad in the dish, both to keep the greens fresher a bit longer, and in the hope that they will by accident drink some of the water.

I also bath both of mine every second day. During their bath, they sometimes drink, but sometimes not. Dripping the water on their noses has worked for me in the past, but not as much as I would like to.

Botha

Original Poster
Hi great

thanks

Eating some veggies now. all advise helped!!

a slight bit of Water in veggie bowl also helps with that.

thanks all

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zazzep
Top Bottom