Help! Large bump in male's belly!

Status
Not open for further replies.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Lack of uvb wouldn't have this extreme effect on an adult unless it was absent for a long time because they need uvb to process calcium and D3 for every function of the body. Lack of proper heat can cause impaction as well. It's possible that he swallowed something while roaming so don't let him out unsupervised for any time at all. Hopefully it's not a growth.

Nitsu

Original Poster
UPDATE:
During his morning bath, he pooped again, however, this poop was largely bright orange, no doubt from the pumpkin. The issue: this large bump is still there while the pumpkin is being digested and pooped. Does this mean he doesn't have an impaction or is this normal for an impaction? Again, I intend to take him to the vet but I am still in quarantine and need to wait for my test results.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is good to hear he did go to the bathroom.
I would say since the lump is still there, that he has probably eaten something he shouldn't
have. Is it any smaller at all?

Tracie

Nitsu

Original Poster
Drache613":1x21nyrt said:
Hello,

That is good to hear he did go to the bathroom.
I would say since the lump is still there, that he has probably eaten something he shouldn't
have. Is it any smaller at all?

Tracie
It seemed a bit smaller, but it's kinda hard to tell. He hasn't eaten anything since I first gave him pumpkin and has turned up both pumpkin and applesauce, should I keep trying this mashed food or give him some solid food like mustard greens? I don't want him to starve.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is hopefully the case it is a bit smaller. You can try some greens if you have them, not a
problem. The softer foods can still be given.
If you have some soft bodied worms such as waxworms or small silkworms, you could try to
feed a few of those.
Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

Nitsu

Original Poster
UPDATE:
I found a way to trick dova into eating his pumpkin when he is being fussy, namely giving him greens with pumpkin on them, he eats some greens, tastes pumpkin, then goes for the rest of the pumpkin.
I measured the bump and it doesn't seem to have gotten any smaller after his 2 poops today. currently working our vet timings.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello!

Poor baby, but at least it doesn't seem to be bothering him. Not sure exactly what he could
have eaten. I hope you are able to get him into a vets so they can at least do an x-ray to see
what is going on there!
Is he acting normally still?

Tracie

Nitsu

Original Poster
Drache613":2ei7jhdm said:
Hello!

Poor baby, but at least it doesn't seem to be bothering him. Not sure exactly what he could
have eaten. I hope you are able to get him into a vets so they can at least do an x-ray to see
what is going on there!

Tracie

Behavior-wise, he has an occasional black beard after pooping in the bath (probably from the strain) and a hard time walking and laying down with this orb in him, so he ends up with more of a waddle and a lopsided way of sitting.

Nitsu

Original Poster
Drache613":31aq80bm said:
Hello!

what is going on there!

Tracie

Behavior-wise, he has an occasional black beard after pooping in the bath (probably from the strain) and a hard time walking and laying down with this orb in him, so he ends up with more of a waddle and a lopsided way of sitting.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is he doing today? Any behavioral changes thus far? Has he eaten much at all since
this has happened?
Continue the fluids & foods, as you can. I hope that you are able to get this taken care of.

Tracie

Nitsu

Original Poster
Drache613":xnig38bl said:
Hello,

How is he doing today? Any behavioral changes thus far? Has he eaten much at all since
this has happened?
Continue the fluids & foods, as you can. I hope that you are able to get this taken care of.

Tracie

Hi Tracie
I got an appointment set with the vet for the 8th for a full checkup/exam, but in other news, he did his first poop in a while without any aid from warm water, with the bump now only juuuuust visible and noticeably smaller, about the size of a large grape. He has been eating pumpkin and a small number of mustard greens with round-the-clock UVB and heat, with water being given in dropper form whenever he has a little smile/opening in his mouth and with encouragement in his daily baths.

I will keep doing updates on how he is doing and if there are any improvements, and will include the vet's analysis when I go on the 8th.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
That's great ! Sounds like the problem is almost resolved ! Your vet won't really need to do anything IF the lump has almost gone. A vet may give you a laxative called Enulose or Lactulose but the natural stuff you've been using is just as good and doesn't cost you much. Plus it's actually healthier for your dragon.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

OH wow, that is really good news for him then! Interesting, so he must have been impacted
by something, maybe he was just dehydrated & didn't have enough fluids in his system. I
think your remedy at home is working just fine.
As AHBD said, they could give a laxative but he may not even need anything like that by the
time you go in.

Tracie

Nitsu

Original Poster
Update for 9/4/21
He pooed again without any issue today and is eating his pumpkin as normal, with only a slight bit of prompting by making mustard green and canned pumpkin taco, as he seems to forget that the pumpkin tastes good every time he sees it (he has never liked orange food). The orb again feels about the size of an airpod/earbud, around the size of a medium grape. While this seems to be working, I will still take him to the vet for a second opinion to make sure he is all right in all other departments, and I'll continue updating until this bump is completely gone, or until I get word from the vet that all is well.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Definitely let us know how the vet visit goes. He may have more suggestions. What you are
doing now seems to be working. Remember also, that reptiles do have a very specialized
digestive system however it is a little slower than mammals' system.
I think it will eventually normalize but it takes some time. At least he is improving & doesn't
seem to be too bothered by it right now.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom