HELP!!!! How can i put my Beardie in Brumation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dubdice23

So i am leaving for a few days and i just found out no one is going to be at home to take care of Papaya. Im still trying to find someone who can take care of him but if i don't the only thing i can think of is putting him in brumation. Since in brumation he won't need much food and he'll just sleep most of the time. How can i do this?

LJean

Extreme Poster
I don't think there is a way to put a dragon in brumation. It is something they do for themselves.

How old is your dragon? Can you buy a timer for the lights?

Doesj

Hatchling Member
dubdice23":d00b8 said:
i can probably buy a timer for it, and his about 2 months old.
How much is the timer?

brumation won't be an option, since baby dragons don't do it...

besides: babies need LOT's of food to keep growing!

LJean

Extreme Poster
I'm not sure how much timers are as I don't have one. They shouldnt cost too much. This way you can at least have the lights on and off while you are gone. Do you have time to buy a bunch of phoenix worms or something similar? You can leave these in a dish for your beardie to eat.

Freeie

Extreme Poster
Yeah that young of a beardie will need alot of food in 2 days. Wayyy to young for brumation and they do that during the winter months on their own.

herpfreak

Gray-bearded Member
If a beardie doesn't want to brumate, it won't. They are so spoiled, they never do anything they don't want to do. :roll:

Besides, little bitty beardies don't brumate; they usually start at a few years old.

If you can't find someone, you could ask a pet store to care for him for a few days, as a last resort. Most people at the pet stores don't know how to care for reptiles, but at least they will feed him and clean up after him.

I got a fancy digital timer with 2 outlets (for my halogen and UV lights) for $16, but I have seen cheaper, single-outlet ones for $5-10, depending on where you go.

TheWolfmanTom

Extreme Poster
Ive gotten timers from 10 to 30 dollars. I am going to repeat the GOOD advice thats already been said. Your beardies is wayyyy to young to burmate, And even adults dont always do it. Ive had mine go 2 years with no VISABLE sign of burmation. Now a 2 month old dragon needs to eat a couple times a day. If you put a lot of food out and go away hoping for the best, you may come home to a sick or passed away beardie. Its a gamble that can go either way, but who wants to gamble like that?

SaNToX76

Hatchling Member
"Besides, little bitty beardies don't brumate; they usually start at a few years old"

Umm, Mine started brumation at a couple months old... she's still doin it and its been goin on since november-ish , Im Trying on getting her to STOP. I have a post up about it as of today (Brumation Period) because it seems like too long to be healthy...

herpfreak

Gray-bearded Member
SaNToX76":1cc66 said:
"Besides, little bitty beardies don't brumate; they usually start at a few years old"

Umm, Mine started brumation at a couple months old... she's still doin it and its been goin on since november-ish , Im Trying on getting her to STOP. I have a post up about it as of today (Brumation Period) because it seems like too long to be healthy...
Really? Wow! That's early.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk
Hi everyone, I have a question please. I have a thick branch I got from outside. It has been in freezing temperatures so I know that it is insect free. I took it off the ground and sat it up during a night we got down to 15 so the entire thing would freeze. Well tonight I put white vinegar all over it too cleanse it since it won't fit in my oven. Do I need to rinse with water tomorrow or is it fine left alone dried?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jai67
Top Bottom