Help find a solution for stable lighting & easy access

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lindseysteph14

My husband so graciously surprised me with a 75 gallon tank to upgrade my bearded dragon from his 40. I had been thinking about upgrading for a while but couldn’t get myself to spend that much when my boy isn’t that big yet (he’s a runt and always been small for his age) and didn’t require more space yet. He found a used one for sale and surprised me with it.

Super sweet, but it isn’t the type of enclosure I was looking for. It has a single piece wire mesh top and that is the only way to access the inside. Right now I have my 150w basking light and tube uvb sitting on top of the wire. The only problem I have is that every time I feed him, clean the tank, or take him out I have to move the lights and screen over halfway in order to reach inside. It’s become pretty frustrating and I’ve noticed I haven’t been handling my dragon as much cause it’s a whole process to move the lights.

If anyone could share some advice on how I can somehow either hang my lights from the wall, or clamp them to the side oh the tank and leave the top off completely I would appreciate it. I know you can buy light clamps from zoo med for the heat lamp and that’s my plan but my biggest stump is what to do with the uvb dome.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I'm sure he will enjoy the extra space. They like to roam around and explore at any age. You're seeing the big downside of using the aquarium type of enclosure without a front opening door - it makes access a bit trickier.

I would try getting an adjustable light stand for your dome fixture. https://www.chewy.com/zoo-med-reptile-lamp-stand/dp/154842 That will let you hang the fixture and raise/lower the light as needed. For UVB, I suggest getting a T5 fixture and bulb that you can sit across the top of the enclosure. The strength of a T5 is helpful in a larger enclosure, and they have an optimal output at around 12-14'' above the main basking area. They are out of stock in a lot of places at the moment, but keep checking around for something similar to the Arcadia T5 Pro like this https://www.lightyourreptiles.com/arcadia-pro-t5-fixture-12-bulb-35-sale/

My enclosure has front opening doors, but I have the lights suspended above the enclosure. Here are some photos that may help give you ideas on how to set it up.

This is with a 36'' fixture that runs the length of the enclosure along the front.
76248-4037503768.jpg

This is with a 24'' fixture set at an angle over the basking area.
76248-9137766766.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom